To breed or not to breed, that is the question... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default To breed or not to breed, that is the question...

Hello all,

I have a question that I wanted to ask to see people's take on it. I personally, strongly disagree with buying from a breeder. I feel like every time a dog is bought from a breeder, a shelter dog loses their chance. However; I am open minded and would like to know people's arguments for breeding or buying from breeders. So the real question is:
is there ever a time when it's okay to buy from a breeder? And if so what are the circumstances that. Led you to this?why did you feel like there was no other option?and for the people who disagree with buying from a breeder, what are your reasons? I know how I feel, but at the same time I will try to be non judgemental and to learn from everyone's comments and their reasons. Thank you all for participating.
BARBIElovesSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I see no problem with buying a puppy from a reputable breeder or buying from a rescue group. I have done both. The problem arises with rescuing adult dogs for me is I have small children and not knowing a dogs background or parentage can be dangerous.
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Buying from a breeder does not mean a shelter dog dies. That is such a ridiculous argument.
I will happily buy from a responsible breeder, those are the ones that don't have dogs ending up in shelter or rescue.
I've also worked for rescues and have a rescued GSD.
If people don't want to buy from a breeder, all good.
If people don't want to pay for a pup from a responsible breeder and go elsewhere for one that is cheap because a person putting two dogs together to make puppies for that market, not good. Those are the ones adding to the shelter population.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Of course there are times when it's ok to buy from a breeder. It's a personal decision. Personally, I wanted something very specific in terms of temperament and drive, and I wanted the cards stacked in my favor. All of my rescues have been good dogs that I loved, but had major issues. I wanted to minimize those chances and know what I was getting. I also wanted a dog to compete in IPO with- something that is extremely difficult to find in a shelter (you have a slightly better chance with a rescue), and I'm too novice at the sport to know what to look for in an adult dog that would make them suitable for the sport. I also wanted a dog that would be suitable to work livestock and balanced enough to still be a house pet.

Good, reputable breeders take the time to ensure their dogs go to suitable homes where they won't be dumped, and if life circumstances change they will always take their dogs back. Most of the breeders I know are also active in rescue, through evaluating, fostering, etc. To say that a shelter dog loses their chance when someone purchases from a breeder is ignorant at best. I didn't kill another dog by buying my dog. I wasn't ready for a rescue at the time, so if I didn't buy my dog I would have ended up with NO dog- it's not just "get a dog for the sake of getting a dog, and you have two options."

Rescues are also notoriously difficult. It is EXTREMELY difficult to adopt from GSD-specific rescues around here, especially if you have children or other animals. I've also had bad experiences with shady rescues (and yes, just like there are shady breeders, there are shady rescues). The time will come when I will take in a rescue, but there is only one person I trust at this point (and who I have enough of a relationship with where I'm not just a bulleted checklist on an application).

As for breeding, the really good, reputable breeders do what they do to better the breed we all love. If careful breeding didn't happen, all that would be left are the genetic messes produced by Joe Schmoe with the cute puppies who would still be breeding no matter what. That would mean the end of this breed. Take the time to get to know some GOOD breeders and appreciate the amount of love and time and knowledge that goes into what they do... the work behind studying pedigrees, training and titling their dogs, etc... breeding isn't just slapping a male and female together. My female is pretty much EXACTLY what she was predicted to be when experts looked at her pedigree. It's nice to know what I'm in for... and that I also have the help and support of her breeder should issues ever arise in the future.

Basically, it's not either-or. Many of us here have both breeder dogs and rescues, and many breeders participate in rescue. There's no, "for every puppy produced by a breeder, one dies in a shelter..."
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi there Well I am glad you are at least curious. Mind you this forum is pro breeders so I do believe you will get some insight here.

I bought Titan from a breeder before I knew why it was a good thing. And now, I am looking at rescuing.

IMO there is no better choice between buying from a breeder vs rescue a GSD if you are wanting a companion. When it becomes important is when you want a certain temperament, a certain drive, a certain line, etc. With buying from a REPUTABLE breeder (big difference in a back yard breeder vs reputable) you are better able to predict the temperament and health of the puppies that are produced.. Reputable breeders are in business to better the breed-health, temperament, etc. and provide quality puppies to people who want that breed.

There is nothing wrong with rescuing, but you have to understand that you don't get the same predictablity. That's really, IMO the only difference... in regards to finding a companion.

It is an entirely different ball game when you have a purpose for the dog you want. If you want to do a sport or working dog, it is, IMO, imperative you go through a breeder because you NEED to know the history of the line, the drives, temperaments, etc.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone. Even though I still strongly believe in what I said and do not think I am ignorant, I enjoy hearing someone else's polar opinion, it helps me be more understanding even if I don't agree. So thank you all :-)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

That was a helpful post. Thank you young, yes I can see why people who want their dogs to compete or take specialized training would be more inclined to purchase from a breeder.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have done both...I started out with two rescue German Shepherds and the third is from a breeder. Several reasons I chose to go with a breeder is 1 ) breeder support 2) you know the parents and history and 3 ) health and temperament testing. There are more reasons, but these are my top reasons for choosing a breeder. I also foster German Shepherds and later down the road, will adopt another when the time is right. There is no right or wrong for choosing to buy from a breeder as long as the breeder is reputable. These breeders put effort into ensuring their puppies go to homes where they'll thrive. If for some reason a puppy has to be returned, they take the puppy back.

I love my rescue boy I have now, but he is very nervy. He was an abuse/neglect case. I got him when he was 1.5 yrs old. He's come very far with training, but he has his issues. I always make sure to place him in situations where he'll succeed and feel confident. Over time, he learned to just focus on me when out and he's fine.
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
Hello all,

I have a question that I wanted to ask to see people's take on it. I personally, strongly disagree with buying from a breeder. I feel like every time a dog is bought from a breeder, a shelter dog loses their chance. However; I am open minded and would like to know people's arguments for breeding or buying from breeders. So the real question is:
is there ever a time when it's okay to buy from a breeder? And if so what are the circumstances that. Led you to this?why did you feel like there was no other option?and for the people who disagree with buying from a breeder, what are your reasons? I know how I feel, but at the same time I will try to be non judgemental and to learn from everyone's comments and their reasons. Thank you all for participating.
If you want or require a dog with certain traits. Say for example, you need a protection dog/police service dog. The *vast* majority of all GSDs are not suitable for this role. When you breed a female that is an ideal personal protection dog/police service dog to a male that is an ideal personal protection dog/police service dog, a breeder would be ecstatic if half the litter was able to fill the role of a personal protection dog. Realistically maybe one or two puppies would be. Trying to find the same quality dog in a rescue or shelter and the likelyhood drops to effectively zero.

Replace "protection dog/police service dog" with any other specific traits you may require and you have the same scenario.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Saying purchasing from a breeder is killing a shelter dog is truly a load of garbage. It's a chicken/egg argument, the dog was bred somewhere in the world and all dogs deserve a loving home. Where it comes from once it's born is irrelevant to the worthiness of the dog to live in a good home

If every dog was never bred again, well there would be no more dogs very quickly wouldn't there. What we need are more breeders that health test, title, and are truly working at sustaining and improving the breed rather than just breeding two dogs because they are pretty or the family wants a puppy from their special dog. Everyone believes their dog is special, but that doesn't mean they are special enough to add more dogs into the world.

I have a dog from a reputable breeder, I stupidly bought a dog from a BYB, and my first dog was rescued from a shelter. I currently volunteer with a local rescue and my parents foster for the same rescue. All my dogs were and are special in their own way, but from now on I completely leave the breeding to the people that spend years researching and planning. If you want a great dog, stack the odds in your favour

On the flip side there are many awful rescues and shelters out there just grabbing animals left and right so they can make a buck 'selling' them to Joe Public without a thought to the quality of life that animal will have. They just want to look good in the public eye and make money under the table. Those people disgust me just as much as awful breeders do

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.