German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD wheight on 5 month?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  joe_linda88 
#1 ·
hey...Just got back from an ordinary Vet visit , and Zoe is 44 lbs and the vet said tht it's a good wheight ,on 17 she'll be 5 mnth , i's wondering about ur GSD's wheight on their 5th month , cheers'

john.

#5 ·
London was 45 pounds at 5 months and shot up to 70 pounds at 8 months. They really grow like crazy between 4-6 months. So get ready!

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: London's MomLondon was 45 pounds at 5 months and shot up to 70 pounds at 8 months. They really grow like crazy between 4-6 months. So get ready!
That's a very scary thought.
Odin is only 47ish pounds right now and he'll be 7 months this Sunday. He's been in the 40 range forever, but he's pretty much just legs, ears, and a super long tongue lol.

#8 ·
well i guess she'll be in the 60 range in her 6th month , i can see her growing week after week but was wondering if she's going to be on the small size, i'll keep u updated as much as i can , thanx for the replies :), cheers.

john.

#10 ·
2 days after her 5 month "birthday" Siren weighed 50 1/2lbs. She is now 17 months old and the last time I weighed her a month ago, she weighed 69lbs.

There's no way to know for sure if she will be on the "small side' at this point. Some puppies are fast growers and get most of their height and a lot fo their weight early and really slow down with the growth early. Others grow slower, but for a longer period of time.

Siren grew like a bad weed until she hit 6 months. At 6 months she was already taller than both of her parents and weighed the same, or more than, many folks ADULT females. Luckily she virtually stopped getting taller after 6 months and REALLY slowed down on the weither gain.

#11 ·
Originally Posted By: JesseMy boy weighed 63lbs at 6 months. Plus I keep him a little on the lean side.
This is also something to keep in mind. There are MANY pups that are heavier than others, but unless you SEE them, you don't know if they are at the ideal weight for their "size" or if they are FAT. (And MANY of them are too fat.)

MUCH better that they are kept on the lean side.

#12 ·
My puppy is very lean, but very tall and weighs 52lbs at 5 months old (will be 5 months on the 10th).

People always comment on how "skinny" he is and say that he should weigh more, but I like him lean. He is nice and lean, not skinny. People really don't know what a healthy puppy/dog looks like anymore.

#13 ·
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117People always comment on how "skinny" he is and say that he should weigh more, but I like him lean. He is nice and lean, not skinny. People really don't know what a healthy puppy/dog looks like anymore.

I had someone ask my why Siren was so "skinny". I said, "She ISN'T skinny, she just isn't FAT!" You could see he had a "lightbulb moment" and he said, "Yeah, I guess you're right".

#14 ·
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
elisabeth_00117 said:
People always comment on how "skinny" he is and say that he should weigh more, but I like him lean. He is nice and lean, not skinny. People really don't know what a healthy puppy/dog looks like anymore.
Lol I get that all the time too. People dont know what a healthy dog should look like. They want them all fat. I guess some people dont get it.

#15 ·
Yeah, I also get that alll the time when i'm out with Odin. People telling me to add bacon grease to his kibble, tripling his food, etc.

#16 ·
I get that then when I tell them he is on the raw diet, I get looks of disgust and then they give me a lecture on worms, nutrition (kibble is great especially the kind you get at the vets or grocery store) and then how to train my dog.. ugh.. people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.