German Shepherds Forum banner

How Did You Come Up With Your Dog(s) Name?

201K views 684 replies 565 participants last post by  krodriguez 
#1 ·
I came up with Remington after relentlessly checking "german shepherd dog names" "baby names" and all sorts of sites. I had a list of like 30 names that (ex) BF axed all of them. I wanted Remy as a sort of "protection" dog-not attack or be mean dog, but since I was home alone a lot, just something to make me feel secure. Remington, being a gun brand, I thought- how funny would it be if I could say I have my own Remington protection ;)

Now, almost every time I am asked what her name is, and I say 'Remington,' almost every one has the same reply... "LIKE THE GUN?!" hehe. I didn't name her specifically after the gun, but I always say, "yes, like the gun." :rolleyes:

How did you come up with your beloved fur-child's name?

#87 ·
My WGSD girl's name is Nikita - it means "unconquered", which I didn't know until later, but it's pretty fitting for my independent little miss! Much better than our other choice of Shannon...

Our little black and tan boy is named Theodore - the OH wanted to name him Bear, but I like people names for pets, so we came up with that. It's shortened to Teddy while he's little, hopefully he will grow into the full name.

They are both of Greek origin, another thing I didn't know at the time, but it is nice to have matching :)

The rest of our menagerie all have people names;
- Isabella Bitey cat (guess why?)
- Eva (she has a Hitler moustache marking)
- Amelia and Morrison (my two house buns)

People names just have character!

#91 ·
Our oldest, Sampson, had his name when I rescued him. It fit, so we kept it.

Tito, was named by my husband after Tito Jackson from the Jackson 5 because "no one ever gives him enough credit."

And I named our Malcolm after Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. One of my favorite anti-heroes of all time. :)

#92 ·
Corey is a guide dog, so I didn't name her, her puppy raiser (the person who had her for the first 1 1/2 years of her life) did.

However, since right now, in the early stages of training, I'm the only one allowed to call her by name, I had to pick a "street name." So basically a name I give to strangers who ask her name and a name that friends can call her when they talk about her instead of saying her name. I chose Cordelia.

I picked Cordelia because a.) Corey could be short for Cordelia and b.) I love the name from back in the day when I watched Buffy and Angel. Also it fits her personality pretty well.

#94 ·
We named Mr. Eko after Mr. Eko from the show LOST lol. It was going to be either that or Sergei but we settled on Eko. We named our APBT Xena after a tv show also, I wanted to call her Athena, but they convinced me Xena would be easier for the dog to understand. I agreed since they sound similar and they are both strong female names. :)

#95 ·
I am going to name my future male puppy Thor. My ancestors go way back to the Norsemen. It was between Angus, Patton & Thor. Angus would have been based off Angus Young the guitarist for AC/DC and Patton would have been based on General Patton. Finally, decided on Thor as it is shorter.

#96 ·
I like names with meanings so our three German Shepherds' call names are:-

Our coming 4 year old male is Argus which means "vigilant guardian" but he's not - he would go with anybody. :) I don't mind though - love his temperament.

Our 3 year old female is Cidra which means "star like" which she definitely was in the confirmation ring.

Our 8 month old female puppy is Elsa which means "princess" and that she is. :)

#98 ·
Our puppies name is Also a variat of Argus his name is Argos which means the same thing vigilant guardian which we hope he grows to be :)

I like names with meanings so our three German Shepherds' call names are:-

Our coming 4 year old male is Argus which means "vigilant guardian" but he's not - he would go with anybody. :) I don't mind though - love his temperament.

Our 3 year old female is Cidra which means "star like" which she definitely was in the confirmation ring.

Our 8 month old female puppy is Elsa which means "princess" and that she is. :)

#99 ·
I have 4 kids and my husband to deal with when naming dogs. They usually get named after Disney characters and since that wasn't happening cause he's mine I wanted something that's not common in the town I live in. I was watching him with my youngest one day and he was literally running over him like a Bull Dozer so that's how he got his name, Dozer. It matches his personality perfectly.

#104 ·
He came with name Rafferty. I really hated that, but he had already started getting used to it so I sent off a round of texts to family and friends for suggestions and my dad suggested Ralph. I altered that and went with Ralphie. :) Though of course, he has many nicknames around the house like Ralphus, Ralphius Caesar and Ralpherton to spout off a few... :p

#105 ·
I generally just rattle off names till something is liked by everyone in the house, lol. Bella was named Ella at the rescue she came from but we liked Bella better and it was easier for the kids to pronouce, oddly. Boomer is a bird dog so we thought it fit plus my husband was a submariner and a nick name for subs is Boomer so it fit perfectly cause thats his dog :p And Izzy....I blurted out the name and my kids loved it and thats what they were calling her before it was really decided so it stuck but it fits her too.

#106 ·
We were originally looking at getting an English Bulldog and we had settled that it would either be named Oddjob (A James Bond villain) or Stig (driver from Top Gear). Once we decided we wanted a GSD more than a bulldog, we agreed neither of those names really fit. Stig probably could work but, we just didn't feel it was for her.

I have German ancestry and we went to Munich to take delivery of a BMW a few years ago. While there we had an incredible anniversary/vacation. It's still the go to vacation when we reminisce about vacations. So we wanted a name with good Germanic roots for our GSD...even if she's from maryland.

Unfortunately a lot of female German names are either awful or 47 letters long. I kept throwing Brunnhilde out there as a joke but not really a joke. After having visions of saying "Brunnhilde here!" "Brunnhilde platz" "Brunnhilde Sitz!" a million and a half times and the fact the wife didn't really like it we decided "Brunie" would be a better name.

Afterward we found out the female lead in Django was also named that. I think some of our friends think that's why we named her that but, that isn't the case. That said I still call her Brunnhilde in my best Christoph Walts voice when the wife isn't around.

#107 ·
Captain January was a book from the late 1800s I read as a kid when I would hang out at My grandmas gas station. Not much to do at an old gas station in the sticks, but they were some of the best days of my childhood. The name has been stuck in my head since then and seemed kind of fitting. found out later it was also a shirley temple movie from the 30s. I like names that you will never hear someone else call their dog. my last male was named Pinetop.

#109 ·
Ruben was his name from the shelter, so we kept it.

Stella was named by my son for the beer, Stella Artois. Most people think it's from the movie "Streetcar Named Desire", but nope....just a beer.

My favorite name was Shogun, for a GSD we had a long time ago.

#110 ·
Loki - My boxer. Named after the Norse god of mischief. If anyone has ever owned a boxer, this is self-explanatory.

Sandor - A character from the book series A Song of Ice & Fire. He's nicknamed the Hound, wears a helmet fashioned after a dog's head, and his family sigil is three dogs on a field. He's kind of a jerk, but that turned out to be fitting for my dog's personality too. :)

#111 ·
The new puppy is "Pax". The theme of the litter is Peace. Pax is Latin for peace, so...

#112 ·
Well, Hannah, Hermione, and Hepzibah came from Harry potter.
Babs and Jenna were Dubya's twin daughters. (Their pappa was Dubya)
Arwen and Frodo were out of the LOTRs.

Whitney and Tori's litter's girls were female singers. Heidi was also out of that litter and her name was Joplin. But I changed it to Heidi. Not sure why, just always liked that name.

Joy is my Joy.

Bear and Dolly were named for my nieces who each have a favorite thing in the world. Analisa's is a polar bear named Bear. And Elena's is a little pink dolly named Doll.

#113 ·
Once I came across some sensable information about names for your puppy. Not necessarity the name appear printed in his/her pedigree ( and any other documents he might have in his life) should match the name you call your dog. One variation is simple, you use human names, if your dog is "Margaret" in her papers - you call her "Maggie", and so on, diminutive. It always was popular to call German Shepherds after prominent figures in German military of the past, say, 18th century marshals and generals. In this case "Dagobert Sigmund von Wurmser" in pedigree papers could be "Dagger" or "Siggy" (Ziggy) for mambers of your family to call him. For females - names from German aristocracy: "Freifrau Amelie von Groben" - she could be "Lila".
What is important in all of this, you must be able to shout your dog's name, calling him from the distance.

#114 ·
When my husband & I had just started dating, we went to the county fair/rodeo. As we walked by the area where dog agility was going on, the announcer was yelling, "And here comes RRRRRRIIIIIILLLLEEEEEYYYY!!". We looked at each other & laughed, it sounded so dramatic & serious that for some reason it seemed hilarious to us. That memory stuck with us, and when we adopted our first family dog there was just no question about what to name her :) Riley is a 6yo GSD/lab mix (near as I can tell). We celebrate her birthday on St Paddys, because she was born approximately in March. Nicknames include Roo, Roocifer, Rupert, and Riley Roopers. lol.

As for our new GSD puppy... my husband is Italian and I am Irish/Italian/Swedish. Since Riley is an Irish name, I wanted to go with something Italian (guess our next pet with need a Swedish name lol). I have always liked the name Lucca, and I call him Luke for short. His full name is Lucca Von Cyclone ZAM... Cyclone because the wind was going 25-50+ mph almost the entire drive to get him, and ZAM because it is the first initials of mine, my husbands, and my daughters names.

#116 ·
My brother's PTSD assistance dog is Pax, he named her after what the Marines call their passenger, but he says she's his co-pilot. :) I found Jedda on a German girl name web site - lame I know, but it stuck in my head and I couldn't think of/like anything else! (It was Jetta, but I didn't want to name her after a car!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.