Where does your love for dogs/GSDs come from? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Where does your love for dogs/GSDs come from?

Where does your love for dogs/GSDs come from? Does it stem from growing up with dogs? Your family/parents always owning a beloved pet? Or do you just love them because you feel it was somehow programmed into you?

What about your love for the sport you compete in? Is it a family tradition? Or something you've independently learned to enjoy?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I fell in love with the breeder form working with a breeder and her 12 GSD dogs. I have never been around such well manner and trained dogs and along the way fell in love. I have always loved GSD thinking they are gorgeous dogs, but getting to work with them everyday made me want one and now I have two. I think its contagious once you get one you can't have enough!!
Tide vom Nobles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dad took me to a Military Working Dog demonstration while we were in Wiesbaden in 1968 or 1969.

All I've ever wanted or owned have been GSD's.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I have always loved dogs since I knew what they were. Most of my childhood toys were dogs. It's definitely one of those "pre-programmed" feelings. We didn't get a family dog until I was eight. That was a long eight years for me lol. I kept trying to convince my parents how to take care of them because I was devouring every dog book I could find.

I didn't really become obsessed with GSDs until I decided to adopt one. Huskies and primitive breeds were always my favorite, but I knew they would be wrong for my personality type.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I saw a working GSD at Frankfurt airport in 1989. That dog knew what he was doing. Was walking deliberately, looking right and left, as if he were just waiting for a bad guy to show up. Dreamed of owning one ever since.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I got to see a MWD demonstration at the Sub Base near where I grew up. I've been hooked since.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Interesting question. it must have come from a previous life as I have craved a dog throughout my childhood for as long as I can remember but was never allowed to have one. It left a gaping hole in my life. But I made up for it big time when I moved out and on my own. Never do I want to be without dogs again. The love for GSDs must have come from my dear grandfather. They were his favorite dogs although he never had one, which was good as he would have made a lousy trainer and the dogs would have walked all over him.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 12-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I worked at a veterinary hospital where the dogs for the New York State troopers were housed before going to training. I wanted one, and ended up taking in one of the "failed" prospects.
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

From my early years in Police Work (1981 to 2009) (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). Would accompany Police Dog Handler/Team on Criminal Apprehension Tracks and knew then that the GSD was the Breed for me. Finally got my own GSD after I retired from Police Work.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
SDG

Always wanted a dog as a child, but was never allowed one. In retrospect, it was a good thing because my mother would not have allowed a dog to live inside the house and I would have been devastated thinking of my pup outside in the cold. In her later years, my Mom became very attached to my sister's Yorkie, so I know she had an affinity for animals, but it never trumped her desire for a pristine house.

My love for the GSD came, I think, from a dog named Colonel, who was owned by my parent's friends. His claim to fame, aside from being just about perfect in every way, was that he rescued a child who fell into a lake and was drowning. This was a dog that was not raised with children. I remember burying my face in his fur and just wanting to stay there forever. Now, I'm blessed to have my wonderful girl with her incredibly soft, silky black coat to bury my face in all these years later.
Attached Thumbnails
Where does your love for dogs/GSDs come from?-furie15.jpg  

Because when I see a Horse cantering
for the pure joy of it, or a Dog working
with their beloved person, I think to myself,
"Look what God did".
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.