What is dignity? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think committing suicide is a whole other issue on that topic but I have, and most recently with a family member who had stage 4 cancer tell us he was done and couldn't do it anymore..

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Yeah, I know. I've said it myself when I was younger and stupider.

While I wouldn't want to live in a wheelchair or in pain, chances are that if/when it happens I won't kill myself.

People are very adaptable. They can and do adapt to A LOT.

I'd be interested to know how many sick people committed suicide once they became sick just because they didn't want to live sick or disabled. I'd think it's a tiny %.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Ouch...younger AND stupider...

I'm not talking about offing myself as soon as I lose the ability to walk or the first time I shat my britches. I'm just saying there comes a point when the quality of life is not there. I've never had to make that decision so I'm certainly not claiming to know all the answers.

ZoeD1217 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I think committing suicide is a whole other issue on that topic but I have, and most recently with a family member who had stage 4 cancer tell us he was done and couldn't do it anymore..

It's not. It's related. People don't say that I'm choosing to put my dog down because he's a burden at this point, they say that they're doing it because a dog wouldn't want to live in this condition. Since dogs can't tell us I think it's OK to use people as an example. Same survival instinct we are going against.

lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I was a child about 11, both of my grandmothers dogs should have been pts a long time before they were. I promised myself I would never let my dogs suffer. Over the years I've had to make that decision more times than I'd care too. Apache and Kiya aren't there yet but I pay attention to the little things we often take for granted. I don't mind helping them get up, cleaning up an accident or whatever else. They still go for walks short ones and they still get all excited.
Stinks getting old.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default What is dignity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
Ouch...younger AND stupider...

I'm not talking about offing myself as soon as I lose the ability to walk or the first time I shat my britches. I'm just saying there comes a point when the quality of life is not there. I've never had to make that decision so I'm certainly not claiming to know all the answers.

Lol yep. Pretty stupid still and will remain that way))))) it's actually fun. The more you know the more you actually do want to off yourself.
But back to the subject. I agree with the quality of life, it's just very hard for us to actually decide to kill ourselves. Or let someone euthanize us. I'm assuming it's the same for dogs.

I'm not knocking anyone for euthanizing, please don't take it that way. I put my cat down myself.

I can stop writing here all together. It's a sensitive topic and I don't want to offend anyone

Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
That's really so sad, my husband is stage 4 he has been on chemo for about a year and a half and I see it taking it's toll on him.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
When I was a child about 11, both of my grandmothers dogs should have been pts a long time before they were. I promised myself I would never let my dogs suffer. Over the years I've had to make that decision more times than I'd care too. Apache and Kiya aren't there yet but I pay attention to the little things we often take for granted. I don't mind helping them get up, cleaning up an accident or whatever else. They still go for walks short ones and they still get all excited.
Stinks getting old.

Yep, lots that happens in childhood makes us who we are. Maybe if I had your experiences I wouldn't be saying what I'm saying.

It's a sensitive subject. But I like talking about diff things and getting diff opinions. I'm not trying to offend or judge anyone.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess I don't consider a dog having dignity. Yes, they may feel worried when they potty in the house, and we have to just clean it up, not saying it is ok, not punishing the dog, just taking it as a matter of course. But I do not know that, that would be the deciding factor in when to euthanize.

For me it is a quality of life thing. If the dog is in pain, and is depressed -- does not want to get up, does not want to eat, etc. It is probably time. We can help dogs go to the bridge, so they do not need to suffer through the process of dying.

On that note, Babs had a major loose stool episode waiting for me when I woke up this morning. I put her outside and started cleaning. And cleaning. She had walked in it, so I had to scrub the floor in my bedroom, the hall, and the bathroom where she planted it. She did not seem embarrassed at all. It was storming and wet out there last night that I let her out in the front and she peed, but I didn't maybe give her the opportunity to poop. So it was probably my fault. I also gave her raw eggs that I had dipped the floured chicken into, maybe that did not go over well. Can't tell. Only she did not feel it any loss of dignity.

When I let her in, I crated her for a while. So I could feed the puppies and let the big guy out in the house for a while, and when I finally did let her back in, she immediately took up her post on my newly made bed of fresh bedding, not in the least bit disturbed about the horror story I had to clean up. And I did not give her any trouble about it, because, it was loose, when that stuff wants out, it comes out, like it or not.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Lol yep. Pretty stupid still and will remain that way))))) it's actually fun. The more you know the more you actually do want to off yourself.
But back to the subject. I agree with the quality of life, it's just very hard for us to actually decide to kill ourselves. Or let someone euthanize us. I'm assuming it's the same for dogs.

I'm not knocking anyone for euthanizing, please don't take it that way. I put my cat down myself.

I can stop writing here all together. It's a sensitive topic and I don't want to offend anyone

Just read my response and it sounds like I'm calling you stupid! I'm not!

I understand what you're getting at. It's a very personal decision and one that I don't look forward to ever having to make.

ZoeD1217 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
Just read my response and it sounds like I'm calling you stupid! I'm not!

I understand what you're getting at. It's a very personal decision and one that I don't look forward to ever having to make.

Lol I called myself stupid. Younger and stupider. Trying to say that I still have lots to learn

Yep))))) I've said many things that I was forced to eat at some point. You don't know what you will do until it happens to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.