German Shepherds Forum banner

How Much Value Does Your Dogs Have?

79K views 71 replies 63 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
I want to know how the common person values their dog, and in what amount.

I don't understand why people are willing to breed, work, showcase, compete, or acquire any animal without having some personal love/dependence connection outside of money.

And then turn around and abandon the animal when they are 'finished' reaping the benefits of their canines, without giving any of the same expectations in return.

Me, personally, I view my dogs as my personal kids, while respecting that they are animals first, dogs second, breeds third, and name last while maintaining the co dependence of guardian and companion.

How do you view/value your dog, and why?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#60 ·
I spent over a thousand on my 10 year old Husky Rex when he was passing away just so he could be comfortable for the last little bit of his life. I would have spent anything to cure him if it were possible. I've only had my shepherd puppy Bear for about 2 weeks now, but I knew from the moment the breeder placed him in my arms that I would do anything to keep him safe, money never being a limitation.

#63 ·
For 'my dogs' there is no amount that would force me to sell em.

How much would i fork out for my dog in one sitting? The largest ive coughed up to date is $4k for a ACL repair. The repair lasted 7 weeks, and broke again. The repayments on my bank loan went for 2yrs. I learnt a LOT from this experience i can tell you. My dog is now in constant pain and retired. But has good quality of retired life. When that pain gets too much, will i pay for a second op, no way!
Would i pay for chemo, no, but that's coz i wouldnt put a dog through chemo. So its not about price, its about ethical decision making for my dogs i guess.

#65 ·
Love my older labby an my youngster gsd, and my cats, they are my world, and my family. My "furkids" even, I never wanted kids, I see myself as their mum. Obviously I know they are animals we have rules boundaries, training, an we do agility an tricks (in the back yard you know like just for fun) but no amount of money would make my love for them and my protectiveness towards them as part of our family waver, they are priceless.
But I also believe wholeheartedly that some are in it to better the breed, an I respect them for it.
Although when it comes to showing, and competetive agility etc, I don't really understand why they don't retire them an keep them coz that feels to me like using them, then throwing them away once they've served their purpose. To me that's just cold. But that's just my opinion

#67 ·
I admit, I would give her up for a vast amount of money, but ONLY if the person(s) taking her would look after her the rest of her life, provide her with proper care (and more), etc.

If someone could provide an even better life for her, and in exchange I'd have plenty of money to provide a good life for my family then yes, I'd do it.

That probably makes me sound like a complete and utter ass, but sadly, money makes the world go round. As much as I love my pets, the most important thing to me is making sure they're well cared for.

#68 ·
My dogs are priceless to me. I do quite a lot of rescue work, taking in dogs from shelters and off the streets and finding them homes. I have managed to find a way to not get too attached to the ones who won't be staying. If I had to get rid of one of my dogs, I could not pick one that I love less than the others. I could not put a price on any of their heads. They are my family, every single one of them. I have human children, and while my love for the dogs is definitely very different than the love I have for my kids, it is absolutely comparable in depth.

My kids and my dogs are my life. Everything revolves around them, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

...my kids do get a little mad when I accidentally correct them in dog language. A snapped finger and warning "waiiiiit!" isn't as effective on a teenager as it is on an elderly lab. LOL

#69 ·
Sounds like an insurance company. I paid $75 for my GSD mix pup and $225 for my registered APBT but neither are for sale for any price, and mean the world to me, so their value is immeasurable. As many here would agree about their own family, I mean dogs.

#70 ·
I've always considered my dogs a member of my family. No amount of money in the world could replace the bond that I have with them.

#72 ·
My dog is my companion, as well as a show dog. His worth as a show quality young adult with both majors is probably a tidy chunk of change. However, I would not sell him for that amount. His value to me is far more than financial.

I can't answer the question, as I don't know what the average person does or thinks. I've always been a crazy dog lady.

I have retired dogs after showing and breeding, but not because they have no value to me. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I give them their own home to be treasured in, and I keep in touch for life. Some, like my Zoom and my Quest, will never leave. Just depends on the dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.