German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Weekly Discussion Topics (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/weekly-discussion-topics/)
-   -   How about those Breeder, Breeding threads. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/weekly-discussion-topics/483305-how-about-those-breeder-breeding-threads.html)

Jack's Dad 08-26-2014 07:22 PM

How about those Breeder, Breeding threads.

To me they are often counter productive.

Accepted breeders and practices go something like this:

Hobby Breeder.
Titles potential breeding stock themselves.
Breeding stock and lineage should be titled.
All should be health tested. Hips and elbows and other health test such as for DM.
Working line preferred.
A few litters a yea.r
This is a short general version of the more acceptable forum dog and breeder.

The problem is there are not that many breeders like this and not everyone is interested in these things anyway.

Among the general population most don't know or care what IPO is.

When they come on here the quickly learn that their dogs suck because they don't fit the criteria and worse they may have even purchased from a BYB.

Often then they disappear to not be heard from again.

There must be a better way than insisting there is only one kind of breeder and one kind of dog that is acceptable.

On another note. There is no breeder bashing allowed. So the solution to that is for someone to announce that they have PM'd someone. Which is board speak for "your breeder stinks".

Has to be a better way. This way it is not very welcoming or understanding of about 90 percent of the GSD owning population. IMO.

Blitzkrieg1 08-26-2014 07:37 PM

Yes we could tell them their pets is wonderful and everything the breed should be. Ofcourse he is awesome, happy breeding!

Its a free country, if they want to breed their pet they can. However, that does not mean that they should recieve affirmation that their weak nerved dog has great breeding potential or comes from a great breeder.

IPO is the main reason there are still working calibre GSDs available, it really doesnt matter if most people dont care. Most people are not breeding GSDs even if they own one.

Jack's Dad 08-26-2014 07:57 PM

Thanks Blitz for the perfect example.

The GSD did not come from nor was it created to do IPO.

First the breed and then IPO.

IPO will tell you something about the dog in front of you not guarantee what it will produce.

IPO represents (from various different sources) less than 10% and more like 1% of the GSDs in Canada and the U.S..

You have something against Dogs for the blind. I don't think they do IPO first.

robk 08-26-2014 08:10 PM

Jacks Dad, are you involved in IPO? I think I read on one of these threads that you own a nicely bred dog, who was bred by an active working kennel. I could be wrong. Just going off my fuzzy memory. I have read too many threads.

llombardo 08-26-2014 08:16 PM

I have gotten that feeling on here more then once. Threads that have nothing to do with bite work all of the sudden have someone making a comment about it. I tend to ignore threads that even remotely look like it will favor one type of dog. I have no interest in IPO and yet I took Robyn for an evaluation. Why? I felt that I had to prove something and I'm still not even sure to who. She passed, whoop d do. After she passed I told them no thanks and moved on to agility. I have a Craigslist GSD and a shelter GSD and they are perfect. My focus is enjoying my dogs and to do what's right by them with diet, exercise, and veterinarian care. I'm not going to let science decide that because my dogs come from a breeder that they might or might not get ill. I also have nothing against breeders that put everything they have into producing the GSD, whether it's a show dog, therapy dog, agility dog, or police dog, etc. No one can predict what will happen no matter where they come from. It's the same with kids, we can only hope they will be healthy and we certainly aren't going to give them up if they get sick, we just don't know. They all need a home and they all deserve one. At the end of the day I know I have very stable good temperament dogs and I don't care if they would protect and I don't need them to bite a sleeve to prove it one way or the other. I go to sleep at night feeling blessed to have them in my life and I feel safe. I can only hope they know how much I love them and what I would do to keep them safe. I don't have anything against people who do the sport, but I don't think those dogs are any better then the rest and that is the feeling I get from some(not all). I just don't let it bother me anymore and I enjoy what I have and they can enjoy what they have, so everyone is happy.

robk 08-26-2014 08:20 PM

I don't personally think that all dogs really need to be IPO titled to be deemed breed worthy. However, the GSD is a working breed, so it should have some working experience to speak of. It could be IPO, Herding, police, SAR, what ever. Just as long as the dog is really tested. That is the important thing to me. The dog just needs to be trainable and be able to work under pressure.

Jack's Dad 08-26-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robk (Post 5948721)
Jacks Dad, are you involved in IPO? I think I read on one of these threads that you own a nicely bred dog, who was bred by an active working kennel. I could be wrong. Just going off my fuzzy memory. I have read too many threads.

Not involved in IPO. Yes I have two working line dogs from kennels who are actively involved. I prefer working lines. Personal preference but I believe the forum should include everyone.

Many who didn't get their dog from an "approved breeder" or it is not the "right " kind of dog are drowned out. Many have left.

If this was a working dog forum I would understand it.

onyx'girl 08-26-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack's Dad (Post 5948777)
Not involved in IPO. Yes I have two working line dogs from kennels who are actively involved. I prefer working lines. Personal preference but I believe the forum should include everyone.

Many who didn't get their dog from an "approved breeder" or it is not the "right " kind of dog are drowned out. Many have left.

If this was a working dog forum I would understand it.

Many of the experienced GSD folks or breeders no longer post here. Or if they do it isn't often. The GSD use to be a working breed, those that actively work or train aren't the ones that are drowning out others are they?

llombardo 08-26-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robk (Post 5948761)
I don't personally think that all dogs really need to be IPO titled to be deemed breed worthy. However, the GSD is a working breed, so it should have some working experience to speak of. It could be IPO, Herding, police, SAR, what ever. Just as long as the dog is really tested. That is the important thing to me. The dog just needs to be trainable and be able to work under pressure.

Right and working in some households is the dog watching over the house. There are lots of pet homes that aren't involved in anything and those dogs aren't bad off because it works for the family. Yes it would be great if all GSD's could be involved in something but they aren't and that doesn't make them any less of a GSD. Geez if everyone set out to make their GSD's breed worthy we would have many more in shelters and dying daily. There has to be a balance somewhere. This is a wonderful breed and I could never tell someone they don't have a quality dog because it doesn't do this or that. That dog means the world to them no matter what the dog does.

llombardo 08-26-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5948833)
Many of the experienced GSD folks or breeders no longer post here. Or if they do it isn't often. The GSD use to be a working breed, those that actively work or train aren't the ones that are drowning out others are they?

I see a lot less of the breeders that breed show lines. Yes the GSD is a working BREED but does it have to be IPO? Some people think that is the only thing out there that proves a GSD is a GSD. The division on this forum is amongst the lines, but in the end they are all the same breed.