German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this the perception of German Sheherds today?

103K views 83 replies 57 participants last post by  MineAreWorkingline 
#1 ·
I was walking Bear the other day and a boy about 8 or 9 years old said to me as I walked by " is that a German Shepherd?" I replied "yes" he then asked "Is he trained?" I said "yes, he is trained" he then says to me "Good, because if they're not trained German Shepherds will bite you.
I proceeded to politely tell the boy that any dog can bite if it's not trained, not just German Shepherds. I was kind of amazed that he specifically said this about Shepherds.
Has the breed gotten that bad of a rap?
What happened to the good old days where they were viewed as loyal family members and service dogs. Now a days I get more people that will cross over the street than to pass directly by me with my dog. It's all very sad.

#43 ·
I actually see a fair amount of German Shepherds around here, and just the other day when I was taking Apollo for a walk, a woman came out of her house, and called out to me, asking if she could see Apollo up close. She was really good and patient while he let out a few loud barks, but then he was fine. Turns out, she has a 10 year old female shepherd of her own!

More on topic, lots of people I encounter on my walks with Apollo are sadly, initially terrified of him. Even if he does not bark. It breaks my heart because my dog is a giant sweetie who would never hurt a fly. He just wants to be everyones friend! But if he wishes to approach anyone (even some of my mom's guests) they recoil from him, which in turn makes him nervous. :c

#45 ·
This is so very true. Unfortunately my boys are not very extremely socialized but that's not from lack of effort. People around here ( Parma, Ohio ) tend to keep to themselves a lot and when I take my boys out forget it.. People have such a uneducated ideas and general fear about this breed. We have plenty of parks around here but for the most part No Dogs Allowed. It really bothers me because Where I grew up everyone talked to everyone.. I tried to put together a block party a couple years age and only three neighbors thought it was a good idea. But I don't care. My boys are the most loving, loyal, funny dogs I could ever wish for. If people want to avoid them then its their loss not mine.

#46 ·
I am looking for help in finding a home for my German Shepherd, Ritty. Ritty turns 5 in June. He is large (115 lb), black & tan with red highlights, breeder is Shewana Shepherds (Harvard, Illinois). For many reasons my wife and I cannot keep Ritty any longer. I've tried to work with GSD rescues but no one will take Ritty because he has fear aggression or anxiety aggression issues. I got Ritty from the breeder at 16 weeks, nearly 17 weeks, of age. I tried to introduce Ritty to other dogs, children and adults early on. I brought him to a respected trainer in our area (Frank Brader). But for some reason(s), Ritty has never allowed people into our home. He has aggressively lunged at children inside our home but never bit any of them. In the park, he is friendly with anyone. In our home he has shown aggression toward adults and did bite both of my daughters' boyfriends (young men in their mid-20s). Neither bite broke skin but he did leave bruises. Because GSDs are considered aggressive, warning bites (or fear/anxiety bites) are considered acts of aggression and I am told my dog is too much of a risk and should be put down. I was wondering, as a last gasp measure to save his life, if perhaps a retired K-9 handler or a strong male alpha type who lives alone and who can handle a highly charged dog might be out there. Ritty is great with other dogs and off the leash at dog parks, and people can pet him and play with him. Inside the house, that is another matter. I'd appreciate any help from folks experienced with GSDs. Thank you.

#48 ·
I don't trust boxers, huskies, Rhodesian ridgebacks are some of the worst IMHO, I don't trust shibas, schnauzers, dachshunds, chihuahuas, American eskimos. Those are the breeds on my list.

Rottweilers as well. They can actually be scary, I've seen more than a few that just snap without given warning

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#52 · (Edited)
WOW don't trust Boxers?? And yet on your list no Pitt Bulls?? (I say that as a former owner of that breed too) :)

As with any dog it depends on the training and the commitment of the owners! Boxers are "Not" in the top on Doggie IQ charts! They pretty much don't give a crap about what "you" want! Pretty much "are you serious???" is there take on training!:p

Lots of folks can't deal, hence in my opinion problem dogs! I can be a (condcending A hole ) qoute from my wife!) :blush: Raised a "perfect" Boxer, she had "Zero" issues! All the ones I have know have been just like here in regards to people. Maybe folks are seeing the Euro Boxers?? The American Boxers are "typically" goof balls!

I have met and know of plenty of Boxers in my life they are all like my girl in regards to people! You need to meet a better class of Boxers! :)

Yep they are 'classified" as working dogs but the American Boxers, not really sure what that "work" would be...unless it's having a good time!:D

#57 ·
My trainer who has been in the business for twenty years will tell you that her only bite has been from a chihuahua.

#59 ·
I think fear of GSD's has been pretty longstanding. My parents owned a GSD when I was a child. Starting when I was about 10 it was my job to walk our dog around the block in the morning (we lived in NYC). Some people would literally cross the street when they saw us coming. This was in the mid 1960's.

Not surprising if you've ever seen pictures of some of the civil rights sit-ins down South being broken up by police dogs (who were invariably GSD's).

#64 ·
I feel that's sad that any breed of dog gets a bad rap in some sense, because more times then not, it's the owner that is ultimately to blame. GSD's especially in my area have a bad reputation, especially after a pair of them went on a rampage for a couple of days attacking random people and charging police:
Woman attacked by 2 dogs in Pontiac - Fox 2 News Headlines

But I think the info for dog bites is kind of all over the place...I just read an article saying pit bulls caused the most bites/most damage overall. I think they need to lump in other data along with it. Sometimes a reported "bite" isn't as bad as they say. They are only using data that supports that someone went to the ER for a dog bite, not it's severity or the circumstances...

#66 ·
Maybe that boy has had a terrible experience with an untrained gsd before. And you can't blame those people who get scared and avoid our dogs. Their size and wolf-like look can get intimidating sometimes. Even I would think twice before approaching another gsd as I am uncertain of its nature. That does not mean I think that all gsds are bad. It just feels like the right thing to do to avoid dogs we are not sure of, regardless of its breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#67 ·
They are more mouthy than other breeds but, interestingly, I've read Labradors are the most likely to bite out of fear or anxiety. This is according to a vet in response to the general assumption that shepherds or pit bulls are the more dangerous patient.

My vet has never asked to muzzle my dogs before but when Bruno had his vaccinations, they asked if I'd be so kind as to place him in a muzzle.

While all three of my dogs look like they'll be the worst part of your day if you got on their bad side, only my Gsd has that "wolf" resemblance. It's deep in our biology to fear wolves. Don't be offended. That's very handy when have criminal crosses your path.

#68 ·
Is this the perception of German Shepherds today?

No one comes close to Keeno and I. They look at him but definitely do not approach or speak. He is totally black and I have heard people fear them more as they can not see the facial expressions. I do not mind if people stay away as most people bug me!!! :lurking:.Lol

#70 ·
It might just be a product of where you live. I live in an area of Charlotte that is very dog friendly. When I take Sandor out, I mostly get compliments on how he looks, and when I take him to places like bars and restaurants in the neighborhood that allow dogs, everyone always wants to pet him and only a very small percentage of people (less than five percent, probably more like one or two) seem intimidated by his presence.

German Shepherds are fairly popular here despite being banned at all of the apartment complexes in the area that I know of (including mine, which is why on my lease agreement I'm the proud owner of a somewhat large Belgian Malinois). Then again, if people actually listened to those stupid breed restrictions in the first place half the dogs in our building would be evicted, as most of them are pit bull or GSD mixes adopted from shelters, and there is also another pure GSD, a Doberman, and at least one Rottweiler in the building too.

Sandor is kind of a wuss when I take him places (he whines a bit from time to time), but he likes people and will go up and sniff them when they walk by and wag his tail when they pet him. I like taking him to social places where there aren't a lot of dogs (he's hit or miss with them, although very good with puppies), as he tends to be very calm and chill despite the fact that he's all energy at home. He's kind of the opposite of my Boxer, who is lazy at home and a social butterfly (must meet everyone in the room immediately) when I take him places.

#72 ·
It might just be a product of where you live. I live in an area of Charlotte that is very dog friendly. When I take Sandor out, I mostly get compliments on how he looks, and when I take him to places like bars and restaurants in the neighborhood that allow dogs, everyone always wants to pet him and only a very small percentage of people (less than five percent, probably more like one or two) seem intimidated by his presence.

German Shepherds are fairly popular here despite being banned at all of the apartment complexes in the area that I know of (including mine, which is why on my lease agreement I'm the proud owner of a somewhat large Belgian Malinois). Then again, if people actually listened to those stupid breed restrictions in the first place half the dogs in our building would be evicted, as most of them are pit bull or GSD mixes adopted from shelters, and there is also another pure GSD, a Doberman, and at least one Rottweiler in the building too.
It might be that I just didn't notice, but I never saw GSDs around when I lived there. It could also be that people in Uptown Charlotte had a lot of labs, boxers, and mastiff type dogs - I do remember seeing tons of those, and I rarely left Uptown.

#76 ·
Judging is a survival mechanism. Everyone does it in all situations all day long. The important thing is for folks to change their perception as they get more information.
I tend to have the opposite problem, with people making wrong assumptions. My she-pup is a smaller female and she looks cute. People want to approach her but she doesn't like strangers coming too close too quickly. She lets them know with a quick bark, No Thank You. If folks didn't jump to the conclusion that she looks like she wants to be pat, life would be easier. My big boy, on the other hand, looks like a dog that needs to be approached cautiously. He is the one who is more accepting of attention.

I like going for long walks. When my dogs come with me, it is that judging of a GSD as a serious dog that adds a layer of safety to my walk. If I ever need some documentation that my dogs are not more dangerous than the normal dog, I have my boy's BH and CGC. My she-pup has yet to be tested on those. Still working on her manners.
It is fairly common to see GSDs around here. There are 4 on our block.

#77 · (Edited)
It is not easy to have an objective discussion on dog bites by breed because a lot of people come into this conversation with pre-formed opinions. Everyone has their "it" breed that they are wary of or like to point fingers at. In my area, GSD's definitely qualify as an "it" breed. It took me forever to find an apartment that would let me in with a GSD. When I walk down the street, it's not unusual for people to part like the Red Sea or go to the other side. My dog isn't the type that can be pet by a random stranger (at least not without an introduction) but he has never gone out of his way to confront someone who was simply walking by; a lot of people assume he is dangerous just based on looks and breed reputation alone. Whereas on any given day I take a walk, I'll see people approaching and showering another person's Pitbull or Rottweiler with pets and praise.....Go figure.

The other inherent problem with discussing bites by breed is figuring out the bites per capita. Certain studies have documented total # of bites by different groups and breeds, but you really need to know how those incident #'s stand in relation to the breed/group's total population to get the full picture. To my knowledge, no one has done a study like that, likely because it is extremely difficult to get a solid # for any given breed owned in this country. You can point out how breed X has 200 more bites than another breed, but unless you know the overall number of breed x dogs relative to the other breed, that bite number is close to meaningless. With a popular breed, like the GSD, you would expect there to be a certain number of incidents every year based on the laws of probability. And based on the breed's historical and contemporary use in personal protection, sports, and government service, it is certainly more likely to be aggressive with a human (especially if poorly trained) relative to most other breeds. That's not a knock on the breed. A dog is a product of its genetics and upbringing. That's why a hound hunts, a husky pulls, and a GSD protects.

IMHO, people should be more focused on a breed's genetic/breeding background rather than bite #'s when dealing with different types of dogs. I have no problem going up to and petting or even handling another person's Redbone hound because of how that breed was been raised and bred over successive generations. Whereas I'd be very careful about how I approached a GSD (or I might avoid approaching it all together) because of that breed's heritage and genetic pedigree. Obviously, there are individual exceptions, but I think it holds truth in the general sense.

#78 ·
I definitely get the "Does he bite?" question a lot more with my GSD than I do with my Pyr or when I took out my parents Aussie and Lab mix.

I suppose it never really effected me, though, I don't need people to trust my dog. It's more annoying when people think he is 'cool and looks like a wolf' therefor they want to touch him.

#79 ·
Why not. Its my evaluation - having met scores of gsd owners rock up at schutzhund club and fail the temperament test. Lots of badly bred weak nerved fear biters out there. Who get labelled by the blokes that are being dragged around during the temperament tests as a "bit aggro" coz dog is barking n lunging on a leash. A bit deaf too perhaps as its ignoring the owner.
So yep. My current opinion on gsd's as a breed in general is crap. Working line more reliably predictable in temperament.

#80 · (Edited)
Sometimes People’s perceptions are often flawed. People’s stories of getting bit by someone’s gsd goes way way way back and nothing new. grandparents great grand parents most often had a stories good and bad going way back from world war 2.

My dogs are good at vets does not mean much. I had a gsd that was not good at vets did no mean much only to vet. My kids were awful at doctors when they were two and three. They are good kids and great patients and we went through a few doctors when they were little. Till this day I have friends that did not know my first gsd well that said ooh yeah he was real scary just because he Treated them like they did not exist. Karat never over reacted and once let a neighbor take lead to the fenced backyard by his collar/ thinking I was not home and I was outside in garage. Same person tried to enter our house once when I was not home. He did not set a foot inside. Bite marks on the door. Many people relate to the german Shepherd as police, security ,military dogs some remember them. Dogs on the sign of beware of dogs with a scary gsd.

German shepherds are known to be capable of protecting owners and property it is why many people choose to own them -these same traits are what many people would not want to own them -those people who op for golden retrievers, labs and huskies.

A well bred german Shepherd regardless of line that is well trained who has traits that often range and when matched well can make any owner proud.

#81 ·
Most people gush over my boy and say he's gorgeous. But they don't run up and grab him like they do with my goldens. I prefer it, to be honest. I'd rather be left alone. That said, the reactions to him are over all extremely positive, as well as respectful.

#82 · (Edited)
I have only been around loving GSDs, 1st time owner, 8 month extremely well socialized puppy. I have NEVER heard an aggressive growl or indication that he is considering actual aggressive action, EVER. He gets into the "dominance play" at the dog park sometimes--sometimes as far as attempting to "mount" mostly other young boys--I normally "let it go" as long as both/all dogs have their tails up and appear to be having fun--if tails go between legs or he actually starts humping motions, I immediately remove him from park/all fun for 15 seconds, so it doesn't become habitual behavior. But that's the CLOSEST I've seen to anything remotely resembling aggression (pretty remote at that). He's GREAT at the vet's--he actually gets excited b/c there's other dogs to interact/play with (he's very dog affectionate/motivated).

Recently, a small child ran up to him in Petco. He jumped and scratched the child on the lip, there was a tiny drop of blood. We ARE working in jumping!! After apologies/sympathy, explanation, everything seemed "cool". Then the store clerk told me the mother had told her my puppy BIT her child!! What BS!!!

I hear A LOT of stories about people afraid of GSDs who claim they were "bitten" as children....and now I'm doubting the veracity, as I think childhood "memories" and perceptions can get VERY skewed by excitement, fear, parental reaction!!!

I feel terrible my boy may have created such a "future story". Last week, he enjoyed being petted and given treats by two small girls in Home Depot, after they asked if they could pet him. I warned them he sometimes tries to jump, controlled the situation, made him lay down first, IT WAS GREAT?. Two encounters with very young, somewhat timid puppies this week (my boy is 91 lbs), he was excited to sniff/play with them, but I got him to go into "down" position first so they wouldn't be intimidated. He is beginning to go "down" on his own around very small dogs & puppies, I'm very proud.

Curious to read rest of thread, wondering other's perceptions. I don't think GSDs are naturally aggressive.

#84 ·
Your dog is only 8 months old. He has yet to mature. German Shepherds are genetically bred to be aloof and to have a degree of aggression which usually starts to appear at one to two years of age. Don't set your dog up for failure by being complacent thinking that this is your dog's mature temperament and that he won't buy a stranger in the future under the same circumstances.

#83 ·
Actually they are bred to be protective, which is expressed through aggression. It depends on if the dog's protective instincts are appropriate. I am comfortable taking my dog into stores and letting children and women pet him. He has shown some mistrust to males strangers before, probably picking up on some subtle fear signs they are putting off.. The decoy at our club can take my dog's leash if he is giving me some tips in obedience. Recently, my dog was in the van in the crate and my wife had a flat tire. When the AAA guy showed up to fix the tire, he had to get right next to the crate to remove a part holding the spare tire under the van and my dog went ballistic. I think his response was appropriate because a total stranger came directly into his space. He is also protective when people are walking down the road along the fence line. He doesn't go ballistic, but immediately goes to the fence and barks to let them know that the yard is his turf. We have a couple who are neighbors who walk their beagle every evening and when he sees them, he happily runs to see their dog and does not display aggression toward them. So ideally, there should be an element of discernment, the aggression should be confident, and GSDs are not Labradors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.