German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic vet
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
LisaT
Crowned Member

Re: Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 041005.....I have an appointment at Smith Ridge, South Salem, NY (Dr. Goldstein's office), so I am hoping that if anyone can help it would be him...
I would love to have a consult with him -- what a learning experience that would be!!

In general, I have had mixed results with holistic vets. It's when I put my dogs' care completely in their hands that I get in trouble. Unless I'm an active participant, in terms of doing the research and participating in the treatment decisions, they don't do well. That just might be me though.

As for IBD and holistic *methods*, I think it really is the only way to treat this condition in the long run. With both of my dogs, I had to switch to homecooked diets and a good amount of supplementation to help heal.

I think that the term healing crisis is overused and misunderstood. Whenever a dog is being treated holistically and there is a downturn, it is almost always called a healing crisis. I don't think that's accurate.

I think it was actually from Goldstein's book that I finally learned about the healing crisis. The body gets stronger and stronger and finally has enough strength to tackle a disease process, so after a time of increasing well-being, the dog starts showing symptoms of the chronic illness. Most folks use it to refer to any downturn once a holistic method has been started. And also from Goldstein I learned that the body has to be ready to deal with this and you must go slowly -- there's a great example of this in his chapter on cancer -- I think he was talking about a poodle with a tumor. Have you read his book?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome