German Shepherds Forum banner

To breed or not to breed, that is the question...

36K views 228 replies 71 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question that I wanted to ask to see people's take on it. I personally, strongly disagree with buying from a breeder. I feel like every time a dog is bought from a breeder, a shelter dog loses their chance. However; I am open minded and would like to know people's arguments for breeding or buying from breeders. So the real question is:
is there ever a time when it's okay to buy from a breeder? And if so what are the circumstances that. Led you to this?why did you feel like there was no other option?and for the people who disagree with buying from a breeder, what are your reasons? I know how I feel, but at the same time I will try to be non judgemental and to learn from everyone's comments and their reasons. Thank you all for participating.

#2 ·
I see no problem with buying a puppy from a reputable breeder or buying from a rescue group. I have done both. The problem arises with rescuing adult dogs for me is I have small children and not knowing a dogs background or parentage can be dangerous.

#3 ·
Buying from a breeder does not mean a shelter dog dies. That is such a ridiculous argument.
I will happily buy from a responsible breeder, those are the ones that don't have dogs ending up in shelter or rescue.
I've also worked for rescues and have a rescued GSD.
If people don't want to buy from a breeder, all good.
If people don't want to pay for a pup from a responsible breeder and go elsewhere for one that is cheap because a person putting two dogs together to make puppies for that market, not good. Those are the ones adding to the shelter population.

#4 ·
Of course there are times when it's ok to buy from a breeder. It's a personal decision. Personally, I wanted something very specific in terms of temperament and drive, and I wanted the cards stacked in my favor. All of my rescues have been good dogs that I loved, but had major issues. I wanted to minimize those chances and know what I was getting. I also wanted a dog to compete in IPO with- something that is extremely difficult to find in a shelter (you have a slightly better chance with a rescue), and I'm too novice at the sport to know what to look for in an adult dog that would make them suitable for the sport. I also wanted a dog that would be suitable to work livestock and balanced enough to still be a house pet.

Good, reputable breeders take the time to ensure their dogs go to suitable homes where they won't be dumped, and if life circumstances change they will always take their dogs back. Most of the breeders I know are also active in rescue, through evaluating, fostering, etc. To say that a shelter dog loses their chance when someone purchases from a breeder is ignorant at best. I didn't kill another dog by buying my dog. I wasn't ready for a rescue at the time, so if I didn't buy my dog I would have ended up with NO dog- it's not just "get a dog for the sake of getting a dog, and you have two options."

Rescues are also notoriously difficult. It is EXTREMELY difficult to adopt from GSD-specific rescues around here, especially if you have children or other animals. I've also had bad experiences with shady rescues (and yes, just like there are shady breeders, there are shady rescues). The time will come when I will take in a rescue, but there is only one person I trust at this point (and who I have enough of a relationship with where I'm not just a bulleted checklist on an application).

As for breeding, the really good, reputable breeders do what they do to better the breed we all love. If careful breeding didn't happen, all that would be left are the genetic messes produced by Joe Schmoe with the cute puppies who would still be breeding no matter what. That would mean the end of this breed. Take the time to get to know some GOOD breeders and appreciate the amount of love and time and knowledge that goes into what they do... the work behind studying pedigrees, training and titling their dogs, etc... breeding isn't just slapping a male and female together. My female is pretty much EXACTLY what she was predicted to be when experts looked at her pedigree. It's nice to know what I'm in for... and that I also have the help and support of her breeder should issues ever arise in the future.

Basically, it's not either-or. Many of us here have both breeder dogs and rescues, and many breeders participate in rescue. There's no, "for every puppy produced by a breeder, one dies in a shelter..."

#16 ·
Unfortunately, there are shady rescues out there. I've adopted from them. I have also owned byb.

You're exactly right. Too much of the breeding goes on at the bottom. If good breeders who breed to the standard, get their health clearances, title their dogs, etc, didn't exist, the GSD would be complletely ruined.

Dogs are not fungible. My buying a pup for IPO doesn't mean there is a shelter dog I didn't take. It means I'm not likely to find a puppy with the right drives, nerves & temperament for IPO at the shelter.

I've done plenty of rescue, btw.

#5 ·
Hi there :) Well I am glad you are at least curious. Mind you this forum is pro breeders so I do believe you will get some insight here.

I bought Titan from a breeder before I knew why it was a good thing. And now, I am looking at rescuing.

IMO there is no better choice between buying from a breeder vs rescue a GSD if you are wanting a companion. When it becomes important is when you want a certain temperament, a certain drive, a certain line, etc. With buying from a REPUTABLE breeder (big difference in a back yard breeder vs reputable) you are better able to predict the temperament and health of the puppies that are produced.. Reputable breeders are in business to better the breed-health, temperament, etc. and provide quality puppies to people who want that breed.

There is nothing wrong with rescuing, but you have to understand that you don't get the same predictablity. That's really, IMO the only difference... in regards to finding a companion.

It is an entirely different ball game when you have a purpose for the dog you want. If you want to do a sport or working dog, it is, IMO, imperative you go through a breeder because you NEED to know the history of the line, the drives, temperaments, etc.

#8 ·
I have done both...I started out with two rescue German Shepherds and the third is from a breeder. Several reasons I chose to go with a breeder is 1 ) breeder support 2) you know the parents and history and 3 ) health and temperament testing. There are more reasons, but these are my top reasons for choosing a breeder. I also foster German Shepherds and later down the road, will adopt another when the time is right. There is no right or wrong for choosing to buy from a breeder as long as the breeder is reputable. These breeders put effort into ensuring their puppies go to homes where they'll thrive. If for some reason a puppy has to be returned, they take the puppy back.

I love my rescue boy I have now, but he is very nervy. He was an abuse/neglect case. I got him when he was 1.5 yrs old. He's come very far with training, but he has his issues. I always make sure to place him in situations where he'll succeed and feel confident. Over time, he learned to just focus on me when out and he's fine.

#9 ·
If you want or require a dog with certain traits. Say for example, you need a protection dog/police service dog. The *vast* majority of all GSDs are not suitable for this role. When you breed a female that is an ideal personal protection dog/police service dog to a male that is an ideal personal protection dog/police service dog, a breeder would be ecstatic if half the litter was able to fill the role of a personal protection dog. Realistically maybe one or two puppies would be. Trying to find the same quality dog in a rescue or shelter and the likelyhood drops to effectively zero.

Replace "protection dog/police service dog" with any other specific traits you may require and you have the same scenario.

#10 ·
Saying purchasing from a breeder is killing a shelter dog is truly a load of garbage. It's a chicken/egg argument, the dog was bred somewhere in the world and all dogs deserve a loving home. Where it comes from once it's born is irrelevant to the worthiness of the dog to live in a good home

If every dog was never bred again, well there would be no more dogs very quickly wouldn't there. What we need are more breeders that health test, title, and are truly working at sustaining and improving the breed rather than just breeding two dogs because they are pretty or the family wants a puppy from their special dog. Everyone believes their dog is special, but that doesn't mean they are special enough to add more dogs into the world.

I have a dog from a reputable breeder, I stupidly bought a dog from a BYB, and my first dog was rescued from a shelter. I currently volunteer with a local rescue and my parents foster for the same rescue. All my dogs were and are special in their own way, but from now on I completely leave the breeding to the people that spend years researching and planning. If you want a great dog, stack the odds in your favour

On the flip side there are many awful rescues and shelters out there just grabbing animals left and right so they can make a buck 'selling' them to Joe Public without a thought to the quality of life that animal will have. They just want to look good in the public eye and make money under the table. Those people disgust me just as much as awful breeders do

#15 ·
i have never understood this logic
if nobody adopts a shelter dog then yes it does die

how is that not true :confused:
When I made the decision to get Delgado I had already exhausted the rescue/shelter route. I knew I was looking for a breeder so irregardless of what dogs were in the rescue/shelter I wasn't looking at adopting anyways. I wanted the health guarantee, I wanted the breeder support, I wanted the registered pedigree, I wanted a dog I could trust in most if not all circumstances - I wasn't even opening Petfinder or checking anywhere so yes a good match may have slipped through my fingers but truly I didn't and don't care.

People that have decided either way (and that is a high percentage) aren't going to be swayed. Or the opposite happens and they see a photo and fall in love within moments, where the dog came from at that moment doesn’t matter one bit.

#17 ·
I have 4 dogs that all came from different places/situations. My lab mix came from a pregnant dog that we found on the streets of Mexico. A family member took the dog in, cared for her when she had her puppies, found homes for them (we took 1), got her spayed, and she still lives with her now. My aussie mix came from a high kill animal shelter. My chihuahua/dachshund mix came from a rescue. I have also fostered and volunteered at animal shelters, so I am well acquainted with the pet overpopulation problem. My 4th dog is a GSD from a responsible breeder. Why did we decide to go that route?

1. We wanted a GSD; a dog with specific traits and temperament. While we are definitely a "pet home," we also wanted a dog to get involved in sports with.

2. A well-bred GSD is a wonderful dog, but a poorly-bred one can be a disaster and a liability. We needed a dog that would be safe and social around people, kids, our other dogs, and our cat.

3. I wanted to stack the odds in my favor by getting a dog with a good genetic background and raising the dog the way I wanted to from a puppy.

There are many wonderful dogs in shelters and rescues. I know it; I have 3 at my feet right now. But I strongly disagree with the idea that someone who buys from a responsible breeder is taking a home away from a shelter dog. I got my GSD with specific things in mind, and a shelter dog would not have fit my requirements. This doesn't mean that I won't rescue another dog in the future or that I don't help shelters and rescues now in other ways. Also there's a huge difference between the truly responsible, reputable breeders whose dogs do not end up in animal shelters and your average back yard breeder who pumps out puppies just to make a buck. But the biggest problem are the irresponsible pet owners whose intact pets continue to breed indiscriminately and fill up animal shelters.

Pet overpopulation is a serious issue, but good breeders and those who buy from them aren't the problem. If you want to make a difference: educate people on responsible pet ownership, spaying/neutering pets, only getting a suitable pet for your lifestyle, training your pets, and not getting rid of your pets when are no longer new and become an "inconvenience."

#19 · (Edited)
well usually what really happens is that people dont want a rescued dog but dont want to fork over the $1200 or more for a well bred one so they go to a bad breeder

and get a crap dog from them

more people should encourage rescue when people dont want to spend or cannot spend $1000 + for a well bred dog

because until that happens bad breeders will always have a market

you do realize that people on this forum are a minority in actually caring about where their puppy comes from, right? :confused:

what they want isn't going to be found in the shelter.
i replied to shade and when i hit the enter key i saw your reply
i do think that other than high level ipo for instance you can find good dogs in shelters
drug detection and bomb dogs and sar dogs often come from shelters and the people who train them visit shelters regularly to check for ball crazy dogs to be their next drug or bomb dog

#20 ·
i replied to shade and when i hit the enter key i saw your reply
i do think that other than high level ipo for instance you can find good dogs in shelters
drug detection and bomb dogs and sar dogs often come from shelters and the people who train them visit shelters regularly to check for ball crazy dogs to be their next drug or bomb dog
I don't think it's "often." It does happen, sure... and usually the rescues that are used are actually really well-bred dogs that somehow ended up in a shelter (or more commonly, a breed-specific rescue). The chances of finding one are pretty small though, and then a fairly large amount of resources has to go into evaluation and fixing whatever problems the dog likely has. I know of someone who has a dutchie who would very likely have made an excellent narc dog, but a monumental amount of time and resources would need to go into fixing her issues in order for her to be functional for a police unit. He's a retired officer who solely does rescue now, so he's got that time, but most departments don't have that available.

#22 ·
I know of a few people that go to shelters and get the beagle breed mixes for bedbug detection. Most all of them are successful in training to detect.
When responsible breeders screen carefully their puppy owners they are doing their best to prevent the pup ending anywhere without their consent or being informed of the rehome. There are brokers/breeders that only care about a sale. Yesterday I alerted a trainer/breeder about one of his sales being on an adoption page. He had no idea, and I hope he'll get that dog back to place in a more appropriate home.
It isn't always a breeders fault when one of their pups/dogs end up in a shelter.

#23 ·
No, most people realize that dogs without a registered pedigree can't be proven purebred any more than a shelter dog of unknown origin can. Where the BYB and the like make their money is off the bogus registries like the Continental Kennel Club. They sucker in those people that just see ‘pedigree’ or ‘papers’ and don’t look any further. But they're willing to take that chance because the parents look purebred enough and the puppies are too adorable to resist and cheap.

Or a BYB gets their hands on a dog with a well-known sire/dam and breeds the dogs gloating over their ancestor’s success. Joe Public doesn't care if it's 4-5 or even 10 generations removed, they just like the thought that their dog came from Rin Tin Tin's lines or the like.

#29 ·
lol My name is Shanna so either is correct :)

#30 ·
I've had a mix of purchased dogs and pound dogs and "other" (as in personal acquisition/rehome situation).

A reputable breeder looks to produce exceptional dogs - re temperment and health and assure the future of the breed.

The people that I see causing problems with "shelter" or pound dogs are the ones that breed without health clearances, without the goal of a "better dog". Like people who just let their animals breed with whomever is in season/available. Or people who do not care or well-meaning but ignorant people who put two "nice looking" "sweet" dogs together.

To me it is "right" to buy from a reputable breeder when you want to and can afford it.

#35 ·
It depends on why you want the dog, what you plan to do with it and your abilities as a trainer. A rescue dog might need to be retrained as part of the training process. Only an experienced trainer knows how to do that, so you could end up getting a less expensive dog and then pay more for the training. If you are a natural or experienced trainer and can do that yourself, then go for a rescue. There are beautiful purebred dogs in shelter and rescue groups. If you go that route, try to get a dog you can foster first or test out in your home before committing. It's kinder to you and the dog. When I've done that, the answer was clear. I've turned fosters back to the rescue when it wasn't a match.

If you have a specific training plan in mind, like SAR or IPO, you have a more direct route toward your goal with a dog that was bred for that type of work and training.

I've done both. What's important is to make the right decision for you at this point in your life, not because you think you should follow someone else's idea of the right way to obtain a dog.

#36 ·
I used to train where US customs boarded their dogs. The procurement guy also would board dogs as he went around his territory looking for prospects. Sometimes he was able to find a trailer full (12 dogs) in his search and sometimes he found 2. Of those a small percentage ended up being able to do the job. There just are not enough rescue/shelter dogs available that are suitable for the working world and if we eliminated breeders there would be none at all.

Not everyone wants a dog from rescue. Some people want and need a dog bred for a specific purpose. If breeders did not exist many of these people would not just go adopt a dog. They would just not get a dog at all. Blaming the death of a shelter dog on people who buy puppies from a breeder is a emotional guilt trip and nothing more. Blame should be laid at the feet of those responsible. The people who dumped them in the first place.

#37 ·
If someone tells me they are looking for a dog with specific behaviors; good with children, quiet, good natured (etc.) I always direct them to rescues. Most have already housed the dog (with Fosters) and already know what could be expected from the dog.

If someone tells me they are looking for a dog with specific traits, I'll provide information regarding reputable breeders.

The big difference for me - is if someone comes to me and tells me they are looking for a dog because their dog of umpteen years just died, I'll direct to a rescue. I think it does their heart good.

#38 · (Edited)
I was in your place once. I wholeheartedly believed that you could get any kind of dog from a rescue. And that not rescuing does take a home away from an animal in need.

But here's the reality and it's a sad one, you simply can't save them all. And not all rescues are suitable for adoption. But it seems as humans we love to stand by the long shots, the dogs with bite records, while perfectly good, well rounded dogs die in shelters daily. {personally I think this the bigger issue with the rescue world}

And as others have said: not all rescues are created equal (neither are breeders for that matter). Some will lie about the dogs they have to get them adopted. Others make the adoption process so strenuous most of us here would not get the go ahead. And I do understand why these policies are in place, but where do you draw the line when finding the right home for a dog?

I did the whole rescue thing. My first dog was 8 months when I adopted him. I miss Avery every single day, but he simply wasn't easy to live with. His fear issues were so extreme he cowered in fear if something fell off the table or if I put the blinds down. He became very fear reactive to strangers and anyone outside his "inner circle"...to top it all off he had a MCT removed at 2 and he died of lymphoma at 4.

And I later found out the lovely rescue I got him from that had a beautiful website filled with all these beautiful heart wrenching stories of dogs that found their way...was being run my a dog hoarder. Who kept at least 1/2 of their adoptable dogs caged in his basement without proper care (things as simple as a clean place to sleep and water), and you could forget about proper medical care. The dogs that died in his hands, well they still haunt me..

So for me, going with a breeder, was what I needed this time around. I want a dog with solid nerves and a dog with known lines so hopefully I can avoid the heartbreak of a short lived dog...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#40 ·
If this is about the birds and the bees, hang on a sec and let me get something to take notes with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.