German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Missing Child in Mo found and SAR ?'s
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
NancyJ
Zombie Queen Moderator

Re: Missing Child in Mo found and SAR ?'s

I think it is very complex

There are a large number of SAR teams who really don't put in the necessary work and they do things like contact the family, the press, just "show up" etc. We have seen some of that "freelancers" etc. and they make the LE skittish when they see these folks mangling up scenes and diverting their energies from the job at hand.

That kind of nonsense hurts the legitimate teams because it gives the impression everyone is that way. And it seems to be growing.

People can even get the "certifications" out the wazoo and that may not be an indication of quality. Certifications are necessary but I have seen too many dogs with a peice of paper who were not "all that".

I think the better teams have worked very hard to work one on one relationships in advance with the folks who may call them out, train with them, act professional and only field competent teams. That is often done one county at a time and it can take many years for that relationship to develop into a strong working bond.

IF I were managing a search and I knew there was a "dog team" somewhere I probably would not call them in unless I really knew about their capabilities. Unprepared searchers and well meaning volunteers can redirect an entire search effort to a rescue mission for someone on the SAR team

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome