How about those Breeder, Breeding threads. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post

As to those concerned about this being a working dog forum.. Have no fear about 99% of the threads currently active should put your hearts at rest that this is very much mainly a pet forum.
The majority of people on here and that own these dogs are not realistic about what they have or what makes a breeding dog.

That does not mean their mis information or fantasies should be affirmed.
Yeah, that is a good point...sport/working owners are actually in the minority on this forum... funny, that.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

echo, i agree, they need to be told not to breed their dogs but there are a million ways of doing it and saying 'spay your pet' (first of all, why spay? why is it breed or spay? it's not either or) is just so condescending
like they're using the word 'pet' to underline the unworthiness of the dog.

just sharing my feeling about it. if this was me posting (and I wanted to breed my dog before I knew about breeding the right way) I'd curse everyone out and leave. and breed out of spite.

almost everyone wanted to breed at some point. no one deserves to be ridiculed like this. and their dog put down like this. there are ways to say things.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How about those working line people with standards. They are so mean.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavet2012 View Post
I actually disagree that there are lots of people on here going through this unless it's by PM. I read here a little usually every day because I'm obsessed with reading, and I don't see this happening. What I see is people getting all defensive because someone asks what makes their dog breeding worthy, which is ridiculous. That is a valid question and one the owner should be asking themselves, and good breeders I would think would want outside unbiased opinions of their dogs. That means their faults and weaknesses too. The vast majority of dogs should not be bred, period. I don't know what specifics you are talking about re: your own dog, but I would bet it was blown out of proportion because I feel like you get defensive about this stuff. Just my opinion from reading on here a lot.
I only get defensive about it if I think about it or something along the same lines is brought up. The sad part is it involved not only my GSD but also my golden. If it happened now I wouldn't care. My thing is IPO is not the only thing a GSD can do and do well. It is offensive(that is a strong word but along those lines) to the breed to think that is the only sport they can do to be considered a GSD. There is so much more out there for them and they love doing it all. Yeah maybe some aren't as good at it as others or don't have the drive but those dogs can do well in other venues. GSD's are about versatility and the more they can do the better. I'm all for that. Now I got some toad hunting to do before the dogs decide to
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

I didn't read all the responses to the original assertion.... but I do know this....if it weren't for breeders I would not have had the 3 GSDs I have been graced with over my life. Yes, some punched out way too early...6 and 8 years old....but what great years they were, regardless of the heartache. Suppose I could blame the breeders but I more blame myself for my lack of due diligence.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Yeah, that is a good point...sport/working owners are actually in the minority on this forum... funny, that.
but they order the music, so to say. it's interesting this is even being denied. it's really obvious once you read the forums.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
echo, i agree, they need to be told not to breed their dogs but there are a million ways of doing it and saying 'spay your pet' (first of all, why spay? why is it breed or spay? it's not either or) is just so condescending
like they're using the word 'pet' to underline the unworthiness of the dog.

just sharing my feeling about it. if this was me posting (and I wanted to breed my dog before I knew about breeding the right way) I'd curse everyone out and leave. and breed out of spite.

almost everyone wanted to breed at some point. no one deserves to be ridiculed like this. and their dog put down like this. there are ways to say things.
I personally would never want to breed, I will leave that to the professionals. I do agree that some questions asked are from people that might not know what actually goes into breeding. I see some of the titles of threads and think hasn't this been asked and answered about 100 times
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LoveEcho,

love your post!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
In sheer numbers yes. In control no.

There is a small number of some breeders, moderators and old timers who determine who are reputable breeders or not. What the standards (Jax) should be and a there are anumber of people who been drinking the cool aid. Oh yeah, can't forget the sport crowd.

I'm not paranoid, I don't think it's a plot. It is just a group of people who think the same way and control some of these topics.

Debates are good as long as folks are semi civil and listen to each other.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
but they order the music, so to say. it's interesting this is even being denied. it's really obvious once you read the forums.
It's not, though, unless that's what you're looking to find. Like I said... I'm a pet home and I have never experienced any sort of negativity. I've posted some pretty stupid training questions, too.

What people mistake for "running the show" is actually that the people who work their dogs EVERY DAY, most of them ALL DAY, who actively train and compete either as a lifestyle or professionally (it's rarely a hobby)... they're the ones with the most knowledge. They know the most about training, they know the most about conformation and breeding... because it's ALL THEY DO.

The health forums, the most knowledgable people and dominant posters are pet owners, or breeders (because, again, it's all they do).

It's really not a political conspiracy.... it's just a sheer fact that in general, sport and working owners are going to have more of the nitty gritty knowledge of training issues, breed standards, etc. They're also more likely to be more passionate about the breed and preserving it.

If you look at most of the day-to-day, "help with this behavior" thread, it's pet owners who respond. When someone posts asking for help with a specific training issue, it's usually people who actively compete and train.

As a parallel, I'm a member of an Off-Track Thoroughbred (OTTB) forum. There are more casual "pet" owners there than serious competitors, but of course the people who train and compete professionally or very seriously are going to have the most influence- they have the most knowledge, overall. Sure, there are idiots who run their mouths about stuff they don't know anything about, on all sides... but really, it's the same thing here. Overall, the sport and working people have more knowledge (not counting the idiots who run their mouths).

Last edited by LoveEcho; 08-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.