Dog Safety in the Car.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Default Dog Safety in the Car..

Just wanted people to start off thinking how they will ride with their dogs in the car. Remember, dogs are like kids and if you wouldn't have your children loose in your car for safety reasons, you need to have a plan for your DOGS for the same reason.

http://www.squidoo.com/dogcarsafety

http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/safe-car-travel-for-dogs.aspx

Crates or dogbelts seem to be the best solutions. I choose dog seatbelts. Why restrain your dog?

Quote:
Prevent driver distraction. This is the most important reason because it affects not just your vehicle's occupants, but potentially many others. Pets and loose objects are the 3rd worst in-car distraction according to a recent AAA study! They were considered worse then cell phone usage (#6), eating & drinking (#5) and adjusting climate controls (#4) (#1 is radio or CD player, #2 is children or others in car - Source: Extra Magazine telecast 8-20-01). During 2000 in the US more then 1.5 million accidents were caused by distracted driving! (Source: NBC Dateline telecast 6-19-01).

Protect your dog. Your dog deserves the same protection as you and your family... In a 30 mph. collision occupants of the vehicle can exert a force 20 times that of their body weight!
This is a great site with Dog Seatbelt Feature Comparisions (click this -->Dog Seatbelts )

Here is the setup in my SUV that can fit THREE big dogs if I put in the wooden shelf (these are the Champion belts I use Seatbelt Information:

Be nice if people can show their CRATING/dog seatbelt options and setups for their vehicles. Just send me a PM with your full response and I'll copy/paste it in like I did with webdome's (see post below).

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 04-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another recommendation:

webdome

Location: Vancouver not B.C. Washington not D.C Clark County not Nevada Near Portland, OR not Maine

Dog Safety in the Car.
I was trying to post reply, I also use dog seatbelt system in my car. I use Kurgo Auto Zip-Line — with Tru-Fit Smart Harness. Kurgo makes many useful dog travel goods. http://www.kurgostore.com/categories/Dog-Travel/
I hope it comes handy.

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just wanted to repost the recently (6/12) version of Dog Seatbelts
  • Introduction: Please don't skip this section. It details important introductory material: why to use a car restraint, types of restraints, and the resources I used in my research.
  • Design Considerations: List of the design options and features to consider when choosing a restraint system.
  • Product Descriptions: Details on each of the restraints I found. Sorted into four categories: Editor's Choice, Also Reviewed, Tethers, Not For My Dog
  • Usage Tips: Simple things that I've learned through experience.
  • Additional Resources: Links to articles and other information on canine car restraint.
Here's a new one getting great reviews

Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

LInk with more great info..

The Science of Pet Safety, Center for Pet Safety, Pet Safety Testing, Pet Product Testing, Crash Testing, Scientific Testing, Criteria, Pet Safety Advocate

Lot's of great videos...

Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to read the updated info of belts for our dogs in the car...

Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default 2013 info...

2013 Updates from Magwart:

I've been flummoxed by the relative lack of data on dog safety restraints, so I set about to summarize what I've found on my own.

As many here know, the 2012 crash results by the Center for Pet Safety (which never revealed the four brands they tested) had four out of four brands fail in their 35 mph test (one of them would have possibly resulted in a decapitation): The Science of Pet Safety, Center for Pet Safety, Pet Safety Testing, Pet Product Testing, Crash Testing, Scientific Testing, Criteria, Pet Safety Advocate

This seems to have spurred some change in the industry. The old threads here reference a few brands that have been crash tasted, but that was as of 2010, mostly. A few more brands seem to have crash-tested now. And yet the crash tests aren't alike -- some are done with a 35# dog dummy (quite possibly not a reliable indicator the system will hold up with a 75# or 100# dog). There's also a new tensile strength standard protocol one manufacturer is pushing for the whole industry.

Since many of the websites I've found dedicated to this are 2010-era (or earlier) info, here's what I've found recently. Hopefully some of you who use these brands and might have seen them perform in a fender-bender can chime in. And hopefully someone here with an engineering background can offer thoughts on the testing protocols. This whole product category is very, very confusing -- and it's hard to trust mfr claims.

Please share your experiences using any of these, and add any other brands you know of that are crash-tested and/or independently tested for tensile strength AND release the results of those tests on the mfr websites.

Bergan: shop products Bergan Pet Products | Pet Carriers & Crates, Cat Toys, Leashes, Pet Travel Accessories, Feeders, Food Storage Bergan Pet Products | Pet Carriers & Crates, Cat Toys, Leashes, Pet Travel Accessories, Feeders, Food Storage
Crash tested: no?
Tensile strength tested/results published: yes/yes
Test Results: V9DT

This company is pushing for an industry-wide minimum standard they call V9DT. They seem to be well-marketed to vets and bloggers (lots of positive reviews), like this: Safety Product Review: Bergan Travel Harness | The Preventive Vet. They also got the ASPCA to partner with them for the Paws to Click initiative: Paws To Click. Still...no crash test, at least that I could find. Anyone know differently?

Kurgo:
Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness with Steel Nesting Buckles - Kurgo Products
Crash-Tested: yes (35# @ 30 mph, video available)
Tensile strength tested/results published: yes/yes
Test Results: https://www.kurgostore.com/content/Documents/KG1201_Results.pdf

https://www.kurgostore.com/content/Documents/KG1201_Results.pdf

I think it's terrific for this company to release both the video of the crash test and tensile-strength lab report...but the crash test seems like it was done with too small a dog to assure me the product will provide similar protection to my 75# dog.

Champion: Champion Canine Seat Belt System
Crash-Tested: yes? (I've seen statements to that effect online but found no link to the video -- I emailed to request and will update if they reply. If anyone has a link to the video already, please post!)
Tensile-strength tested/results published: yes/not that I could find

I've seen lots of good reviews of this, including from many people here. I really wish I could see their crash test video for myself and not have to take the mfr's word for it. Does anyone have links to the test results/video?

Ruff Rider Roadie: About Ruff Rider and Our Dog Safety Harnesses for Moving Vehicles
Crash -Tested: yes (according to an email they sent me, they test at 25#, 45# and 75# -- the video isn't available currently, but they are working on putting it up on their website)
Tensile-strength tested/results published: yes/not that I could find

I did find this on YouTube, and it looks like it's from RuffRider:

This appears to be one of only two companies that is testing with a big dog dummy. I've seen reviews that this one is hard to use and dogs get tangled in it. I've also seen reviews that some people love it. The company's email also suggested fit must be very precise because the harness does not adjust much. They were very responsive by email about their testing, and the rep asked a tech to get more information for me.

Canine Friendly Safety Harness(RC Products): -
Crash-Tested: Yes (85# @ 30 mph)
Tensile-strength tested/results published: Yes/not that I could find (their website shows results but offers no lab report--anyone able to update?)

Canine Friendly Crash-Tested In-Vehicle Safety Harness - YouTube

This is the other company that crash tests with a big dog dummy. This one is crash-tested with an 85# dummy-dog. It's also more than twice the price of the others, retailing for around $70 or so on Amazon.

Orvis: Dog Car Safety Harness / Dog Safety Harness -- Orvis
This looks identical to the RC Products harness, so I'm guessing it's probably mfr'd for Orvis by that company.

PetBuckle: Helping Get You Home Safely - IMMI
Crash-Tested: Yes (video available but no details of speed/weight provided)
Tensile-strength tested/results published: unknown/not that I could find

Snoozer: Pet Safety Harness and Adapter - Pet Travel ProductsCrash-
Crash-Tested: Yes (30# dog dummy @ 30 mph, but I could find no video of the test available online)
Tensile-strength tested/results published: unknown/not that I could find

Please add other companies you know about, with similar links to safety reliability information. If you have more info than I was able to find on my own about any of these companies, please supplement it.

Let's try to gather verifiable safety information on these products. If you use one and like it, but don't have verifiable safety info available online, please email the manufacturer (as you are their customer) and ask them to provide it -- and then update this thread with what you find out!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Allsafe Harness for Dogs, Allsafe Dog Harness, Allsafe Dog Seatbelt Harness | PRLog

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

And updated crated information!

Crate Thanks - Whole Dog Journal Article

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.