Taking your dogs everywhere - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Taking your dogs everywhere

As I get ready to bring kaiser to a summer kick off festival at the waterfront, full of food, music, goodies to buy, and tons of people, it reinforces my friends' opinion that I'm a crazy dog person and can't go anywhere without at least one of my furbabies.

Now, I'm not complaining. I love being a crazy dog person. Heck, I'm all for well trained, well adjusted and socialized dogs. Yes kaiser has some funky aggression thing going on with male dogs right now... but even in crowds like the one we will be in today I can succesfully manage the response and take every opportunity to train when possible. Hes actually improving too.

At any rate, it got me wondering. At what point are we going overboard with our dogs? Is there a point? Yes, continued training is always essential, but do we REALLY need to take the dogs every where they are allowed? We go to home depot and lowes just because. We find dog friendly restaurants. We go to the farmers market. Etc etc etc.

Is there a line where enough is enough?

I've discovered that I find great joy in showing off Kaiser. Its not just being able to be out and about but its that we can be advocates for the breed.

Maybe in my case, since i dont have many dog activities at my fingertips, I'm finding ways to compensate.

What about you? What do you think?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I love taking Lucca everywhere he is allowed to go. I look for reasons to go to Home Depot and I started buying dog food from Big R for no other reason than I can bring Luc with me (I used to order online as it's cheaper). I can't wait for the summer activities I'll be able to bring him to- farmer's market, monthly street festivals, rodeo week events, county fair, not to mention hiking, fishing & road trips. I just feel more comfortable & at ease with a dog by my side and I have always wanted a dog that I can take anyplace. Sadly my rescue mutt has never really enjoyed "town activities"- she hates crowds and people.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it depends. I actively seek out dog friendly places for new experiences; Finn was born up north and we had no beaches. When we moved, I actively sought a dog friendly beach for the experience.

I also think it depends on the dog. Cheyenne never met an animal or human she didn't like, so taking her out to various places for "socialization" wasn't needed. For her, it would just have been another place to get people to love on her. For Finn as a SAR dog, he needs to be comfortable around many different types of people, so we take advantage of every socialization opportunity we can.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Off topic but I see people saying their GSD's are allowed at Home Depot or Lowes?? Is that just dependent on where you live. They aren't allowed in my local HD or Lowes. Wish they were....
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs go pretty much everywhere with me... anywhere I can take them, I do. I even brought them to work when I was at my old place of employment. Now I can't but would if I could.

elisabeth_00117 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
Off topic but I see people saying their GSD's are allowed at Home Depot or Lowes?? Is that just dependent on where you live. They aren't allowed in my local HD or Lowes. Wish they were....
They aren't allowed in mine either.
I got pretty jealous when I read that.

On Topic:
I am cautious right now about taking Mia (8 months) public, indoor places because she's suddenly turned into submissive pee'er. We're trying to get that under control and work on her excitement level around new people before we take her in places.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For us the bottom line is that we love spending time with our dogs. I know that people in our lives think we go are "extreme" dog owners because our lives pretty much revolve around our dogs much like most people's lives center on their children. We don't feel like we have to take our dogs everywhere with us and we aren't interested in showing them off, we simply want to be with them because it makes us happy.

So to answer the question, I don't think there is a point where a person goes overboard with their dogs. As long as they aren't breaking any laws or hurting anyone, its their choice.

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
Mac's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I take Tess a lot of places with me....but, I don't understand taking dogs to places like a street art fair, or other places with a lot of blacktop. The crowds are usually heavy, it's probably hot,and I just don't see why a dog would enjoy it. I guess before I take Tess anywhere I think about what she'll get out of it, not just that I like having her with me. I don't like being in crowded places with a lot of dogs, there are too many irresponsible owners that take poorly trained dogs in public. (I also never took my kids to similar places when they were to young to enjoy it..)
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I try to take Gypsy out as much as possible, so long as it isn't going to be overwhelming for her. She sometimes goes with me to work and sleeps on the lab floor. I have mixed feelings about taking her downtown. On the one hand, she enjoys the walking and the outdoor dining. On the other hand, if there are other dogs around she gets reactive and starts barking her head off. She goes from zero to 100 in two seconds. I haven't figured out yet how to handle this and I wonder if it is unacceptable to take a dog in public if there is a 10% chance she will suddenly become a noisy jerk!

Most people love her, though, and she likes being pet by all types. She gets biscuits whenever we go to the bank or the feed store and is completely well-behaved.

I think dogs should get to experience as much of life as possible without over stimulating them. The backyard and the living room comprise such a tiny slice of reality, and I think most dogs thrive from having to mentally process novel situations.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used to take my dog everywhere with me until I realized that some of the time I was doing it for me and it was actually boring, hot or stressful for my dog. Now I really think about it and sometimes I take Rafi and sometimes I leave him home.

For example, I could have taken my dog to the farmer's market this morning but I didn't because it was hot and humid and it is packed full of people and dogs and I also needed to go to the grocery store (and couldn't leave him in the truck in this weather).

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.