German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - What to do about the dew claw?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
LisaT
Crowned Member

What to do about the dew claw?

When I was drying Max's paw tonight before coming in, he yelped and wanted to nip at me (poor boy -- he never does that!). I looked down and his dew claw is at almost a 90 degree angle with his paw. I looked around it a bit -- VERY SENSITIVE, and VERY bloody up in that area where the nail goes into the paw. I can't tell if the nail has been pulled out in a weird way, or if the nail itself if kinda broke/bent, but not clear through.

He goes out in the yard and runs in circles barking at the birds and the planes, and I suspect that he caught it on something. I think it started a couple of days ago, as he has been licking that paw a bit.

Okay, so now, about 20 minutes later, he is walking on it, playing on it if I let him, and completely leaving it alone.

So, let's say he hasn't torn it out, but it's kinda bent, and probably hurts when it gets banged. What would the vet do with that?

So, let's say it's a bit torn out, what would the vet do with that?

He keeps smelling it (the blood probably?). We have an acupuncture appointment on Tuesday -- I'm not sure there is anything they can do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome