German Shepherds Forum banner

refresher class for training.

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cdonahue89 
#1 ·
as most of you know, 3 weeks ago beamer had her first obedience class that went well. we had to miss 2 weeks, & then yesterday had our 2nd class, but the trainer said it would be a refresher & not count towards the 6 classes.

i went without dh, he had to drive to manchester for work unexpectantly. but the trainer went over heel with me, had me show him as i walked with beamer, & of course she pulled. she doesnt for dh but does for me. using the choke collar, he said i needed to pop it better, not so gently, but since dh is a lot stronger he gave me a prong collar to use (dh doesnt use it, he uses the choke collar).

WHAT A CHANGE! i felt bad at first, & beamer was a meanie, she tried to stand still like "SCREW YOU." but eventually walked with me amazingglyyy. i took her to the beach after, & she did just as good as she was in class, & then came home & passed out.

=)

#3 ·
I love the prong collar and how it has made training so much easier.

I felt guilty at first giving her corrections with it but it works!

Only thing is...I have noticed when she has the prong on she listens immediately but with a flat collar on, she doesn't listen as quickly sometimes. I hate for her to get that mentality....

#4 ·
when your walking her you could try using 2 leashes, one attached to the flat collar and one to the prong. Correct her first with the flat, and immediatly use the prong for correction if she doesnt react to the flat collar correction. This way the flat collar correction becomes a *warning* before the prong, so she very well might react to the flat collar in hopes she can forgo getting tugged with the prong collar.

#5 ·
A k9 handler was talking with me about collars and he said about prongs: "they are the power steering" ~ Great analogy!
you may only have to use it for a short time, after a while, she will know you are the one in charge, then you can switch back to a flat one.

#6 ·
I just started taking Malachi to puppy classes last week. He is a 4mo rescue so he was more timid than most GSD at that age. He did very well with a choker, so I hope he continues in this manner. He loves all people and other dogs, so my biggest problem is distraction with him. He listens to his commands, but does not do well with eye contact. Should he be looking directly at me at this age?

#7 ·
That would be a good goal. Kacie(rescue) didn't do eye contact with me either in the beginning , she was too busy making sure she was ok on her own. She also wouldn't do a down on command as she felt vulnerable. Now she trusts me and looks to me, which is what she is supposed to do.
Put a treat up to your eye and ask him to look at you, when he makes eye contact, give him a treat immediately and praise him. Repeat this and he should follow your hand when you say look.

#8 ·
beamer does good on the choke collar when my husband has her because he pops it strong enough, i'm a whole lot less strong & so she knows i can't pop it, but with this i finally am like yeah thats right im in control. =P

but even after just two days of using it, she definitely is different towards me as far as her respecting (idk if thats the right word) me.

#9 ·
One problem people don't get reaction with choke collar is because they aren't using it correctly.

Not saying that's your case but I see lot's of people who showed me how to use a prong collar the wrong way and it's the same way they used a choke collar. Way too low on the neck.

#10 ·
Malachi's Mutti, NO your 4 month old will NOT be looking up at you all the time. This is an advanced skill we learn with our pups as we continue with training (called 'attention).

I much prefer the prong over the choke. This is an article explaining how many of us with the regular choke can injure our dogs unintentionally (because they CAN still pull with these collars)
http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html

And though I prefer the prong collars with the smaller links (easier to fit, easier to put on and off, and more control) the location of the collar on the dog is the same. And they are NOT supposed to be large enough to slip over the dog's head, we must undo the links.

http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.