German Shepherds Forum banner

Resource guarding Non-GSD

5K views 59 replies 11 participants last post by  Daisy1986 
#1 ·
I adopted a Jack Russell Terrier 2 months ago. I have had one before. She was from a puppy though. This guy is approx. 2 yrs. old.

He gets things he is not suppose to have, tissue, paper towels, my human kids toys, etc. I am doing my best to keep these things from him.

When you try to take them away he goes all "cujo". I just ignore it. But it is getting worse instead of better. I keep thinking....is this dog really going to bite me? He went for my face today. I worry about my kids. He does this to my 3 dogs too.

He is also like this when he sleeps. If you touch him.

He has a HUGE prey drive. He is neutered.

How do I make this better? Will this get better?

Thank you for your help.

#2 ·
I would practice trading him higher value items for the lower value items he has - in other words, when he gives up what he has, he gets a reward. This will take a lot of work though.

Some dogs have a startle erflex when you wake them - it could be that is the situation with him.

Have you taken him to a training class?

#3 ·
No I have not.

This is for sure what I need to do with all four of my dogs.

I have been lucky that there has not been any other major problems other than this.

I needed to have the first dog well trained BEFORE I brought in more dogs.

I have read many things about training. BUT I know I need to get him and Shadow to a training class.

There maybe some offered soon through Shadow's rescue.

Would a treat be something to trade??

#4 ·
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986

Would a treat be something to trade??
If he likes treats then YES. ANYTHING that he likes better than what he has will work. Though be warned, he might figure out that stealing "stuff" he isn't supposed to have will get him a treat.

Siren isn't agressive when she gets ahold of something she shouldn't, she thinks it is a big game and wants me to chase her. I have taught her what "trade" means. If she gets something I don't want her to have, I just say "TRADE" and she spits out what ever she has and comes running for a treat. Then I am able to get whatever she had in the first place.

#5 ·
You know, now that you explain it like that.

I remember getting the trade advice about Shadow. Not sure if it was you Tracy.

Shadow was eating lava rocks outside.

I should have thought of that with Bruno. He puts down his jaws on a piece of paper and you cannot pry it open.

My DH was doing this today, (wrestling to get something out of his mouth), I said wait let me try something...Bruno saw me open the treat cabnet and dropped it,

You are right though JRT's are smart, I will watch him picking up the concept. Next thing you know he will be bringing me paper.....

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: ddI would practice trading him higher value items for the lower value items he has - in other words, when he gives up what he has, he gets a reward. This will take a lot of work though.

Some dogs have a startle erflex when you wake them - it could be that is the situation with him.

Have you taken him to a training class?
I will have to look up this erflex, never heard of it.

#7 ·
What a ninny I am , that is a type O, isnt it???

You just meant reflex. I actually goggled erflex??

I need to get off the computer for a while!

#9 ·
I just PM'd you Steph, do not know if you are still on here.

Shadow bit into Bruno. They were fighting. At night Bruno is done, Shadow always wants to play. He does it to my other two dogs too. He bites a little to hard. Bruno got mad, he laid into Shadow. Then they went at it.

Shadow has NEVER done anything like this. He only started growling when Bruno got here.

I will keep a close eye on the wound, I may have to take him to the vet in the morning. I was worried in went into his lung, it is right between his rib bones. Looks like just skin in torn, a small hole, it is still kinda ozzing blood.

#11 ·
Re: guarding Non-GSD/dog fight

Took Bruno to the vet today.

He has air pockets around the wound. The vet thinks the chest wall resealed.

He is on Baytril and Ace to keep him calm. He said I could give him Rimadyl, but I am not sure if I need too. He seems to be fine.

I am going to keep a close eye on him.

#12 ·

You can give him Arnica for the pain. Do you have that calendula/hypericum cream I'm always pushing? That will help the wounds heal. But you need to be very, very careful that the wound does not get septic. Use a hot compress on it to leach out the pus/blood several times a day.

As for your original aggression question: You need to keep the JRT and Shadow separate from now on. You've got to get a handle on both of their issues separately. The next time the JRT could be killed or you could be seriously injured so you need to ensure that the next time does not happen.

I would be doing serious training with the JRT once he heals. There are some great books on aggression (and general training) over at dogwise.com

#14 ·

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowYou can give him Arnica for the pain. Do you have that calendula/hypericum cream I'm always pushing? That will help the wounds heal. But you need to be very, very careful that the wound does not get septic. Use a hot compress on it to leach out the pus/blood several times a day.

As for your original aggression question: You need to keep the JRT and Shadow separate from now on. You've got to get a handle on both of their issues separately. The next time the JRT could be killed or you could be seriously injured so you need to ensure that the next time does not happen.

I would be doing serious training with the JRT once he heals. There are some great books on aggression (and general training) over at dogwise.com
I do not know what Arnica is. I will have to look it up.

Do not have the cream either. Vet said neosporin.

I will do the hot compress, but he is very aggressive about me messing with the wound.

Separate from now on?? Really? Shadow is freaked today because he cannot play with his friend.

I think it is just a night time thing with Bruno, he was done for the day.

You are right though. I am REALLY lucky Shadow did not kill him.

I am still holding my breath that this wound heals.

#15 ·

Lucky you, you have a cujo in a small package. I would treat him as you would an aggressive GSD -- no allowances for size.

When you say that Shadow always wants "to play", I might reevaluate that behavior. Is it play, or is it bossiness?

Bruno didn't growl until Shadow came along. Bruno is signaling that something isn't right in his dog world, and you need to pick up on those signals. My guess is that Shadow does not respect the growls? You need to back those up.

#16 ·

Originally Posted By: RebelGSDYou have to start doing NILIF with all your dogs and develop a leadership pattern. It will require work and effort to manage the situation. It can happen again if you are not very careful.
Managing a dog-pack is a job.
You are correct. Advice I will follow. They do respect me, so I thought, not enough I guess. My DH more, who was not home.

I am learning about this pack thing, most dogs I have ever owned at once.

THEY need more exercise too. I fell and hurt my back and it is like 13 degrees here, so I have not been walking and exerciseing them like I should. MY BAD, that is why Shadow was so wound up!!

#17 ·

Originally Posted By: Daisy1986I do not know what Arnica is. I will have to look it up.

Separate from now on?? Really? Shadow is freaked today because he cannot play with his friend.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=903725&page=1#Post903725

Arnica is a homeopathic remedy, available at better health food stores, it comes in little pellets. When I was bit by a Great Dane at training, I used both Arnica and Ledum.

Do you have a crate for Shadow?

#18 ·

Yes, Ledum too.

You need to muzzle the JRT so that you can properly care for the wound. And he needs a crate or a gated off room where he can be by himself.

Take Shadow outside and use a tennis racket or a chuck it and throw the ball for him. You can also do games with him in the house and I really recommend doing lots of short training sessions, gradually making them harder. This will tire him out! If he gets along with the other 2 dogs you can do it as a contest. The winner gets the treat!

#20 ·

Yes, absolutely. I was just thinking that since Bruno is hurt he will have to be kept calm until his wound heals.

There are lots of ways to tire a dog out. Here are some tips: http://www.wpr.org/pets/listen.cfm

Listen to the 12/13 show as she gives a bunch of tips for keeping your dogs busy and happy.

#21 ·

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI think Bruno is the aggressive one? Bruno is the JRT. Shadow is the gsd. And I think Bruno is getting more comfortable in his home and deciding when and where he can call the shots. Shadow does not respect him. There is no true alpha so you have chaos. YOU need to step into that roll immediately. It needs to be doggie boot camp around there. NILIF every second of the day. That does not mean being mean but it does mean being a strong, clear and fair leader and indicating to them exactly what you expect of them.
I'm reading it differently -- Bruno was the GSD that bit, but I think Shadow is the aggressor? Tough to tell. Daisy, have I got this wrong?

#23 ·

Originally Posted By: LisaTLucky you, you have a cujo in a small package. I would treat him as you would an aggressive GSD -- no allowances for size.

When you say that Bruno always wants "to play", I might reevaluate that behavior. Is it play, or is it bossiness?

Shadow didn't growl until Burno came along. Shadow is signaling that something isn't right in his dog world, and you need to pick up on those signals. My guess is that Bruno does not respect the growls? You need to back those up.
REposted with the correct names!

#24 ·

It was that CANDY BAR you ate for breakfast, Lisa. It has made you hyper and unable to concentrate or even read correctly.

For now, you really need to keep Bruno isolated from the rest of the pack while you repair the damage and get the pack back under your control.

Patricia McConnell has a neat little booklet called "Feeling Outnumbered" that is for people with multi-dog households. You can get it used here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1891767062/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

#25 ·

Sorry this is so confusing. I maybe should not have double posted. I was just not getting much response in the aggression section before.

SHADOW the GSD always wants to play. With all the dogs. He is only 15 months. We have had him since March. He had NO training when I got him from the rescue. Could barely walk around the house without freaking out. He has come a long way.

Bruno (around 2 yrs old) will play with Shadow during the day, all day, but at night he is ready to chill. Shadow popped him with his paw and want to play. Bruno growled. Shadow kept it up. I think Bruno bit him, so Shadow lost it. There had been exchanges like this before.
It just never went to that level.
From what you guys are saying. Bruno is trying to run Shadow, and Shadow does not respect him. I need to handle the situations.

Yes I have crates. I will keep them separate, and Bruno calm.

They are SO cute. It is hard to believe this happened.

But now hind site it 20/20 I think Bruno was trying to push Shadow out of that bed!!

#26 ·

BWM, you are absolutely right, because I got the whole thing mixed up. That darn Milky Way Bar
I thought it was the classic annoying bossy terrier, and it is different after reading this last clarification. I'm not sure if it is the bossy Bruno thing now. In fact, it just looks like an unstructured pack where they don't yet know all the rules.

Okay Kelly, the bad part is that you let it escalate by not acting when you saw the previous exchanges. The good part is that is that this is manageable, since part of this is true human pack leader error.

Tonight you will probably get more feedback from more folks that work with this a lot more than I do. The main focus is to keep Bruno calm and isolated while he mends, and then you will have to control the access that these dogs have to each other until they learn the rules. This will force you to "learn dog" a little more.

P.S. they are *very* cute

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.