Is this the perception of German Sheherds today? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Is this the perception of German Sheherds today?

I was walking Bear the other day and a boy about 8 or 9 years old said to me as I walked by " is that a German Shepherd?" I replied "yes" he then asked "Is he trained?" I said "yes, he is trained" he then says to me "Good, because if they're not trained German Shepherds will bite you.
I proceeded to politely tell the boy that any dog can bite if it's not trained, not just German Shepherds. I was kind of amazed that he specifically said this about Shepherds.
Has the breed gotten that bad of a rap?
What happened to the good old days where they were viewed as loyal family members and service dogs. Now a days I get more people that will cross over the street than to pass directly by me with my dog. It's all very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I find that most younger kids associate GSD's with the police and as police dogs. I also find that unless they get to know them, some are afraid of them because they are "police dogs", even if they are not. My own nieces and nephews thought this way, that of course has changed, but those were there thoughts.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if you talk to ER Docs, they will tell you, the most common dog bites are from gsd.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
if you talk to ER Docs, they will tell you, the most common dog bites are from gsd.
My regular vet complimented me heavily on both of mine and their behavior, she said sadly they aren't the norm anymore but a welcomed sight.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My regular vet complimented me heavily on both of mine and their behavior, she said sadly they aren't the norm anymore but a welcomed sight.

My vet says the same thing about my GSDs. Mine are a piece of cake at the vets, but apparently not the norm around here.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch.pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I was walking Bear the other day and a boy about 8 or 9 years old said to me as I walked by " is that a German Shepherd?" I replied "yes" he then asked "Is he trained?" I said "yes, he is trained" he then says to me "Good, because if they're not trained German Shepherds will bite you.
I proceeded to politely tell the boy that any dog can bite if it's not trained, not just German Shepherds. I was kind of amazed that he specifically said this about Shepherds.
Has the breed gotten that bad of a rap?
What happened to the good old days where they were viewed as loyal family members and service dogs. Now a days I get more people that will cross over the street than to pass directly by me with my dog. It's all very sad.
I think the breed has always had that rap. Growing up, we always called them police dogs because that's mainly what our PD had and not that many people had them as pets around where I lived. I think it's more outwardly spoken because of all the media, internet, youtube and television shows that are around now.
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
According to the statistics the insurance underwriters use the quote is true.
alexg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I frequently have kids asking me if Abby is a police dog, or recently a little boy asked if she was a "cop dog" I thought he said "hot dog" because it was a warm day and she was panting. So my answer of "well she is probably a little warm" confused the heck out of him. Thankfully my husband heard him correctly and said "no, she is not a cop dog". It surprises me that so many kids ask when my neighborhood has quite a few GSDs and GSD mixes. But this thread did remind me of when I was a kid and a neighbor had what I now know was a sable GSD (probably considered silver). His name was Bandit and he had a reputation for biting neighborhood kids (he was an outside only dog, but he did have free run of their fenced backyard which was large). I loved Bandit and often played with him through the fence and he never so much as growled at me, but he bit some of my friends on the hands/fingers as they would reach over or through the fence to touch him. I don't think the owners ever got in trouble, Bandit lived to a ripe old 12 or so, people just told their kids not to stick their hands through the fence if they didn't want to get bitten. Bandit's backyard backed up to mine, so I saw and played him almost everyday (he would bring tennis balls down to my side of the fence and leave them for me to come and throw for him ). Anyhow, sorry for that little trip down memory lane. I guess my point was that Bandit and his biting days were in the 80's and most people I knew had negative feelings about GSDs then. So I don't know how much has actually changed, at least in the last 30 years.
OrangeJillius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My coworkers hate GSDS because most are poorly bred, poor handled, poorly trained. This equals fearful and bitey. Before people on this board argue, keep in mind that the very fact someone is on this board makes them above the norm. I've met few shepherds in the public world I would call "stable" or "well trained". Most of them I wouldn't trust not to bite me.

my german shepherds are held in high regards in my work place, well above the expected norm.

GSDS are NOT top biters though. That would go to dachshunds, chihuahuas, Jack Russells, cocker spaniels, through a study done that questioned thousands of owners and people that work in the animal industry.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the...prise-you.html

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 05-15-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I find that most younger kids associate GSD's with the police and as police dogs. I also find that unless they get to know them, some are afraid of them because they are "police dogs", even if they are not. My own nieces and nephews thought this way, that of course has changed, but those were there thoughts.
This might be the result of elementary schools inviting police offers with their K9s into the school for education purposes. Kids can easily take things out of proportion.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.