German Shepherds Forum banner

first dog

4K views 40 replies 41 participants last post by  gmcenroe 
#1 ·
what breed was the first dog you owned?

#2 ·
First dog we ever had when I was a kid (it was always cats were OK, but no dog) was a small mix named Charlie. Near as we could tell he was part dachsund and part terrier. Great little dog.

#4 ·
German shepherd when I was 16. Before that there were 2 other GSDs in the house but he was the first that was MINE. 4 More GSDs after him and stack of rescues. Nothing but shepherds. We used to call our house Heaton's Home for Wayward German Shepherds.

#5 ·
First dog I owned or first dog I lived with?

My parents got a puppy a year before I was born. She was a mixed breed. They got her from friends who had a "cockapoo" (cocker spaniel/poodle mix) who had a litter. The father was unknown, maybe part terrier. Tansy was about 17 pounds and 12" at the shoulder, she looked a little like a tiny sheepdog except when she was shaved for the summer- then she looked like a JRT/poodle mix.

Tansy

The first dog I actually owned myself was my stray rescue Golden Retriever.

#7 ·
The first breed we ever had was a Dalmatian who was rescued from an organization at that time called I believe Adopt a Pet where they helped people rehome their dogs but they remained in the home, we adopted him for 25.00 and he was a 1 1/2 yr old and had been through 2 different homes, we were his last where he passed away too short lived (for me) at the age of 10y in my arms, he was probably a BYB dalmatian he was never the healthest but loved him all the same and he was awesome.

#9 ·
First dog was Natasha a Great Dane, my parents had her about a year before I was born and my mother told me stories about Natasha sleeping under my crib, and when I'd cry in the night she'd jump up and knock the swinging crib door open locking her under my crib until my mother freed her. She passed away when I was 7-8 but I still remember her pretty well considering that was 35 years ago.

Greg

#12 ·
I grew up with my dad's hunting dog, Wing, an English Setter.

However, the first dog I owned was a GSD.

#14 ·
GSD named Burbon and I was a baby!
When I finally was able to get a dog on my own first house we got a GSD named Barron

#18 ·
When small we always had Stafforshire Bull Terriers. Also had one or two Bull Terriers and a Maltese Poodle. I never really owned any dogs while still at home as most had short lived lives at our house. With short lived I mean they were re-homed after the first car tyre or garden they destroyed.
MY first dog, who I bought with money from my first job was a black great dane female. I saw her in a petshop and fell in love. She had been held in a cage so long her feet started to grow all crooked. It looked like she was walking around with huge clown shoes. Poor thing. After about 4 years living with me we re-homed her to a family with kids where she could get loads of attention. She loves them and they her. Now, since my surroundings and such has changed I got a GSD. So he is in fact my second dog!

#22 ·
My 1st dog was a GSD, Apollo from my Parents "A" litter back in 1969, named after the Apollo 11 landing.
He was a mono child, only dropped one, my Dad would not sell him so I got to keep him.
Had him for about a year & a half, till the day my Dad gave him to the local k9 unit that was looking for a new dog.
I was about 11, when the cop my Dad & myself went out into a field out back of our house.
The cop pretended to hit my dad with his stick, my Dad went down. Apollo took the 6 foot 3 cop down, without a sound.
My Dad rolled over and grabbed him by his collar and pulled him off the cop.
He was a Great dog, I never forgave my Dad for giving him away.

#24 ·
When I was a child we had a Gordon Setter. My grandparents raised, showed and did field trials with them.

As an adult (in 1982) my first dog was a German Shepherd Dog - Sheba. I had her for only 5 shorts years before we had to send her to the Rainbow Bridge due to complications of epilepsy ~ unknown cause.
She started my love affair with the breed!

Sheba was literally a "junk yard dog" ~ she was born in a junk yard bred by the owner who had 2 registered GSD's and wanted more "guard dogs" for his junkyard.
I was a rookie Police Officer and he offered to give the "extras" for free to police officers. Fortunately he quit keeping "guard dogs" in the junk yard shortly after this due to civil liability of thieves getting bit after trespassing on the property. I was so ignorant about BYBs back then!!

Despite her sad start in life and untimely death, she was a wonderful dog, was very intelligent and was so gentle with my baby daughter.

#26 ·
My first dog as an adult was a lab mix. I was still living at home and my dad didn't like GSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.