German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Weekly Discussion Topics (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/weekly-discussion-topics/)
-   -   What is the hardest part about owning a dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/weekly-discussion-topics/465817-what-hardest-part-about-owning-dog.html)

Zeeva 07-01-2014 01:59 AM

What is the hardest part about owning a dog?

What is the hardest part about owning a dog?

Exercising and keeping your pup fit? Cost? Lack of affection from pup? A washout? Saying goodbye? Vacationing? Keeping the house clean?...

Why?

Ellimaybel 07-01-2014 02:04 AM

I would say that moment when your humility kicks in because you realize that you don't know everything. It's not that having humility is hard, it's hard to recognize when you may be in over your head with something involving your dog and asking for help while risking judgment. Just my very humble opinion. :)

trcy 07-01-2014 02:18 AM

I think the hardest thing is when they are sick or hurt. They can't tell you whats wrong. They have to go to the vet and sometimes stay several days. They don't understand why and just want to be home. That's the hardest thing for me.

Jaxx's mom 07-01-2014 02:21 AM

Saying goodbye. My family used to have a Boston terrier and she passed in her sleep when she was 13. That was the first and only time I have ever seen my dad cry, and that is really saying something.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lawmarshall 07-01-2014 02:36 AM

hardest part is saying goodbye.... ive got my 2nd gsd lived until 14years and say good bye to me last 2010..... you'll miss his loyal face, his bark, his sweet endearment when asking for treats... and so many things... how i wish i could get another one....

Pax8 07-01-2014 03:03 AM

Definitely saying goodbye. I've raised, trained, and care for many dogs. I've nursed quite a few through sickness and injury. But saying goodbye that last time is always the hardest. I can eventually comfort myself knowing they lived a good life with me, and they're free from the growing discomfort of old age. But there's always a very selfish part of me that wants them to keep going no matter what. To keep living because I don't want to be without them. I often feel very ashamed of that, but it's always there.

Alice13 07-01-2014 03:25 AM

Saying goodbye definitely. Every day I pray that I will nit have to go through it anytime soon and that Alice lives a long happy life with me and my family

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The Packman 07-01-2014 03:48 AM

The hardest thing for me is when my Shepherds want to go out and I let them out and 2 minutes later they want to come in, than 2 minutes later they want to go out again, so I let them out and 2 minutes later they want to come back in, than 2 minutes later they want to go out again !

ETC, ETC, ETC !

Sabis mom 07-01-2014 04:39 AM

Saying goodbye. Watching that light in their eyes go out forever, hearing that last exhale, feeling that unstoppable heart flutter to a stop. It's a deal we make when we bring them home, and it looms in the distance like some great void until that final moment when it reaches out and pulls us in.
In that moment the all the rest, the mess, the work, the mud and hair, the aching muscles, the spilled drinks and stolen steak, become the things you yearn for. Each and every moment is a fallen leaf, that will never be again until finally the tree is left bare with only a memory of what it was to blossom.

llombardo 07-01-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabis mom (Post 5713721)
Saying goodbye. Watching that light in their eyes go out forever, hearing that last exhale, feeling that unstoppable heart flutter to a stop. It's a deal we make when we bring them home, and it looms in the distance like some great void until that final moment when it reaches out and pulls us in.
In that moment the all the rest, the mess, the work, the mud and hair, the aching muscles, the spilled drinks and stolen steak, become the things you yearn for. Each and every moment is a fallen leaf, that will never be again until finally the tree is left bare with only a memory of what it was to blossom.

This made me tear up. Everything in this post. Whenever I think they are frustrating me for whatever reason I always think of a way to make it a precious memory.