German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Sudden Onset of Symptoms 10 1/2 FGSD - Cancer
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
arycrest
Crowned Member

Re: Sudden Onset of Symptoms 10 1/2 FGSD - Cancer

Tory's a beautiful pup, so sorry to hear she has such a poor prognosis.

By any chance was she diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma? I lost two of the Hooligans to this type of cancer. Both were sudden, I didn't know either was ill until it was too late.

My soul mate, Echo, died from a hemangiosarcoma tumor of his heart. He was fine until he started acting funky the night before, so I decided to drop him off at the vet's office on the way to work the next morning. I was getting ready for work and heard a thump - Echo had collapsed in the kitchen. I got him up and into the van and rushed him up to the vets, kissed him good-by, and went to work, never realizing I'd never see him again. He died within two hours, in fact, the vet was on the phone with me telling me the prognosis was hopeless when Echo took his last breath.

My mutt, Bo, was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. He acted fine until one Sunday morning he stopped eating his breakfast mid-bite. Whenever a Hooligan refuses to eat they're sick! I was going to take him to the vet on Monday, but he collapsed later that afternoon and I rushed him to the ER where the diagnosis was made. Surgery with him was an option and if it were successful, it would have given him an estimated 6 more months of a quality life. The ER vet and I agreed that if the cancer had spread to put him down on the table. When she opened him up he was riddled with cancer of all his major organs, so per our agreement, she put my dear boy down. Bo never woke up, and like with Echo, I never got to say good-bye.

I'm not sure what advice to give your friend. Except for the medical protocal she's on, I can't think of anything that could help her, but maybe someone else has some tips. If Tory were my dog I'd keep her comfortable and when she no longer had a quality life I'd give her the final gift I can give any of my beloved companions and have her put down.

My prayers and well wishes go to Tory and her owner.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome