German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Training collar question
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
JKlatsky

Re: Training collar question

I'm not sure I would start a prong on a 6 month old puppy. I've seen it done, but I don't think that's the way I would go.

I think we started letting Argos wear one at about 7 months (Of course keep in mind at that point he was 70 pounds) and that was just to get used to the feel of it. The leash was never attached to it for about a month, and then when it was we started out attaching the leash to both rings on the collar so it would tighten. And he wasn't the least bit sensitive to correction, so it didn't damage his confidence or willingness at all.

We always used a flat nylon collar, and you can still pop that for a correction if you need to. A Martingale is nice if you have a puppy that likes to back out of their collar, the way the martingale tightens up prevents that. I know a lot of people with Malinois who use them.

As far as leash issues, I would let Dakota drag a leash to desensitize him to it. In the house or the yard. They make leashes without the handle so that it doesn't catch on anything (Or you can just cut it off)If he wears a leash for a couple hours everyday, without necessarily being "controlled" it should become a more neutral object, like a collar.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome