German Shepherds Forum banner

Rehoming - Would you do it?

111K views 243 replies 91 participants last post by  ragingbullm 
#1 ·
If you had a GSD who had an OK life with you and you loved the dog very much, but all of a sudden an awesome home would come up where you knew your dog would be even better than with you... Spoiled to death, be able to go to work with the new owner every day, etc. Would you rehome him/her even though you know you would have a hard time letting go?

I never thought I could, but unfortunately I've had to do it more than once now. First with my White GSD who was being harrased by my other dogs constantly, it was so bad she was petrified of coming near my other dogs and started pooping in the basement and licking her legs pink. I cried for months after rehoming her, but she is in a great home now and spoiled to death, doesn't have to worry about other dogs bulling her.

Then about 5 months ago I had to do it again with my Yorkie Tallan. Gala thought Tallan was a chew toy and had no respect for her. In fact, I could not give Tallan any attention cause Gala would get so jealous she would attack her afterwards. I could not keep risking Tallan's life and she was not happy and constantly afraid where she didn't even want to come out of my bedroom anymore (where Gala was not allowed).

Last week I saw Tallan again, I gave her to a family friend and she is so freaking spoiled it isn't funny and they love her to death! She has a HUGE fenced in yard to run in, a new sister that is her size and whom Tallan bosses around.
I saw her so happy that I knew I had done the right thing for her.

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote: Exactly!!! Rehoming my dogs was not a decision I made in a matter of days, it was a matter of months, till I realized how miserable they were. Why put them through that? Just so you can show the world what a GREAT owner you are because you would never get rid of your dog? Well I'm sorry, to me a GREAT owner is the one that puts the dog's well beeing before anything els
Why would someone need to show the world there a great owner for? If they choose not to re-home there dogs? If they choose to work through the troubles?

And there are many dogs out there living happy lives crated or kenneled! but still getting that quality time with their people!

#28 ·
Quote: In the event that I had two complelely incompatible dogs and there was no way to do separate rotations or something to keep everyone safe and I absolutely HAD to rehome a dog then I would place the dog I had brought in most recently.
Exactly.. Not up root the dogs that had been there for years..

#29 ·
i wouldn't give my dog up because of the statements in your first paragraph. the only thing different someone could do for my dog would be taking him to work. my dog is well taken care of (spoiled).

rehoming a dog because because it's not getting along with the other dogs, yes, you have to. if you tried honestly on trying to make it work out and the dogs just won't do it you have to for the benefit of all the dogs involved. i'm sure you found a home for your White Shep that takes great care of her. She's in a better situation. even though you had to rehome her you were still providing for her in the best possible way. in her new home the love and caring continues.

i'm sure it's hard on you because you had to rehome two dogs, but you should feel better knowing you found them good homes. Tallan (nice name) is living with a family that spoils her and she has a fenced yard. when you think about how well the dogs are doing you know you did the right thing.

would i rehome my dog? if the situation wasn't working out for my dog and i couldn't make it better, yes i would. i think i have some agreement with my breeder in the event that i must rehome my dog she gets for choice.
Originally Posted By: GSDBESTK9If you had a GSD who had an OK life with you and you loved the dog very much, but all of a sudden an awesome home would come up where you knew your dog would be even better than with you... Spoiled to death, be able to go to work with the new owner every day, etc. Would you rehome him/her even though you know you would have a hard time letting go?

I never thought I could, but unfortunately I've had to do it more than once now. First with my White GSD who was being harrased by my other dogs constantly, it was so bad she was petrified of coming near my other dogs and started pooping in the basement and licking her legs pink. I cried for months after rehoming her, but she is in a great home now and spoiled to death, doesn't have to worry about other dogs bulling her.

Then about 5 months ago I had to do it again with my Yorkie Tallan. Gala thought Tallan was a chew toy and had no respect for her. In fact, I could not give Tallan any attention cause Gala would get so jealous she would attack her afterwards. I could not keep risking Tallan's life and she was not happy and constantly afraid where she didn't even want to come out of my bedroom anymore (where Gala was not allowed).

Last week I saw Tallan again, I gave her to a family friend and she is so freaking spoiled it isn't funny and they love her to death! She has a HUGE fenced in yard to run in, a new sister that is her size and whom Tallan bosses around.
I saw her so happy that I knew I had done the right thing for her.

#30 ·
So a breeder who has females getting older, they should all retire with the owner and never be rehomed? I have rehomed dogs that didn't work out in my breeding program. I have 2 seniors in the house (one spayed pet, other retired female). So if I go off of everyone's scenario here, I'd never be a breeder again because I would end up with 15 dogs with just one litter. After all, when you are a breeder the pups are technically being "rehomed" whether for a purchase fee or a so called "adoption" fee. If you have 3 females for breeding, eventually they would retire, then what would you have to replace them in your program?

I have rehomed animals that absolutely wouldn't get along, I have others I have rescued and are still here. Vishnu was rescued, the 2 cats I have are rescued. The cats have to be kept separated so they don't fight. As my situation will most likely be changing in a couple of years, I will be downsizing after Duchess and Oxana pass on. Guess that makes me a horrible person.

How many of you have euthanized instead of rehoming a dog? I would hope no one unless it was a severe medical issue and no hope. I would think rehoming would be better than being put down especially if the dog is better off some where else. It's no different than when you do have to put down a dog for health reasons as to what is BEST FOR THE DOG. If that is being put down for health reasons, or being rehomed due to a hostile environment, it's still what is important to the dog.

#31 ·
I've done it twice too. In both cases because of SAR, that's why I'm so insistent in the commitment it requires when someone ask for information.

First time it was my first very own dog, a Border Collie named Chemukh. After several years of training it became obvious she was not cut for he job. I wanted to keep her anyways, but I lived alone, in little studio with no car, and if you know BCs, you'll know that it is not enough for them, specially for one who has been used to go to hike, camp and train every weekend and a couple of trips to the on-leash park was not near enough. She was a dog that needed a job to do and I had to make the decision of looking a working home for her or quitting SAR to do something like agility with her and... sorry, but that is not an option. She is now doing agility, living in the country with lots of space to run and a pack of other dogs to play, sleeping in the bed of her new owners. I kept working with her while living in her new home as she was also my TV dog and that was the agreement, but she's officially retired now as the owners had been nice enough to keep bothering them. Her actual owner is also known as the public prosecutor of the animals, in every mayor case against animal abuse or endangered species traffic, he's behind. I can't think of a better home.

In the second case, Auca is probably the better dog I've ever owned, a mix I've always liked of GSD and Belgian shepherd and the most gorgeous dog ever. I raised and trained her in SAR and she is darn good at it! So when I had to move 1600 km. away looking for a job I had to take the decision of taking her with me to be my pet, training for some obedience in a city where there is not even competitions or to leave her behind, working as a SAR dog with another handler.

It was, it is! extremely painful, specially because he first handler didn't worked, later this guy somehow let her to become pregnant (and he was kicked off of the team because of that) and during all that time I thought she would be better with me, but at the end, in this case is not about me and is not even about the dog, is about he big scheme of things. From the moment I trained her to SAR she was not mine anymore, I signed the agreement. She passed our local certification test and has been on her first real search. Now I'm working with Auca and her new handler preparing her to certify through IRO in April and there is no minute I do not somehow regret not keeping her, she's all I like in a dog, but as long as I'm not living in Santiago I can't be her handler and she is and should be, a SAR dog.

#32 ·
Boy some are reading way too much into this thread..

As I said before Carolina posed a question and I answered..

#33 ·
I don't think so. You are talking about rehoming. Rehoming is rehoming no matter what shade of grey you want to look at. Breeders rehome dogs, so I guess that makes us scum and everyone else saints?

You said" Never... I'd have to be homeless before I'd ever consider getting rid of my dogs.. and then I'd try to work something out (temporary solution) with family and friends..

I've thought about it myself but could never do that to my dogs.. "
and "I can pretty much say NEVER!!!! unless I was homeless!"

but what about putting down a dog? people do it all the time for one reason or another but better to put one down than rehome it and I know people on here who have done it. So that's better than rehoming?

just asking for clarification here.

She asked, I gave an opinion as well.

#34 ·
Wow, interesting discussion going on.
My first thought was that if you are in a multiple dog household I have to think it would be easier than if you are rehoming your only dog? (that is the perspective that i am coming from)

i'd have to agree with many others out there. I want to say that I would never, but i do not feel that i have any right to any kind of "judgement" towards someone who has. (although some cases DO warrant judgement... ie, an irresponsible owner getting a puppy because its cute and with no prior research, doing no obedience or training, and then getting rid of it because it misbehaviors or got too big, etc. although those people don't bother with the "rehome" and just dump in the shelter, or worse, the streets).

I can't imagine how unbelievably hard it would be to do it. i bet that knowing they are in a better place probably helps, but still- i don't know how i would handle it (emotionally/ mentally). Then again, Riley is currently my only dog and it would leave a HUGE hole in my life. If had more than one dog, the big hole maybe would not be as apparent.

#35 ·
Quote:It's no different than when you do have to put down a dog for health reasons as to what is BEST FOR THE DOG. If that is being put down for health reasons, or being rehomed due to a hostile environment, it's still what is important to the dog.
I think that's absolutely true up to a point. In a case where someone had a major medical emergency, say become paralyzed, and realized they could no longer take care of their dogs the way they needed to be cared for then yes - rehoming is what's best of the dog, the dog's need is the priority - all as it should be.

Where I do not have the same feeling are all the "best for the dog" situations that show up every day where the owner wants to get rid of a dog because of a lifesyle choice that they themselves have made irrespective of what's best of the dog. I see those all the time in rescue - "we moved and the new house doesn't have a big yard" "we are traveling more now and just don't have time" etc. If someone voluntarily makes a lifestyle change that results in a decline in circumstances for the dog, they aren't making decisions based on what's best for the dog, they are doing what they're going to do, irrespective of what's best for the dog and asking the dog to make the adjustments. Very different situation IMO.

#36 ·
Yes, for the sake of the dog I would absolutely do it. Kind of the same thing that has happened to me with foster dogs....I do get attached but know that the dog in their new home will have even a better life than I could give.

#37 ·
Quote: but what about putting down a dog? people do it all the time for one reason or another but better to put one down than rehome it?
YES! If the dog is a nut job, a liability to where people will be harmed or seriously injured..

#38 ·
But what about those that aren't, those that would just do better as a single dog home or one without kids?

My 12.5 yr old female is a fear biter. She is spayed, has never been bred. She's been a fear biter since we got her. I just learned to put her in another room if people were over. Never rehomed her, though many people would've done that or worse put her to sleep. I just learned to control her, but not everyone has the time or patience to do that. Yes she is a liability, but she's still here.

#40 ·
Very grateful for this thread.

I am majorly struggling with this decision right now.

A Jack Russell Terrier we rescued 3 months ago. He is a TRUE terrier and has every major dog problem you can think of, he digs, he pees in my house, he barks most of the time at squirrels, birds, etc., he chews EVERYTHING, he sheds, he has bitten me and my DH, TO many times to count, my GSD Shadow has attacked him twice now (once severe), he bullies and trys to dominate my other 3 dogs, and he wants to kill my 11 year old cat (first born) who is now confined to a room scared out of her mind, she used to have the run of the house (I even got her and my other 3 dogs to get along).

He has to be crated most of the time.

I had a whole thread in aggression about him. I have tried a lot of things. There is still MORE to try.

But I have 3 children too.

This is stressing me out to the point I am getting physically sick.

Also, finding someone to take him. OR should I?
My DH said, we cannot give this dog to someone as aggressive as he is.
The 3 rescues I have tried are full.

Sorry to dump here at the risk of high jacking a thread. I am just beside myself.

Also I do not want to be all the other bad owners who use all the reasons above to dump their dogs. I want to be part of the solution and rescue, NOT part of the problem.

If I could find a working home, someone would did a JRT sport, like earth dog, etc. I would give him to them. He would love that.

If I still have him this summer that is what I want to do for him.
This is killing me.

#43 ·
Daisy1986, I believe there is always the right home for each dog, you just have to find it, it may take a while but if you try hard enough, I think you will find the right home. I would try and find as many JRT boards as possible and see if anyone with JRT experience would be willing to work with the dog, or know of someone who could.

#44 ·
Thank you for your respone GSDBESTK9.

We had a JRT before. She just did not have this drive. I have heard and read about drive...this is just my first experience with it. Wow! I know someone in the sporting world would LOVE him.

I am trying to stay sympathatic to his needs. I know he is just as frustrated as I am.

To find him a home that someone could work him would be wonderful for everyone. (OR maybe open a mole hunting business), he got one the other day, it was unseasonably warm, yikes he is a lighting fast!

He just seems to be getting worse here instead of better.

#45 ·
My parents lab (my former family dog) is a nut case. He's way overly protective of my family, and growls at stranger coming into the home, even if they are a friend. Our vet actually told us he was a dog that she would probably recomend be put down. But to us, he is a loving, loyal, and sweet dog. They couldn't put him down because he's a nut, they just control the situations he's put in. We put him in a crate in a separate room when people come over. We have a very secure fence that he's in, even though when off loose he won't leave the property, and if he does, he's usually normal when on leash out and about. I'd feel like a real jerk if we had put him down just because he was an inconvience. And yes, we did socialize him like crazy as a pup. He went out everywhere with me, to people's houses, we had people over, but as he hit around 9-10 months he was just a an overprotective nut.

#47 ·
Quote:Breeders rehome dogs, so I guess that makes us scum and everyone else saints?
If that's how you feel! But I never said that!

Nor have I knocked anyone for re-homing their dogs, that's there prerogative nor am I against it... Nor do I feel I'm a better person because I won't re-home mine.. and definitely not for the reason Carolina listed..

Like I said some are reading way to much into this thread..

#48 ·
My dog's wellbeing and happiness comes FIRST.

1. If my home was unsuitable and the dog was not happy, and
2. Another home was ideal re wellbeing/happiness of the dog, then

yes.

Having said that, my home WAS unsuitable(highrise in metropolitan city) so I moved to a cute apartment in the country. Not everyone can do that, or should.

Right now, I can say this: I *will be* an even better home for Grimm in about 1.5 - 2 years. Right now, his adolesent intensity craves more action, more adventure, more thrills.. he's a teenager and I'm 42 with health issues. I currently do the best that I can for him. By the time he is 3.5 - 4 and more settled, he will be perfectly fulfilled with the level of excersise, playtime, training games, and resting together that we share even more. Then, we will mesh together even better.

#49 ·
But when comments are made that appear to be judgmental from other posts (in general here) I don't see where that's reading too much. I'm throwing other information out there for people to see it's not always black and white no matter how much we would like it to be.

End the end you have to do what your conscience and your morals allow.

#50 ·
I did not plan on chiming in until I read the above post about the Jack Russell Terrier. Please feel free to PM me.

As for the question- I have re-homed 2 dogs as an adult. I say it that way because my bleoved Schipperke was given away when I was 12 and I was not given a choice in that matter. I was heartbroken and wanted to die.

The first dog I rehomed was my beautiful, wonderful JRT named Tori. It is a long story, but suffice it to say that I had no choice. I was a stay-at-home mom with a newborn and a 2-yr. old who was very young and very ignorant to different methods of training that I could have used to help her wildly jealous behavior after my second son was born. I was not looking to rehome her, but I was approached by a family friend who knew her and her brother. I did it. I suffered with severe guilt for several years. I would not get another dog. I was so devastated. Eventually, I got into rescue and my Sophie healed my heart. I did not take Sophie until I had checked with Tori's family. If they had been willing, I would have taken her back. I didn't ask for her and she was doing wonderfully. I was the one who was a mess!

My second re-homing was just as difficult. He was a foster that we kept and for health reasons, he began to need someone who could be with him 24/7. I tried to get my boss to let me bring him to work, thought about quitting my job. Then, God sent Bosco an angel and I let him go to a new home. It was so difficult on my boys. But, I let them make the decision. They were 6& 9 at the time. If a child can be selfless enough to give up their dog so he can have a better life, then so can I. I was never more proud of my boys. They learned a true lesson of how to put the dog's needs before their own.

I will not judge anyone for rehoming. But, I do think it is a case by case basis.

#51 ·
To answer the OP: I can't at this time imagine a situation that would cause me to consider rehoming either of my dogs, but I would certainly not hesitate to do so if it was in their best interests. If it was just a case of the dogs not getting along together, I would keep them separated at all times (which is what I'm doing right now). It's really not a big deal for me, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.