German Shepherds Forum banner

How Much Value Does Your Dogs Have?

79K views 71 replies 63 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
I want to know how the common person values their dog, and in what amount.

I don't understand why people are willing to breed, work, showcase, compete, or acquire any animal without having some personal love/dependence connection outside of money.

And then turn around and abandon the animal when they are 'finished' reaping the benefits of their canines, without giving any of the same expectations in return.

Me, personally, I view my dogs as my personal kids, while respecting that they are animals first, dogs second, breeds third, and name last while maintaining the co dependence of guardian and companion.

How do you view/value your dog, and why?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Ive heard of offers of 30 000 for a good sport dog. My Apache seems to be great, shes high drive yet still settles in the house and has shown zero aggression to any person or dog unless they are in a helper suit and she hasnt failed at anything shes been put through. I was told by a local trainer/guy who runs a shutz club and akc trials that he wanted her and shes a once in a lifetime dog? I wont sell her.

#3 ·
My dogs are a part of my family. We have, I'd say, a micro-zoo, and the dogs are one step down from people (sorry Mr. Turtle). I do not see them as children/kids... I guess I would say I see them as friends. I play with them, talk to them, work with them... we celebrate their birthdays, hang their stockings at Christmas, and include them in family gatherings. I wouldn't have it any other way. Have you ever had a best friend that you considered to be family? That's how I'd sum it up. And I can't put a numerical value on something like that.

#6 ·
I really think in truth it all come down to price, how much money would it take for you to consider giving up your dog to another person.

Personally, I honestly know my dogs are priceless to me, you could offer me $1,000,000 or more and I would smile but the leash would be staying in my hand ;)

#27 ·
What a great thing to think about. Ya, she is my dog- which means a lot more to me than the average person, as she is my life.
She is the most stressful thing i've ever had and he most expensive, but also the most real and the most life fulling thing that has happened to my life.
My life would be easier without her.. it really would.. But i cannot imagine my life without her- it feels empty, useless, and unlivable. (She has to die at some point, i'm already trying to prepare myself, its going to be SO HARD, but i hope that i will remember the moments we had, since dogs live in the moment, i hope she will have had more good than bad moments- and that i was the best i could be for her)
I was thinking about what Shade said, and that would be awfully tempting.. As i could save hundreds of dogs with that money, literally. However, i would be selfish. I really don't think i could do it!
They can however, try and pry her from my cold dead fingers- as they say. lol

I really think in truth it all come down to price, how much money would it take for you to consider giving up your dog to another person.

Personally, I honestly know my dogs are priceless to me, you could offer me $1,000,000 or more and I would smile but the leash would be staying in my hand ;)

#7 ·
You couldn't pay me enough. I've threatened to give them all away in moments of stress or frustration but anyone who knows me knows I would never actually do it. They are part of my family, I don't view them as children but they are certainly not disposable or for sale and they hold my heart as much as any human I love.

#8 ·
Thank goodness this isn't about cats! I'd give them away for free! Just kidding! :laugh:

There isn't enough money in the world to convince me to part with Sinister. He is the love of my life, I would do anything for him. :wub:

I just love my little Draco, he's wiggled his way into my heart, giving him up isn't an option. :wub:

#9 ·
Life brings us a lot twist and turns and one never knows where life will lead you next, but My fur babies are my kiddos. I have been through some tough times and also some great times and no matter what they are always there with nothing but love, Cant put a price tag on that. I could not imagine life without them in it.

#10 ·
Rai Li my old man dog (almost 14 y.o. shih tzu). I would seriously never ever sell .. ever. Not for a billion dollars. Some days, I would GIVE my puppy away ... like today when he had to be put away in shame for trying to play with the cat.

#11 ·
I agree, you couldn't put a price tag on my boys. I def feel that they are family, but I feel them on an 'energetic' level and have a natural thing for feeling how they feel- which of course makes it easier for me to understand to a degree. I couldn't view them as 'family friends' per say, they've saved my life so many times, and give me love that my own relatives and family wouldn't. So maybe my weird super attached mother bear mentality isn't for everyone, buttttt I love it. It completes me :)

#14 · (Edited)
I don't think it has to be so extreme. I have "show" friends, "sport" friends, and friends that just have pets, some of them keep all their dogs, some of them rehome them after they are retired from show, or rehome a dog that isn't going to "make the cut" in show or sport....rehoming a retired dog or a dog that isn't cutting it isn't bad at all in my eyes...they aren't doing it with fire in their eyes, cursing the day the dog was born...they are just in a business or sport...can't/won't keep over a certain amount of dogs, and if they kept every single one they tried to show/use in sport until the day it died (we're talking a decade or more per dog)...they may not be able to get super far because they only want 2 or 3 dogs at a time...NOT a big deal to me...now, if they are euthanizing an animal or going through dog after dog after dog...that's something completely different. But, rehoming a dog isn't horrible....and I understand it in a lot of situations. I don't think it has to be as dramatic as you are making it, nor do I think they are as flippant about it as you are making it seem....and I don't think most of the shelters are full of sport/show dogs that didn't make the cut...there is a completely different "culture" or group of people that are the cause of that.

Yes, there is a value for my dog. I actually agree with Blitz...it's pretty high, because I love him to pieces, but if I knew he was going to a good home, and someone offered to pay for my child's college to take him....I'd consider that lol....still haven't gotten that "one in a million" dog yet...but I also don't get super duper emotionally attached to my dogs...I think I just know too much about biology/animal behavior/genetics/the reason they mentally do what they do....and I know I can be easily replaced to them with someone else who feeds and cares for them.

I also have a child...and the love I have for my child is just incomparable to that for my dog...BUT, I had a dog before my child...and it made me sick to imagine life without the dog, the dog filled the place of "child" in my heart...that's why my heart completely understands people who don't have children saying their dog is like their child...I believe it is whole heartedly...

After a child, everything else (to me) was second in love to him....if that makes sense lol....I am not trying to say I don't love my dogs..but it is not...will not...ever be comparable to that of my son.

Edit: Just wanted to add...I am NOT saying people need to love or feel about their dogs the same way I do...I just think it's ridiculous to say, "I never understand how people could give away a dog if it isn't working out for them..." show, sport...etc...and judge those who do as thoughtless or wrong....most people I know who gave up a potential sport dog or show dog were pain-stackingly thorough in finding a home for it, and always checked up on how it was doing....they didn't just throw it to the pound(I've worked in lots of shelters....VERY rarely did we get show/sport dogs from owners that said they couldn't make the cut...I cannot think of a single example....I also don't think it's wrong for people to look at their pets as pieces of property that they feed/care for....as long as no abuse (starving/beating/leaving exposed to dangerous elements etc) is happening, whatever.

#21 ·
having a dog/dogs for business is different than having a dog
for a pet/companion.

>>>>>> I don't think it has to be so extreme. I have "show" friends, "sport" friends, and friends that just have pets, some of them keep all their dogs, some of them rehome them after they are retired from show, or rehome a dog that isn't going to "make the cut" in show or sport....rehoming a retired dog or a dog that isn't cutting it isn't bad at all in my eyes...they aren't doing it with fire in their eyes, cursing the day the dog was born...they are just in a business or sport...can't/won't keep over a certain amount of dogs, and if they kept every single one they tried to show/use in sport until the day it died (we're talking a decade or more per dog)...they may not be able to get super far because they only want 2 or 3 dogs at a time...NOT a big deal to me...now, if they are euthanizing an animal or going through dog after dog after dog...that's something completely different. But, rehoming a dog isn't horrible....and I understand it in a lot of situations. I don't think it has to be as dramatic as you are making it, nor do I think they are as flippant about it as you are making it seem....and I don't think most of the shelters are full of sport/show dogs that didn't make the cut...there is a completely different "culture" or group of people that are the cause of that.<<<<<<

Yes, there is a value for my dog. I actually agree with Blitz...it's pretty high, because I love him to pieces, but if I knew he was going to a good home, and someone offered to pay for my child's college to take him....I'd consider that lol....still haven't gotten that "one in a million" dog yet...but I also don't get super duper emotionally attached to my dogs...I think I just know too much about biology/animal behavior/genetics/the reason they mentally do what they do....and I know I can be easily replaced to them with someone else who feeds and cares for them.

I also have a child...and the love I have for my child is just incomparable to that for my dog...BUT, I had a dog before my child...and it made me sick to imagine life without the dog, the dog filled the place of "child" in my heart...that's why my heart completely understands people who don't have children saying their dog is like their child...I believe it is whole heartedly...

After a child, everything else (to me) was second in love to him....if that makes sense lol....I am not trying to say I don't love my dogs..but it is not...will not...ever be comparable to that of my son.

Edit: Just wanted to add...I am NOT saying people need to love or feel about their dogs the same way I do...I just think it's ridiculous to say, "I never understand how people could give away a dog if it isn't working out for them..." show, sport...etc...and judge those who do as thoughtless or wrong....most people I know who gave up a potential sport dog or show dog were pain-stackingly thorough in finding a home for it, and always checked up on how it was doing....they didn't just throw it to the pound(I've worked in lots of shelters....VERY rarely did we get show/sport dogs from owners that said they couldn't make the cut...I cannot think of a single example....I also don't think it's wrong for people to look at their pets as pieces of property that they feed/care for....as long as no abuse (starving/beating/leaving exposed to dangerous elements etc) is happening, whatever.

#15 · (Edited)
As to the idea of a dollar amount being attached to the dog...why not?? Some people want an older, trained, dog....and some people can give them that while also being able to compete in competitions with the dog while it is of age/physical state to do that, or they took the dog as far as it's going to be able to go in that particular venue (ie: it just isn't "good" enough to progress further)....it seems to work out for both parties...why do you care so much? The reason I ask this in this tone is because you didn't simply ask "just curious, what value do you attach to your dog?" Instead you asked the question, but riddled it with judgemental statements and tones in regards to people who ---gasp---would sell a dog that they cannot compete with any longer, for whatever reason....if it's a dog that even has basic-reliable obedience on it, why not get some profit for the time/effort/money etc...that someone put into that dog. You aren't talking about nutcase, out-of-control dogs, you are talking about at the VERY least, minimally trained, obedient dogs.....and I would expect to pay something more for a dog that came trained....

And it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I am sure most people who are the "seller" in these situations care about the dog and it's well being.....they just don't have the same perspective on a dog as you may......you make it seem like either you keep the dog forever or you don't have a connection or care about the dog.....I just think that's a little silly.:shrug:

#16 ·
if someone is offering a substantial amount for a dog then it is either going to a good home or going to be put to good use. if the police department wanted 10 grand for my dog i'd sell him in a heartbeat and be proud to do it! i might even give him away. as long as i know my dog is living a good life or doing something good i'd have no problem letting them go.

#17 ·
All my pets are priceless. There is no amount of money that could get me to part with them EVER. They are right up there with my human family and anyone that knows me knows and respects it.

#19 ·
No amount of money in the world would I be willing to give up my guy. He's not a dollar amount or an item that can be sold. He's family and I know our time together is limited. How could someone put a price on that?

I can understand breeders/trainers having a different outlook on this. Not for a family pet though. Selling it would be pretty messed up.

#20 ·
I couldn't sell any of my dogs, nor put a price tag on them they are priceless to me.

I don't have a problem with breeders selling/rehoming dogs they can't keep them all:)

#22 ·

For me, there is no "price value" I can or would put on my dog. I reguard them or him as a best friend, and the value is not in money but in respect and bond (this would be love to some). My dog is my partner between him and my wife, kids and relatives. I hold any dog with me in high reguards. So to me, the only money value there is in my dog or any dog with me is the price I have given in a step to obtain them. No more no less.

#24 ·
I used to have this question until I met a lot of "sport, show, and even breeder" people. The thing you have to realize about them is that their passion is generally the showing or trialing and not the actual dog. They understand enough to know that they can get another dog and successfully do that with them. At the same time...generally those dogs go to great homes to continue doing what they do best, or in the sense of retired dogs, they go to very loving homes where people have way more time for them.

Think of it this way...most of those types of people will always have a dog they're training to do X. A show dog takes a lot of time/money. To train a Schutzhund dog takes just as much if not more. So you're going to be spending all your time and energy on that one dog...and not really have time for the other retired dog. It's not very fair for that dog is it? Those that sell younger dogs...sometimes its just smart financially. I know a breeder that got a 5 figure offer for a 2 year old dog. She already had his lines, she could probably produce another dog that's very close to that one, and at the end of the day the 5 figures would help her operation a lot more than that single male.

As far as personally...I think I would only be able to sell my dog to the local police department, and then probably make sure I get him back when he's retired.

#25 ·
My dog has a purpose, if he/she cannot fulfill that purpose its not going to work out. If I just wanted a pet I would go to the local shelter. Its hard to find a good dog (or it has been for me) they have value and there is nothing wrong with that.

If the dog has given me good years of service and is to old/injured to continue to fulfill the purpose for which she was obtained thats a different story. I will honor that service and loyalty till the day she dies.

#26 ·
I guess I am the nut in this bunch. I do not show or train my dogs in anything but good manners and do not exhibit them or show them anywhere. As far as value they are priceless and cannot be replaced with all the gold in the world. Each one of my pets over the last 40 years has lived a long healthy, leisurely life and has had the best food, housing and medical treatment money can buy. I have spent more than I care to admit, but each one of them was absolutely unique and irreplaceable once they settled into there new home. If I ever get to the point where I question the cost then I don't need to have a pet any longer. GSD's are by far much smarter and more creative than any other breed I have had and they present me with new opportunities to interact with them every day. So my girls are living Master Card Moments every day, they are priceless.

Wheelchair Bob

#30 ·
I bred specifically for the my pup.. I was there at his birth.. I selected him to be raised with my family..(..one of my kids is almost the same age as Kaiser.) I have trained him to a high level of off-leash obedience, done some protection work, tracking, and he plays a psychotic game of fetch.
I haven't gotten any exceptional offers but comparing his temperament, work ethic and training he could easily compared with dogs worth thousands of dollars. That said, .. there is no way that I could in my conscious sane mind take a monetary amount in compensation for Kaiser.
Now I have heard of some tragic cases where people had to part with their beloved family member to pay bills for the financial well-being of their family. Yes my family and their well-being comes first. but selling this guy for empty profit is not a consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.