German Shepherds Forum banner

Housebreaking advise?

691 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lauri & The Gang 
#1 ·
Got this email a few min ago, I have given him advise and a few things that he can try. Any additional info. would be welcomed

Thanks,
Jules

In mid-Oct. we rescued a female GSD, she is approx. 2 years old. At an early age, she was a breeder surrender due to neglect. Then she was adopted out to the 'perfect family' who left her in the back yard where she was starved down to 35 pounds. Luckily, she was picked up for a second time by animal protection services and turned over to a local rescue group. She was vetted and sent to a canine training facility to get healthy and learn some manners. Twenty pounds and four months later, we picked her up and brought her home.

We call her Autumn. She is my second GSD and a wonderful dog. She is happier and healthier and getting more confident every day. One small problem...she is not house broken!! She is on a very dependable schedule and has ample opportunity to do her business outdoors. (5-6 breaks per day) I also lift the water bowl in the evening after dinner. She doesn't have accidents frequently, but, she will pee and poo in the house. For this reason, she is crated when we are not able to keep our eyeballs on her every move. (about 4 hours per day and at night). She will not mess in her crate. When she is not in the crate she is gated into our kitchen because the floors there are vinyl. Much easier to clean than carpet!

She hasn't ever lived indoors, so I don't really know what to expect. In your experience, does it take this long for an adult dog to become house broken? Do you have any suggestions that might be helpful? She doesn't make any attempt to let us know she would like to go out, so it is almost always discovered after the fact. In the beginning she had no way of knowing that the behavior is unacceptable, however, I have caught her in the act a few times so at least she understands that now. I can tell she feels bad when I discover a mess...but it doesn't seem to stop her.

Is there anything I should be doing other than strict routine and crating to help with the house breaking? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! I am looking so forward to her having the 'run' of the house. Thank you!!

Dru

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.