German Shepherds Forum banner

Avalanche Training

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rhino 
#1 ·
Anybody else doing avalanche training with their GSD? It is so much fun for the dogs (and handlers too).

One of our search subjects from training last weekend posted a video clip of Benny here. It is brief, but it shows what it is like to be buried in a snow cave and found by a dog.

Jonathan and K9

(facebook login required)

#2 ·
Thanks for sharing - not a facebook member

No avalanches in SC
but I imagine with global warming avalanches will become more of a problem.

I guess we could share swamp stuff and being caught up in waitaminute vines.

#3 ·
In my team we don't do avalanche training, we are not in a sky center or something and there is no use in arriving two hours later after an avalanche, but we do work snow in winter as lost mountaineers can dig a cave in the snow to protect themselves or be covered by snow and we want our dogs to expect that somebody can be under the white thing. I love those trainings since I'm a huge mountains fan.

Bored eeeeh? Writing in the snow walls

#4 ·
Sorry about the facebook login; I just signed up myself just so I could watch the video clip. I only have one friend

The ski patrol dog teams in my area would likely be the first on scene at an avalanche, and they are the ones that train for that the most. But we could be called later for search and recovery. More importantly, we respond to search missions in avalanche terrain, and want to be prepared to rescue our own teammates in the event that one is involved in an avalanche.

#5 ·
We do not have avalanches here either. But we DO get a lot of snow. When I was in SAR we used to practice in the snow with people buried in drifts or under the ground cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.