German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Input please - MWD display
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
AbbyK9
Crowned Member

Re: Input please - MWD display

Great idea about the breeds.

I found a blurb of text on the Quartermaster museum that said the US military originally accepted over 30 different breeds of dog, but later narrowed it down to German Shepherds, Belgian Sheep Dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Collies, and Giant Schnauzers. They also used Huskies and Malamutes for sled dogs and pack dogs.

I'll include that. I have some nice pictures of Dobes and Huskies being used, and one of the photos I have shows two Collies, a Shepherd, and what looks to be a mixed Lab / Spaniel something or other.

Most of my pictures are GSDs, tho, since they were used the most out of all the breeds.

I have a press picture of Chips with Eisenhower, too.

And I'll be adding a little blurb about mascot dogs, even though they're not really military working dogs. I found a good picture of Smoky that I'll use for that, wearing her little "uniform".

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome