What is a back yard breeder ????????? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is a back yard breeder ?????????

What is a back yard breeder ???????? just i dont understand what this means zolas mam ursula

Zola 2012-

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

A person who breeds dogs in their own backyard and sells them for money. Its a huge problem becuase a lot of their dogs have bad nerves and health issues which end up at the shelter or euthenized due to agression.

For example if you had male and female GSD and they had a litter and you sold their puppies you would be considered "backyard breeder". Its not good for dogs or their owners.

A lot of them end up growing up in terrible conditions, no vet care and no appropriate space to live... and then when nobody buys them they end up at the shelter or they end up abused by their owners or people who got a "cheap" puppy ...

Last edited by julie87; 02-01-2013 at 03:11 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

thats horrible i feel sad to know that...... its still going to be a problem if people think they are getting a healthy pup and not realise they are back yard breeders i mean if they advertise to be decent breeders how will they no any difference ? this will encourage breeders to do it more and more.......

Zola 2012-

Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What is a back yard breeder ?????????

Backyard breeder puppies usually don't come with papers that guarantees their hips/elbows.. And they don't have info on parents either. Their cost is up to $300 a pup that I know. The pup that you would get would be a complete mystery. A good real breeder puppy will be $1000 and up.

The problem is say you do get a pup from backyard breeder... At two months they are cute and goofy and you won't know the difference but around 5 months you will see either health issues or temperament issues or worse... BOTH. backyard breeders have no interest or love for the animals. They are only doing this to make a quick buck while their male and female GSD suffers. For example say the mom is in labor is there are complications she will be left to die and so is her litter because backyard breeders cant afford The vet...You can research more details online about it but that pretty much sums it up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

thank you for letting me no, i think in future i will warn people i know who is interested in getn a GSD to be careful ...

Zola 2012-

Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

definately
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
A person who breeds dogs in their own backyard and sells them for money. Its a huge problem becuase a lot of their dogs have bad nerves and health issues which end up at the shelter or euthenized due to agression.

For example if you had male and female GSD and they had a litter and you sold their puppies you would be considered "backyard breeder". Its not good for dogs or their owners.

A lot of them end up growing up in terrible conditions, no vet care and no appropriate space to live... and then when nobody buys them they end up at the shelter or they end up abused by their owners or people who got a "cheap" puppy ...
Hence the reason we are seeing an increase in rescue dogs,over here in the UK,we are volunteers for a GSD rescue and its upsetting to see them unwanted

Zola 2012-

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So Julie87, What about breeders who do care about there dogs? They provide them with care and love. They just don't know much about the breed and are breeding their pets or to a dog down the street because they are very pretty. Maybe they don't have the first clue how to read a pedigree or know anything about titles or conformation or genetic health issues. They are really nice people who take good care of their dogs but are not combining intelligently matched pairs. Are they not also back yard breeders? I would argue that most people who are back yard breeders fall into this category.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post

The problem is say you do get a pup from backyard breeder... At two months they are cute and goofy and you won't know the difference but around 5 months you will see either health issues or temperament issues or worse... BOTH.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is not a statement that is fact, it might be true in some cases, but not all. I'm not defending a back yard breeder, but I will defend the dog that comes from it, but that is just me. I don't have an issue with loving an animal that might not be perfect.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

IMO a backyard breeder is someone who is ignorant to the knowledge they should have before breeding. Someone who has good looking dogs or wonderful pets but doesn't know the proper way to go about breeding. (Health checks, guarantees, matching two dogs to breed a good litter, titled etc.) Not all backyard breeders are bad people, just ignorant people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.