German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Introducing new pup to other house dog
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
onyx'girl
Crowned Member

Re: Introducing new pup to other house dog

How old is the pup? Why are you getting another pup to keep outside? Does the breeder know this will be the arrangement? Has Nadia been socialized with other dogs, or just confined to the back yard. It makes a huge difference in the introduction if Nadia is only in her territory, and not out and about in the real world. She may act hostile to an intruder. Sorry for all the Q's. I just brought home a pup and wouldn't dream of keeping him outside or in a laundry room. He was fine in my bedroom in a crate from the first night. I just put my hands inside if he wimpered and he sniffed them, settled back down to sleep... this was (I believe) because my pups breeder did everything right in getting these babies ready for their new homes, crate training included. The breeder has older dogs that socialized the pups, as well. This link is great, it shows the right way to get the pups off to the best start in life: http://www.wildhauskennels.com/purchaseinfo2.htm
I have two females 4 and 2 and they are dog socialized. I had no problems whatsoever introducing the puppy to them. I had him in my arms for the first sniffs and told my girls they were good dogs, happy praising voice positive vibes. Then one at a time I introduced him to them while he was on the floor. NOT outside where they could take after him if he ran. This is important especially for a prey driven dog, IMO.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome