Levels of knowledge for the average pet owner. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Levels of knowledge for the average pet owner.

What level of knowledge about the GSD do you expect a pet owner to have?

I believe I am above average pet owner in the fact that I researched a little bit about the breed. I know the major illnesses that my dog can get, I know the amount of activity my dog needs and I know that there are show lines and working lines. I have other breeds and I know a little bit about them too.

So what else should people know to make them a better pet owner. Now remember this is a pet and people have family and jobs and lots of other stuff in their lives. Many have multiple breeds and mixes of breeds. So realistically how much information and research do you think that an average pet owner needs?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think it's as much about research as it is about being honest with yourself. I think a LOT of working breed pet owners wannabes think "oh, we'll become more active." Or they camp twice a year, but don't really go for walks, or hikes, etc But somehow classify themselves as active people...Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of working breed homes that are really active...but I think most of the time pet owners shrug off the part on EVERY website EVERYWHERE that says "this is a working breed and need lots of exercise and mental stimulation." And just see a fluffy puppy or a "cool" looking adult...I think it's more about selfish wants than anything. Just my .02.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

As much as possible, and always seeking more.

That's not a flippant answer. I do expect that to be true of good owners -- the ones I would be happy to give my fosters to.

As for "average owners," I couldn't say. I tend to interact only with the best and the worst owners, so I really don't have much insight into what "average" might be, beyond that it seems to vary dramatically by region, cultural norms, and so forth.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well... i'm probably a little different, but I learn absolutely as much about everything I choose to engage in... dogs, career choice, how to replace my boat seat cushions, how to make my yard look better etc..
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Knowledge is a very good tool to have, but it is no replacement for experience.

Both go hand in hand.

The only way to get the experience is to own and train the dog(s).

The knowledge can guide you, as can help from more experienced owners/handlers/trainers.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I work in the vet field. I can tell you that the 'average' pet owner does not even come NEAR this forum. They truly, truly believe that Beneful is an exceptional dog food, that flea and HW medication is a luxury, and that a rabies shot and maybe a DHLPP every year is all they'll ever need. They don't clip toenails, they don't even worry about bathing their dogs, and they only seek medical attention for them when whatever is ailing them is already so bad that there's no easy way to control it.

People take a LOT for granted when they're in like-minded communities. We all have a level of aptitude that is well beyond 'average'.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Well... i'm probably a little different, but I learn absolutely as much about everything I choose to engage in... dogs, career choice, how to replace my boat seat cushions, how to make my yard look better etc..

You are a little different and that's not a bad thing! I'm talking average Joe/Jane off the street. Realistically how much can we expect them to know about their pets? I like knowledge myself. I read a lot and know a little about a lot of different things. But I'm no expert. Nor do I feel it necessary for a pet owner to know that the breed was first exhibited in Germany in 1882 or that Max von Stephanitz was the guy who created them.

I just get the feeling at times that a lot is expected of the average pet owner around here so I really want to know where is the line? What are the important things to know about this dog before buying or rescuing one?

The easy things: How much exercise does this dog need?
How much should I feed it?
What health problems should I be aware of and look for?
How big will it get as an adult? (This one can be problematic for the GSD? Cause talking to different people will get you many different answers)

But then what else? Well with the German Shepherd people will need to know that there are different lines. Show and working. and within each of those lines we have American and German. In working it gets even more complicated because there is Czech, DDR, and others heck I don't even know them all. Then we add in the other Shepherds Shilo, King, Dutch, Berger Blanc Suissie and is it any wonder pet people are confused? Then there are Alsatian which are German Shepherds and Malinois which are a different breed entirely.

So where is that line? How much do I need to know before I go buy or rescue a shepherd and where is one place that I can learn all that info before I buy? Well other than here! I have been reading here for about 2 years and I know I've only scratched the surface.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Knowledge is a very good tool to have, but it is no replacement for experience.

Both go hand in hand.

The only way to get the experience is to own and train the dog(s).

The knowledge can guide you, as can help from more experienced owners/handlers/trainers.
knowledge is largely the reward for experience.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I think an average or even below average level of knowledge about the breed is acceptable so long as people don't keep spouting off about things they know *nothing* about as if they are gospel. You can research issues as they arise. Everyone needs to know basic things about owning a large dog like requisite vet care, how to feed it well, grooming, socialization, and proper shelter, but I don't think breed specific knowledge is that important for the average owner beyond just recognizing that it's a large, active, intelligent breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
I work in the vet field. I can tell you that the 'average' pet owner does not even come NEAR this forum. They truly, truly believe that Beneful is an exceptional dog food, that flea and HW medication is a luxury, and that a rabies shot and maybe a DHLPP every year is all they'll ever need. They don't clip toenails, they don't even worry about bathing their dogs, and they only seek medical attention for them when whatever is ailing them is already so bad that there's no easy way to control it.

People take a LOT for granted when they're in like-minded communities. We all have a level of aptitude that is well beyond 'average'.
The girl who answers the phones behind the counter at my vets office feeds her dogs pedigree. So even between vets knowledge varies greatly.

We have different communities, cultures, income levels. We have urban, suburb, and rural.

With so many differences how can a pet owner find the important things to know before getting a GSD and what are those important things?

Cause I'm really at a loss here. We expect people to pick good breeders, good rescues to not go to BYB or Puppy Mills. So where can they get the correct info. But even more importantly what is the correct info? How much do we need to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.