German Shepherds Forum banner

Another potty training question!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mandalay 
#1 ·
Hi there! Hope you can help. Is it normal for a puppy to have to pee every hour? My new pup, admittedly from yesterday, pees like a fountain. Every time I take her out she goes potty, and then about 45 minutes later will be caught "in the act" inside! I catch her and take her straigh out But she does not finish off even if we stay out to play for a while. Also, she does not tell me she needs to go when in her crate. Last night she was fab - no pee but a nice smelly poop by the crate door!

My other dog, Q, was soo good and easy to housetrain I am at a loss as to what to do...

Thanks!

#3 ·
Depending on how old your puppy is, she may just need more time. I find that if i take Mandi out to play, she will not potty until we come in...so now she must potty first then play then potty again. Potty should be kept as a separate mission from play. As for letting you know when she needs to go when she is in the crate, this may come with time. When she starts to get so big that she has to sit in it after she goes potty in the crate, she will care more about doing it in there and try not to potty in the crate. If she can potty in one corner and then spend the rest of the time in the other corner of the crate, she will do this until she grows more. Also, try monitoring how much and when your puppy drinks. Let her drink and then about 30 minutes later start taking her out every 5 mins or so until she pottys. As she gets older, let her have more water at a time and stretch the time until you take her outside gradually. Mandi right now is 14 weeks and will go about 2-4 hours after she drinks last before she has to go out.

Good luck!

#4 ·
She got the pup from me, she is 9 weeks old now.

how big is your crate if she has enough room to have an accident then sleep on the other end it is too much room, she just needs enough room to stand up, turn around and lay down for now.

it could also be nerves being in a new place as well, i am sure as she gets older and knows how you want things she will learn and get better and I agree with mandalay watch how much you let her have to drink and how often

#5 ·
Thanks guys! Em is only 9 weeks old so I am being a bit too demanding I think... the crate divider still has a space too big so that may be the issue. Also, yesterday she was out of synch as she only had one meal in the evening as she was in a car most of the day so when she needed to poop it was probably midnight! She has pooped perfectly today after her meals... I will be more vigilant and take her out more often, but I may try to get a sample from the next accident, if there is one, and take it to our vet appointment tomorrow.

#6 ·
My pup still pees everytime he goes out...and sometimes will ring the bell to go out within 20 minutes of the last time...but that is usually in the morning when he first gets up...and he is a pooping machine right now...I don't know how a dog that size can have that much poop.

#7 ·
My pup is 10 weeks old and will basically pee after everytime she drinks. I give her water once an hour and then take her outside until she pees. No water after 9:00 as she goes into her crate at 10:00 and doesn't come out until 5:30 am. She has a small crate now and has never had an accident in there but it is only enough for her to lay down and turn around. Not any bigger. For the first week she had water at all times but was peeing about every 15 minutes so we started to put the water down for 15 minutes every hour and then take it up for the next 45 minutes. I am home all day with her and in the evening she is with us if we go anywhere so it works for us.
Remember she is little and it may take a while for her to be completely house trained. Good Luck

#8 ·
No water two hours before she goes to bed for the night.
Yes, as a pup they need to go often. We would take Bogart out every time he drank, and came out of his crate. He is 16 weeks and never had an accident in his crate.

Just have to be patient and take them out as often as they need.

Good luck.

Bogarts Dad

#9 ·
OMG! Mandi poops like crazy, too!!
My husband comments on the total "inches" that she creates everyday. It is not like she is overeating or even eats enough, in my eyes, but she goes 3-4 times a day and (TMI, sorry) there is 6-9 inches of it at a time. It is insane!!

#10 ·
Mandi's crate is big enough that she can get out of it. There is a smaller crate that i have for the cats, but it is bigger so that both cats can get in it at once. I am going to measure Mandi against it when I get home from work today and maybe I will use that instead. We have another one that I know for sure she would fit in and would not be too big, but it is vinyl and I am afraid she would scratch her way out while I am gone during the day since I know my cats sit outside the crate and point and laugh at her all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.