German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How'd you start OB with your pup?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Amaruq
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: How'd you start OB with your pup?

I started with Jethro when he first came, to an extent. He was always an over-enthusiastic eater and food would put him almost immediately into over-drive. So we worked on sits, eye contact, "calm"......Just last weekend I had him at an SV style show and during a break I took him out on the clubs SCH field with a cuz and he was doing some BEAUTIFUL heeling- nice focus, nearly perfect positioning for 8, 12 to 15 steps. I held the cuz at waist level in front of me and he was looking good. I had him on the 33 foot leash but was not holding it. After several steps I would toss the cuz for him to chase down and play for a minute and then do it over again. I did about 5 or 6 sessions with no more than 15 or so steps. He nailed it EVERY time and was rewarded with short play sessions. This was really the first time I worked on any heeling with him. As he was heeling I simply repeated calmly "goooooood fusssssssss" and JUST before I threw the cuz I would give him his release word (which we are just starting to implement). I am looking forward to working on this some more away from home with different locations/distractions. He was 21 weeks old, just under 5 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome