German Shepherds Forum banner

How Did You Come Up With Your Dog(s) Name?

201K views 684 replies 565 participants last post by  krodriguez 
#1 ·
I came up with Remington after relentlessly checking "german shepherd dog names" "baby names" and all sorts of sites. I had a list of like 30 names that (ex) BF axed all of them. I wanted Remy as a sort of "protection" dog-not attack or be mean dog, but since I was home alone a lot, just something to make me feel secure. Remington, being a gun brand, I thought- how funny would it be if I could say I have my own Remington protection ;)

Now, almost every time I am asked what her name is, and I say 'Remington,' almost every one has the same reply... "LIKE THE GUN?!" hehe. I didn't name her specifically after the gun, but I always say, "yes, like the gun." :rolleyes:

How did you come up with your beloved fur-child's name?

#2 ·
Lisl is named after the Countess Lisl von Schlaf from the James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only.

A lot of women think she is named after von Trapp's eldest daughter Liesl from The Sound of Music.

Different spelling.

#3 ·
Finnian was just a good Irish name as his AKC name is Finnian the Irish Lad.

Cheyenne came from being born in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

#4 ·
Cheyenne, just because we liked the name.

Panzer, after the "german tank" reference. And Panzer's registered name is Faegen, which means Joy! :)

#8 ·
Diesel was named after my favorite perfume lol and she was mostly black so that too... Penny was named after Penny off of the show the Big Bang Theory as that character is sooo adorable so I named my puppy after her :) I will be getting a male either in the summer or in the fall and I will be naming him either Leonard or Sheldon (also characters from the show ) :)

Reactions: das1
#9 ·
The last dog I named was Linus in 1985, Oh yes and Oscar in 1988-- my kids naimed Rainbow, my daughter named Toby for a T litter, I had a list and picked Cyra from a C litter list - Grim and Beau already had their names.

Way back Arlo was named for Arlo Guthrie and Waggles from a book I read in grade school called Waggles and the Dog Catcher. I named Linus for Linus Pauling, and Oscar becase I just liked the name.

#13 ·
Miss Mattie Lynn was renamed when she limped out of her kennel the humane society had set up at a rescue point, and into my arms. Her long fur was so dreadlocked and matted up that her hind leg was practically "sewn" to her body. It was shameful. We fixed it. :D

Jack came from the same rescue efforts, but a day later. He was one of the last to be chosen, and looked really scrawny and plain, and no-one was interested in him. He had no microchip and no collar, so the rescuers were calling him no-chip-no-collar. I had to work late that day, so I was one of the last foster parents to arrive. I figured, he's a foster so no matter that he's a plain Jane. He just needs my help. So I took him home and called him plain ole Jack. It was the simplest thing I could come up with.

Love it now, because Jack and Lil' (Lillian, my weimaraner), are the bestest of buds and it rolls off the tongue, Jack and Lil'...like Jack and Jill.

Both "fosters" stayed with me and are forever mine. Jack is truly my heart dog. He came to me missing half of his ear so I tease him sometimes, and call him my One-Eared Jack o' Hearts! :rolleyes:

P.S. When the dogs' seizure was overturned by the courts a few months later, I drove to the kennel and negotiate their purchase. The breeders recognized them instantly and called them by their given names, to which Neither one responded. Mattie just turned right around and jumped back up into my truck. Love my rescues!

Reactions: das1
#16 ·
Kaos (Maxwell smart spelling) and Havoc for a new GSD puppy coming shortly because I think they fit a German Shepherd perfectly.....

#23 ·
Cheyenne, just because we liked the name.

Panzer, after the "german tank" reference. And Panzer's registered name is Faegen, which means Joy! :)
Finnian was just a good Irish name as his AKC name is Finnian the Irish Lad.

Cheyenne came from being born in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Love Havoc and Kaos! Very Fitting :)

And I soooo wanted to name my girl Cheyenne..but that was immediately shot down :(

#17 ·
Bear is named after my favorite football team, The Chicago Bears and it was also one of the only names that all of the family members could agree upon.
He was also almost named, Wrigley and Roscoe (all Chicago references) :)

#21 ·
Before I got Ollie I was all set to name him Dean because I'm a huge Supernatural fan and my golden is named Sam.

But I'm also really into British humor and anything having to do with the UK and its my dream someday to move to England. So I listen to these English guys(most of you here would probably have no clue who they are unless you're a huge nerd too so I won't explain lol). Anyways one of them had a dog named Ollie and I feel in love with the name.

When I went to pick Ollie up from the breeder I still hadn't really settled on a name but on the way home the name Ollie popped into my head and it seemed to fit him more then Dean. Even though I know it's less noble and manly.. :p

#22 ·
I name alot of dogs....I like predator names.....especially big cats, and do play on the spelling of them....

When I was naming my C litter - I had not picked out anything for Csabre yet...I had the litter out at the equine clinic and my friend Jack, the vet - who had a second practice in Cairo Egypt (I got to go to be a tech on surgery and help out in general!) and who had shown Arab horses as a kid - looked at her and said ....'Name this one Shetan" Arabic for devil - and Walter Farley's Black Stallion's name....I said - can't - it is a C litter - He laughed and said "So - put a C in front of the S!" I thought about that and decided she was Csabre! I also like to use a traditional German name in a litter, no people or real common names, and if there is one that can relate to Egypt, that too...have had Giza, Cairo and Kairo....LOL my Bengal cat is also Giza....I get stuck on the ones I like!!!

Lee

#24 ·
All my animals have a Disney theme. Koda from Brother Bear, Zazu from the Lion King, Jasmine from Aladdin, and Delgado from Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Loker was because he was from a L litter, he's my favourite character in Lie to Me

#33 ·
I do the same and include other cartoon characters as well.

Tuke is named after the moose from Brother Bear, Rutt & Tuke. My wife gave Zoey her name, otherwise, I would have called her Rutt. I get asked wether she is a boy or a girl often. I've noticed some of the others posting have "boy" names for their females, the wife doesn't like it. My malamute was named Wile e after the coyote.

#25 ·
Salem is named after Salem, MA. I went there and fell in love with the town!

Also, it's fitting because he's pure black.

#27 ·
Maya from a dog movie i watched a loong time ago
Mel ( ok it´s the cat but it´s stil a name) because of her honey colourd eyes and mel means honey
Castiel from a 1 hr long arguement at the vet´s about names, one of the vets said that name, I liked it and he walked out of there with it

#28 ·
Zeke, I honestly don't know. I love Z names, Z is my favorite letter. But oddly enough, all growing up, for 10+ years, I wanted a german shepherd named Captain. When I FINALLY got my first german shepherd, Zeke just popped into my head :)

Luther - my ex named him after a german shepherd my sister had named Luther. Means warrior in old german. I love that name.

As for my new puppy, who arrives in 12 days (YAY), no name picked yet.

Because it's a B litter, registered name will either be Bohuslav (only B czech name or german name I liked) or Berlin (saw it in a B litter from another breeder, even though I commonly see it used for females I actually really like it as a "pretty" yet masculine enough name for a male).

As far as call name, I have 3, and just decided I will wait until he arrives to pick which one I like.

First is obviously Berlin, but that means I would need to decide on that sooner as I should get papers to register any day now. Would be stupid to register him as Bohuslav but then decide to call him Berlin when that could of easily been his registered name.

Next name is Zombie. I was actually at a Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson concert when the name popped into my head. Rob Zombie is AMAZING, zombies in general are just cool (although way too popular at the moment), and I think it would be a very neat and unique name for a large dark sable male german shepherd. "No Zombie, No bite!"

Third name is Remus. After Star Trek. Remus is the twin planet to Romulas, and the Remans are a powerful, gargoyle like race that are commonly used as warriors in Romulan wars. Star Trek Nemesis was just an amazing movie, IMO, and that's NOT just because I love the ever sexy Tom Hardy ;) The roman mythology behind the name is cool as well - Romulas and Remus were twin brothers that were sent down the river by their mother and raised by a she-wolf. When they grew, they fought over where to found a city, and Romulas eventually won when he killed Remus. Hence the founding of Rome. The she-wolf ties in to the german shepherd breed. PLus I think it's also a very intimidating name for a large, dark sable male.

Downside to that name, I have a snake named Draco after the dragon constellation, and people are already constantly asking me if I named him after Harry Potter. Throw in another Harry Potter name, and I'll NEVER be able to deny the connection! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.