German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Advancing Heart Disease :-(
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
LisaT
Crowned Member

Advancing Heart Disease :-(

Of all the things in this world that I could live without, I cannot imagine living without Indy

Just had Indy's follow-up with the cardiologist. Her grade II murmur has progressed to grade IV. And while that doesn't mean that her heart has worsened, in Indy's case, it does.

One of the "thingees" that holds her heart valve in place snapped, which is why the murmur progressed so rapidly. It was only 5 months ago that she was at a grade 2. The echocardiogram shows that she has passed mild heart disease, and now is in a low to moderate disease state. We recheck in 6 months to see if she has progressed to Congestive Heart Failure.

So those supplements I started to help the cartilage in the valve because her murmur became so loud, were started too late.

I hate facing the fact that she is mortal, and at this potential end stage, I have spent no time with her, due to circumstances that I can't control. Her world has become so small lately, it breaks my heart.

The cardiologist said it is most likely genetic, and since most that know Indy think that she has some whippet in her, that very well might be were it came from.

Tomorrow we run a blood panel for a baseline, and then start her on the ACE inhibitor Enaparil. I'm just crushed that it has advanced so quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome