German Shepherds Forum banner

Levels of knowledge for the average pet owner.

19K views 105 replies 37 participants last post by  Stonevintage 
#1 ·
What level of knowledge about the GSD do you expect a pet owner to have?

I believe I am above average pet owner in the fact that I researched a little bit about the breed. I know the major illnesses that my dog can get, I know the amount of activity my dog needs and I know that there are show lines and working lines. I have other breeds and I know a little bit about them too.

So what else should people know to make them a better pet owner. Now remember this is a pet and people have family and jobs and lots of other stuff in their lives. Many have multiple breeds and mixes of breeds. So realistically how much information and research do you think that an average pet owner needs?

#74 ·
Ultimately, I think it's a matter of perspective, sphere of reference and of 'reap what you sow.' Many people get joy from their dogs in different ways and do dog ownership differently. They expect and require different behavior. I think the major problem with the 'average' pet owner is simply they don't know what they don't know.

For example, I know a young man who proudly told me a week ago his family bought a german shepherd puppy. They bought her from a pet store, she has mites and kennel cough. This poor animal is obviously puppy mill bred and will probably develop more severe genetic and behavioral issues as time goes on. They have had GSD before. Apparently you need to watch out for the all black ones, they are crazy, and will jump and bark at your fence all day long like wild animals. Will they be disappointed in their pup? No, I think not. They have no training aspirations and to them, health and behavioral issues are the norm. Just a part of dog ownership. Is that very sad they don't know any better? Perhaps, but ignorance is bliss and they get great joy out of their dogs.

The problem becomes when people are unprepared or have incorrect pre-conceived notions. i.e. they expect a calm, well behaved animal and get a fear aggressive whirlwind who can't settle.

In my experience, dog owners fall into 3 general (read general, obviously there is huge variation) categories, your milage may very.

1) Hard core dog owner who is involved in some sort of sport like agility or SAR and dogs are a major hobby for them. They know a lot about dogs. They are your 'advanced' dog owners whose knowledge of canines--outside of medical/surgical practice--usually surpasses that of their local vets. They could probably teach their own basic obedience classes to your 'average' pet owner and blow them away with their knowledge, even though they are students themselves under the tutelage of experience sport instructors.

2) Your average GOOD dog owner. Has dogs as pets and family members. Takes them on vacation. Does basic training like sit and stay. Keeps them up to date on vet care. Might a) get a dog from a repuatable breeder or b) get a dog from a nice back yard breeder family who doesn't have a huge operation but wanted the kids to see the 'miracle of life' and it's their family dog's pups in the paper, or c) maybe they rescue. Usually says 'my dog is friendly' as fido runs up to great your dog, but that is usually ok because, unless they encounter you, the 'advanced' dog owner, that other dog is also owned by a 'good' owner and they dogs will probably play just fine happily unaware of the the potential risks. They don't care about handler focus or raw feeding. They feed brand food like Eukenuba or maybe Blue Buffalo if they read ingredients lists. They grew up with dogs and just expect eventual health problems to arise or 'imperfect' behavioral flaws that are dealt with and seen as charming quirks. Their dogs are loved, a bit overweight, and have a very happy, good life a family pets.

3) The BAD and/or NAIVE owners. Usually first time owners or serial bad dog owners. Get a dog from a pet store or questionable byb operation. See dogs on tv and are woefully unprepared for the commitment and 'inconvenience' of a puppy/dog. Wanted the dog because it looked cool and like the idea of the dog more than the actual animal. Don't view dogs as family members but as pets only. Do limited to no research regarding dog ownership. Make a half-hearted attempt at potty training and the sit command before loosing interest and can't understand why the dog doesn't just get it. Might keep the dog for it's life and just let it be a nuisance or might dump dog at a shelter to become 'someone else's problem.'

Today, there is less of an excuse of not having knowledge because we have the internet. However, if you don't know the right questions to ask you can still find yourself talking in circles.

For the AVERAGE dog owner who hangs out with other average dog owners, I think they do just fine with their decently behaved fur babies on Science Diet that give slobbery kisses and jump up on (slightly annoyed) company. It's when these dog owners encounter 'advanced' dog owners who have higher requirements of their pets and expectations of behavior that I think friction develops.

No, the 'average' dog person I think is mostly fine. Yes, it would be a huge improvement to move these folks away from byb and into acquiring pets from rescue or decent breeders. Fido plays with Lucky at the dog park and on the family trip to the lake, occasionally barks at squirrels and chews up a pillow and gets an exasperated sigh from mom and dad but hey, that's just what dogs do right? It's the actual bad dog owners who are simply too inconvenienced to do even the basics that are the cause of I would guess the majority of dogs in shelters.

#75 ·
Ultimately, I think it's a matter of perspective, sphere of reference and of 'reap what you sow.' Many people get joy from their dogs in different ways and do dog ownership differently. They expect and require different behavior. I think the major problem with the 'average' pet owner is simply they don't know what they don't know.

For example, I know a young man who proudly told me a week ago his family bought a german shepherd puppy. They bought her from a pet store, she has mites and kennel cough. This poor animal is obviously puppy mill bred and will probably develop more severe genetic and behavioral issues as time goes on. They have had GSD before. Apparently you need to watch out for the all black ones, they are crazy, and will jump and bark at your fence all day long like wild animals. Will they be disappointed in their pup? No, I think not. They have no training aspirations and to them, health and behavioral issues are the norm. Just a part of dog ownership. Is that very sad they don't know any better? Perhaps, but ignorance is bliss and they get great joy out of their dogs.

The problem becomes when people are unprepared or have incorrect pre-conceived notions. i.e. they expect a calm, well behaved animal and get a fear aggressive whirlwind who can't settle.

In my experience, dog owners fall into 3 general (read general, obviously there is huge variation) categories, your milage may very.

1) Hard core dog owner who is involved in some sort of sport like agility or SAR and dogs are a major hobby for them. They know a lot about dogs. They are your 'advanced' dog owners whose knowledge of canines--outside of medical/surgical practice--usually surpasses that of their local vets. They could .

I agree with you while post except this paragraphs. But only for a few reasons, and they are petty, but I am going to say it anyway. SAR is not a hobby or a sport. I get your point. This is just a sticky thing for me.

And I think lots of dog people THINK they know more than their vet, and that can be super dangerous.

#76 ·
I would hand my GSD leashed to a prospective owner. He's be a great yard stick, as can work out if this is someone, who'll be easily led.

I would be watching to see, what the handler tried, when the usual did not work. With no trainer knowledge at all. Just a adult human being, perhaps with parenting of kids skills to bring. Id want to see encouragement, praise, lots of talk, touch, pats, playfulness.

and then id be happy for a conformation line dog to go to that owner. As the rest is not rocket science, and easily learnt, on the job in most cases too.

I would never put a working line dog, of any breed in a non working home, EVER.

#79 ·
I am really not a fan of the working lines, show lines are my thing. But not all working line dogs belong in working homes, just like not all show line dogs belong in show-homes. These dogs can do very well in pet homes. Maybe you would have to be a little descriminating with respect to your lines and the individual dogs and the individual home's activity levels, but one should not think they are getting couch potato when they pick up a GSD puppy.

#81 ·
Your levels of knowledge deepens as with anything else and you learn as you go with experiences,goals, challenges, and mistakes. My first german shepherd was a working line from Belgium. He was 2 years old when we acquired him and he had been trained prior. He had his quirks but was a gentleman always and so calm,well behaved and extremely confident and had solid nerves and extremely disciplined. He was exactly what we wanted and at the right time in our lives. He was very happy just to be part of our family even though he was no ordinary pet.

#82 ·
I have only had two dogs and only my current dog was a shepherd, so certainly not claiming to be an expert, just my two cents. Like others have said, most people make more mistakes with their first dog and then bring that knowledge to bear with the second dog and so on. Education is important but so are other things.

1. The ability to recognize you made a mistake and learn from it. I think probably the lessons that resonate with me the most are the lessons I learned from making mistakes.

2. The ability to be flexible and recognize that you cannot necessarily use the same approach with every dog. What works for one may not work for another.

3. The ability to recognize it if you reach a point where you need help and are not too ashamed or embarrassed to reach out for it.

4. The ability to commit-With both of my dogs, I asked a lot of questions beforehand but when we took them home, it was for life, either mine or theirs. There was no "Well, we'll just see how it works out" or "I'll keep them until the first time they misbehave or get sick and then you can come and get them." Now, we all know that sometimes unforeseen things happen and people have to rehome a dog because of circumstances beyond their control. It could happen to any one of us. But I think people need to go into it at the start with a commitment that it's for the long haul. If you are already giving yourself an out before the dog is even loaded in the car, your heart's not it and it's probably not going to end well.

#83 · (Edited)
Well three years and no one has every done this yet??:

Stop procrastinating! Use the Premack principle*/* Getting Stronger

I'll have to add that to my endless list of stuff to review!

My experience with a WL dog as a family pet?? If a potential GSD owner has no idea what a WL dog is best advice is to just say "NO!"

I was that "no idea" pet owner! Foster turned owner my OS, WL, GSD was just a furry dog with a funny face...yeah not so much!

I had more than a decade of experience with Boxer/APBT, BULLMASTIFF/APBT/LAB and Boxers all well-trained family pets! So a WL GSD no big deal??

I got a lot of things right based on experience but a few things wrong based on GSD's! My guy managed to find my weak points! And he laid low for seven months before doing "the old my dog changed thing on me???"

Lesson number one... "two dogs are a pair, three dogs are a pack!"
Lesson number two... "uh what's rank drive???"
Lesson number three... "uh what's human aggression??"
Lesson number four ... "structured walks are important!"

It was time to put this into practice:

And we got it done! It was ultimately ...not that big a deal! But I don't recommend GSD's to the clueless myself! I have no idea about the SL dogs myself?? So my policy is unless I am talking with an experienced "successful" GSD owner??

My advice is to just say no or if pressed... get a "Shilo or a King!" They look like a GSD but are not! If they don't know what that means...then it's good advice!

Still GSD are number three on the popular breeds list...so what do I know???

But for me my next GSD will also be a WL dog or maybe a Mal or a Mal/GSD cross?? Despite my "problems" they are very awesume dogs!! So I'm a fan! :)

#86 ·
Realistically? I don't expect the average pet owner to know much. Some people love being willfully ignorant.

But, at the same time, I think it's beyond lazy and irresponsible NOT to do at least some very basic research into ANY pet. To me, that's just common sense.

It isn't always easy to know where to look, what sources to trust, etc. but busy lives or not, a good chunk of this planet has access to that information in one form or another, and if you can't take say, an hour or two to do some basic research, then frankly, you shouldn't get a pet.

If you're not going to take the time to learn a little bit about the animal you're getting, then what's the point of getting one at all?

#90 ·
yes they are, never ending on CL and the rehoming fb pages.

#92 ·
But, the American Stratfordshire Terrier is a recognized breed. This is what I owned. There is a history and precautions to be taken with this breed. These could be applied across the board on "certain types" of dogs to prevent or "anticipate" the social interaction problems that can be anticipated, particularly with other dogs. As another poster commented on a thread that was shut down, one of the primary distinctions of a good breed representative is a drive to fight (that is one of the reasons these breeds are in this mess - IMO).

Breeders are looking for these drives because that's what people want and that's what the breeds are all about. If wants changes and the public approached a breeders of one of these types of dogs and said "gee - I like the tough look and what he represents, but I want one as gentle as a lap dog, so my baby would never hurt anything" What reaction do you think you will get and what "market" would that support? sales would go flat as a pancake. IMO every adopter/purchaser of this type of dog in the last 20 years is wanting an image or ignorant. They certainly can't be ignorant at this point.

#94 ·
A dear friend of mine had his teen daughter's face mauled and disfigured just a couple of years ago. Another friend had his toddler mauled to death by a friend's pet Pit Bulls. Both of them had "heard" of the Pit Bull's reputation but never had a reason prior to their incidences to really mull over what that reputation really meant. They learned the hard way. I keep slipping up when speaking to both of them saying there is no excuse not to know the capabilities of fighting breeds. There is no reason for people, children and pets to be mauled or killed in the inordinate numbers that we see today. They both are quick to stop me and impress upon me that they "knew" but did not know. More needs to be done.

#95 ·
I consider myself a very average type of pet owner, other than the fact that I rescue abused dogs. I do research on whatever bred I have rescued, but most of the time go with my gut on what would work best for each individual dog.

I don't think I'm necessarily good at training, and have a trainer coming weekly to work with my current rescue (a GSD), but I am good at making them feel safe, comfortable, and loved. I still need help, I still have questions, but I love to learn, so this forum has been a slice of heaven for me.

As an average pet owner, I know GSD's take more time, training, patience, and a bit of the owners being slightly crazy (insert eyebrow wiggle here), than a lot of other breeds. I know they are one of the most loving and loyal breeds when trained and bonded properly. And I also know, of all the breeds I have rescued over the years, they are the ones that truly captured my heart, and I will likely never keep another breed. It will be rescue, rehab, and rehome for the other breeds, if I ever decide to continue on the rescue route after Lyka passes.

#97 ·
And...just to be anal there is no such thing as a "Pitt Bull" American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, yes but Pitt Bulls no!

The term refers to any Bully "type" Breed with a bully type build, usually stocky and powerful and typically not to fond of other dogs, without owner intervention!

Human aggression is "not" a breed characteristic! People do that! It's not the dogs fault that they are a "fool magnetic!" Just saying. :)

#98 ·
The American "Pit Bull" Terrier is the only breed with pit bull in its name, used first to bait bulls, then later to fight and kill rats in a pit and then later dogs, hence the name Pit Bull.

Joe Lucero, Diane Jessup, Cesar Milan, and many other Pit Bull authorities, breeders and experts will concur that a Pit Bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier, so will many rescues. Pitbull or pit bull types are a new term coined by the media in reporting in only the last couple of decades. :)

#103 ·
I have had numerous shepherds. They have different traits. There are similarities in traits but in the end each dog to me is different.

Taking that, as I said I've had numerous shepherds. All of them were different but the same in some aspects but they were dogs to me and they got the "standard" pet treatment. With the exception of my last two GSD's. Our late GSD was an inside dog but still had mostly standard treatment. He didn't have strong WL traits even though active. But we loved him. Our current GSD Cruz to say was an eye opener for us. WL dog lines in him show dominantly. This forced us to look deeper into knowledge of the WL breed of GSD. He showed similar characteristics my other GSD's did but much stronger and it took us by surprise really to the point we had to get help with training. He is a highly driven dog. This training also pointed us to something we never considered and that was nutrition. There is more knowledge to be learned there. I think your level of knowledge with WL dogs has to be higher as they are driven and very smart. Not to say SL dogs are not smart, they are. The difference is in WL dogs force you to acknowledge those traits more than maybe a SL dog would. It forces you to be creative with your training. Constantly challenging. Driving you to learn.

Just my take. I leave the medical stuff up to the vet. I do watch for visual cues that something may be off, or treat his allergies when they crop up. But leave the deeper medical stuff to the vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.