German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post
View Single Post
post #40 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM
pupresq
Crowned Member

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post

Hi Tess,

I work with a group that represents several rural shelters and sends dogs to quite a few different rescue groups and with many different transporters. We ask these questions of everyone. We expect others to ask these questions of us. It takes a relatively short amount of time to supply the information and a similarly small amount of time for us to process it. If this process can keep even one dog out a bad situation, I think it's worth doing.

I've been in rescue a long time and I've discovered that bad rescue situations - as well as bad adopters, are not the one-in-a-million chance, nor the single bad apple that spoils the barrel, they're common. They are so common that no one truly concerned with animal welfare should ever send dogs out on a hope and a prayer that things will be fine. Giving people the benefit of the doubt in your personal life is one thing, but when a helpless animal is depending on you to make sure things are okay, then checking up and making sure is something you simply have to do.

I would hope that other people do the same things in other aspects of their lives when the stakes are also high. For example, I would never in a million years hire a babysitter for my child off the Internet, with no questions asked. I would never employ someone to work for me without doing reference checks. Doing rescue is the same kind of thing. You hope for the best, but you also try to make responsible decisions for the animals depending on you.

I have undergone the same kind of questioning on this board and I welcome it! Any time I offer to help hold or transport an animal for a new group, I would hope that people want to call my vet, want to insure that I am who I say I am. I have nothing to hide and lives are on the line here. If someone tells a lie on the chat section, well, they lied, but no big deal. If someone tells a lie on the urgent board, it could literally kill a dog. I think that's what is meant for the need for transparency in rescue operations.

Hope that helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome