What have you learned about GSDs since you joined the forum? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Default What have you learned about GSDs since you joined the forum?

When I think back to when I first joined the forum, I hardly knew anything about GSDs other that they come in B/T, Solid black, or solid white, and that was about it. Didn't know about different lines, sables, bite-work, nerves, thresholds, the history of the breed, the problems in the breed, the amazing unbelieveable super-human intelligence, desire to please, and willingness to work of the well-bred dogs that are still true to intent of the breed.

I didn't understand bite-work (I mean, why in the world would someone want an "agressive" dog?) , maybe had heard the word "Schutzhund" once in my life prior to being invited to join a local Schutzhund club, and hence me getting more interested in the breed, had never even laid eyes on a pedigree, nor had any interest in anything pure-bred, because a dog is a dog is a dog, right?

Didn't understand the issues that separated good breeders from BYB - prior to getting involved in more advanced training with my mutt and prior to reading about the issues of ethical breeding, I would have just as easily bought a dog out of the newspaper, or from a pet shop, not knowing any better.

Funny looking back how much my attitudes and understandings have changed. Quite the transformation (when I was growing up, I didn't even like dogs!). And much of the change from the last 8 years or so I blame on this forum!

So let's hear it! How has your view and understanding of GSDs and related areas changed since you have been a member of this forum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Like day and night.

Helped expand my knowledge of shutzhund. Helped me discover raw feeding , and all the various types of GSD , breeders and imports, working lines , showlines. What to look for when getting another GSD in the future. I've learned a lot and still learning.

Went from a newbie GSD owner to a confident GSD owner

Also learned there are people out there that live thousands of miles away and they share the same love for this breed.

I will continue to use and participate in this forum for a long time

(Also some of the members on here are awesome and will message you some great answers to your questions)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Bane Vom Vox; 11-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Bane Vom Vox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

when i joined the forum all i knew about GSD's (dogs) was how to
train and socialize them. i didn't know there was blk&reds. i've learned
an i'm continuing to learn so much an i thank all of those that have
taught me.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have had GSDs for over 35 years, but living in a small city in Texas, I had never been exposed to responsible breeding practices. Every person I knew if they wanted a dog just found a newspaper ad or word of mouth and got a pup. I hadn't heard anything about the different German lines as everything pretty much here is just American lines.

I had heard some vague references to Schutzhund but obviously had never seen it in person and even now I think the closest club is probably 2- 2/12 hours away.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've absolutely learned a lot since I joined the forum. I knew a good amount coming in, because I was exposed to Schutzhund and the conformation world (have attended tons of local shows with my dad years ago), and my focus was on police dogs and my local canine unit. I knew all the dogs once upon a time. I also have a strong background (and education) in animal care, so I had that coming in in terms of training, care, behaviour, etc... still learning, of course!

Training Hunter in a variety of things, starting the KW German Shepherd club, starting training clubs, and creating the German Shepherd Guide online was sort of the peak of me feeling like I really was involved and informed on the breed. I feel now, like I have a lot to offer the community, and can begin teaching others now.

So much more to learn... it's never-ending. I am training and soon to be competing in more difficult sports, continuing to learn about pedigrees, influential dogs, west german working bloodlines (my passion). I am so grateful to have such wonderful friends to chat with about the GSD... met so many great people here, this forum (despite it's issues and craziness) is very special to me.

Thank you all for learning and growing with me! <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ive learned about different lines, BYB vs reputable breeders, the many health concerns and new ways to play and train with my gsds. Lucia, you are the one who helped me look at Zoey's issue with not releasing while playing with the flirt pole, that's been a huge help and changed how we engage in other games/playing, I love the "happy prance" she does when she wins.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Thanks Nigel - I have learnt much because of many members who took the time to answer questions and share their knowledge - I try to give a little back. Sometime being an ADMIN is aggravating and frustrating, but in the end, if I can help one person and their dog be happier, it is all worth-while.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've learned how scary smart a working line K9 GSD is.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an interest in k9 health..specifically for our breed. Not my profession at all but I have learned a lot from members here. Those GSD that have passed away & the members who were kind enough to share details I know has saved others dogs lives.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I learned my puppy is a GSD in sable coat.

My crazy puppy was in the "normal" range for a GSD. Not an easy puppy but not deranged either.

The hard crusty spot on my dog's hind legs are just callous.

That was how little I know.
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.