Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one?

I used to think they were scary. I would just admire them from a distance and avoid going anywhere near them. I remember when my neighbour's old dog (deceased) barked into my face while we were having a conversation over the fence, I backed away and did not bother concealing my shock and fear. I have no idea how I mustered the courage to own one, but I did. Well what could I do anyway? It was the word of the whole family against mine. But now that Alice is a part of my family, I love her to bits and can't see myself being afraid of her ever. I can't even imagine another dog in Alice's place? Right now, if anyone were to ask me if they should get a gsd, I would definitely say yes. So were you always a gsd lover or did you discover that love somewhere in between like me?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Alice13; 05-26-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Alice13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I've always liked them, just never got a chance to own one until recently. Then I found out they're the perfect breed for me. I don't think my house will ever be without at least one GSD.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
I've always liked them, just never got a chance to own one until recently. Then I found out they're the perfect breed for me. I don't think my house will ever be without at least one GSD.
I don't think my house will ever be too:sly:

Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've always liked them. We had one when I was a child. My sister has owned several.

I'm not scared of any dogs. I am cautious around all dogs. My only concern was the dog playing to rough with my smaller dogs. My female dog used to be scared of larger dogs. Starting with a puppy helped and they all play together nicely.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I remember as a kid this big female GSD named Lady....everybody claimed she was a police dog and all that...most likely she wasn't....just the typical hype. Lady would stay in her unfenced yard when there was no owner present...no such thing as "invisible fences" back then..anyway..every day after school, a few of us would dare each other to see who could run through the biggest portion of Lady's yard ...with Lady in hot pursuit of course. If she caught you, you got a fairly good nip on the butt but nothing which would break the skin. The thing I recall which amazed me..and still to this day....that Lady would break off the instant you hit the street or the boundary of the backyard ( which was even more impressive as there was no definitive demarcation line ). I'll never forget that shepherd...and this discipline she adhered to..without the old man owner out there...hopefully he watched through the window and had a good laugh at kids being kids and his Lady having fun.

I wish I could be as positive about suggesting others should get a GSD unless I really know their commitment and dedication in raising a GSD. They certainly are a bit of work and can try one's patience but all of this effort is so incredibly worth it....I'd just hate to see someone get a GSD on my recommendation and not have the discipline to raise the dog properly to be able to see how incredibly wonderful they can potentially be.

With all that said.....they are the only breed for me!

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I thought then as I do today The finest k9 ever made I was introduced to gsd by stories in 68 or so By a nam vet (canadian) who was a scout dog handler I listened to him hung out daily even got mail from nam from him Big deal for me then He was listed mia in 1970 He was great but in telling this part of him still lives with in me
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
I've always liked them. We had one when I was a child. My sister has owned several.

I'm not scared of any dogs. I am cautious around all dogs. My only concern was the dog playing to rough with my smaller dogs. My female dog used to be scared of larger dogs. Starting with a puppy helped and they all play together nicely.
You are the exact opposite of me. I've never had any experience with one as a kid and used to be so afraid of dogs that I wouldn't even cross one unless I really had to. The fact that my mum was also afraid of them did not help at all. But my fear slowly narrowed down from all dogs to large breeds to none as I grew. But I still fear those dogs with particularly loud barks.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I remember as a kid this big female GSD named Lady....everybody claimed she was a police dog and all that...most likely she wasn't....just the typical hype. Lady would stay in her unfenced yard when there was no owner present...no such thing as "invisible fences" back then..anyway..every day after school, a few of us would dare each other to see who could run through the biggest portion of Lady's yard ...with Lady in hot pursuit of course. If she caught you, you got a fairly good nip on the butt but nothing which would break the skin. The thing I recall which amazed me..and still to this day....that Lady would break off the instant you hit the street or the boundary of the backyard ( which was even more impressive as there was no definitive demarcation line ). I'll never forget that shepherd...and this discipline she adhered to..without the old man owner out there...hopefully he watched through the window and had a good laugh at kids being kids and his Lady having fun.

I wish I could be as positive about suggesting others should get a GSD unless I really know their commitment and dedication in raising a GSD. They certainly are a bit of work and can try one's patience but all of this effort is so incredibly worth it....I'd just hate to see someone get a GSD on my recommendation and not have the discipline to raise the dog properly to be able to see how incredibly wonderful they can potentially be.

With all that said.....they are the only breed for me!

SuperG
That is one impressive dog. No wonder the owner trusts it so much. You are right about the suggesting gsds to others part. I would like you ensure that they are capable of looking after a gsd before suggesting it too.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyadoit View Post
I thought then as I do today The finest k9 ever made I was introduced to gsd by stories in 68 or so By a nam vet (canadian) who was a scout dog handler I listened to him hung out daily even got mail from nam from him Big deal for me then He was listed mia in 1970 He was great but in telling this part of him still lives with in me
Truly they are.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

GSD's were never on the radar for me. I am a Bully Breed/Boxer guy. GSD's have pointed face, pointy ears and to much fur...what's up with that??

Still we fostered a rescue and fell for him! WL OSD great for about 14 months then 'Rank Drive" issues and "people issues" none of which was apparent at 7 months,when we got him!

I over came the problems and learned alot..I also received the first stitches I got in my life! I love my guy he's a fantastic dog and yep I will have another when the day comes that Rocky is gone.

But I pretty much "never" recommend a GSD to anyone unless they have had one! I recommend a Shilo or King Shepherd, most folks want a dog that "looks" like a GSD but aren't prepared to deal with the real thing!

Last edited by Chip18; 05-26-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.