What is a back yard breeder ????????? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What is a back yard breeder ?????????

Perhaps y'all have seen what I seen what goes on at BYB that's why some of you are accepting of BYB.

THERE ARE NO GOOD REASONS TO SUPPORT BYB!!!!!

It need to STOP.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #32 (permalink)

OK so i`m starting to get the picture here.
1. Some BYB aren`t dog lovers but money worshippers,
2. Some BYB do love the breed and take every care to ensure they get a healthy litter.
3. Show line top breeders breed the best litters .
4. Show line breeders are more expensive.
5 BYB are the cheapest.
So ok some more questions........
1.Do the top breeders always get puppies that are all healthy ?
2.If not what do they do with the unhealthy ones .?
3.Do BYB just pick any stud they can get.
4.What do BYB`s do with the pups that are unsold ?
5.Are top breeders still trying to improve the GSD.
6.Where do top breeders have their kennels,,backyard maybe ?
AND LAST QUESTION..has a BYB gsd ever won a top show.
I`m not trying to course a argument,just wanting to learn more.

Kai 2013-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Zola 2012-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
A person who breeds dogs in their own backyard and sells them for money. Its a huge problem becuase a lot of their dogs have bad nerves and health issues which end up at the shelter or euthenized due to agression.

For example if you had male and female GSD and they had a litter and you sold their puppies you would be considered "backyard breeder". Its not good for dogs or their owners.

A lot of them end up growing up in terrible conditions, no vet care and no appropriate space to live... and then when nobody buys them they end up at the shelter or they end up abused by their owners or people who got a "cheap" puppy ...
Even ethical breeders, breed their dogs in their own backyard most of the time because not every small, responsible breeder has a huge facility.

The point of being a byb is that the dogs are not worked, titled or at least health tested. It's two random dogs, put together because they are "AKC" or because they are so "big and fluffy" and the "best dog in the world" without any understanding to what they produce.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

ok, doest it matter WHERE they breed them? The mojority is horrible conditions cold backyards, pups eat/drink/poop/pee all in the same place(cage) because there is no room for them while parents are locked up in their own cages. This is what I saw when I bought my dog for $225 when I didn't know any better. Now, I am not saying that ALL of them will be like that but 90% will be!!!! and what happens when you get a pup and fall in love with it and get so attached and realize he or she has health issues or bad nerves. Your pup will either have horrible life or will be put to sleep. Does that sound good to you??????

Please do not encourage anyone to get pups from them. The more they sell the more they breed the more sick/fearful dogs end up dead or at the shelter. This is their dogs future MOST OF THE TIME. Even if 1% of their pups turn out great is it worth it to continue this madness?

There is NOTHING positivie to say about BYB. So everyone just STOP talking about it already!
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #35 (permalink)

Wow... I wish I would have stumbled upon this site earlier. I paid $650 from a back yard breeder. Bought him off of lancasterpuppiesgotcom. I figured since he was AKC that, that is what I was supposed to look for. The website said he was vet checked. After I drove three hours to pick him up I was told that their son had given Max his shots. I fell in love with Max so I took him home anyway. The puppies were in a barn when I arrived. I wasn't expecting that. I figured I'd pick him up from a nice warm enviroment. SMH... all that was two weeks ago. I have taken him to the vet and so far so good. I love him with all my heart, this is my first pure bred GSD. The main reason I bought him from that website and not a local breeder because there were only a few breeders in my area ( within a few hours radiace) who were all selling their puppies for 3k. As much as I wanted a puppy I didn't have that kind of money to put out for a dog. ** OK.. just an insight of why someone would buy from one in the first place.**
missshepherddiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

missshepherddiva, hoping your puppy turns out as perfect as he currently seems to be!

But you bought from a worse (in my opinion) type of breeder. Sounds like a puppy miller. The issue with them is the fact that it's a business in every way and puppies are just a product. So the adorable puppy they clean up and sell to someone shows no signs of the conditions they were probably born into and that your money is allowing to continue for future litters (and worse) for the parent dog(s).

It's crazy how the Amish are some of the worst and PA is one of the worst states!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Perhaps y'all have seen what I seen what goes on at BYB that's why some of you are accepting of BYB.

THERE ARE NO GOOD REASONS TO SUPPORT BYB!!!!!

It need to STOP.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That's a mighty broad brush you're wielding, there.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by missshepherddiva View Post
Wow... I wish I would have stumbled upon this site earlier. I paid $650 from a back yard breeder. Bought him off of lancasterpuppiesgotcom. I figured since he was AKC that, that is what I was supposed to look for. The website said he was vet checked. After I drove three hours to pick him up I was told that their son had given Max his shots. I fell in love with Max so I took him home anyway. The puppies were in a barn when I arrived. I wasn't expecting that. I figured I'd pick him up from a nice warm enviroment. SMH... all that was two weeks ago. I have taken him to the vet and so far so good. I love him with all my heart, this is my first pure bred GSD. The main reason I bought him from that website and not a local breeder because there were only a few breeders in my area ( within a few hours radiace) who were all selling their puppies for 3k. As much as I wanted a puppy I didn't have that kind of money to put out for a dog. ** OK.. just an insight of why someone would buy from one in the first place.**
I also hope your pup continues on a body and mind-healthy path and believe that you'll do what it takes to see him through thick and thin. . This said, given the fact that you really don't know what went into his breeding, I'm guessing that you'll be having him neutered?
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

BYB, just like "puppy mills", are terms created to divide and conquer. Used to put "labels" on something to help destroy all breeding. It is very obvious that people can not come up with a good description because everyone bases their description on their own opinion, what they have heard repeated over and over again on the internet or from a bad experience.

Obviously those raising their dogs in total filth with little care are not people who should be supported, but there are also breeders that take great care of their dogs who also should not be supported.

The Amish are puppy farmers. They treat their dogs like livestock as do places like Hunt corporation. Only way to eliminate these types of breeders is to eliminate their market and thus take away their ability to make money. Only way to do that is to hope we can educate enough people so they stop buying these puppies.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
BYB, just like "puppy mills", are terms created to divide and conquer. Used to put "labels" on something to help destroy all breeding. It is very obvious that people can not come up with a good description because everyone bases their description on their own opinion, what they have heard repeated over and over again on the internet or from a bad experience.

Obviously those raising their dogs in total filth with little care are not people who should be supported, but there are also breeders that take great care of their dogs who also should not be supported.

The Amish are puppy farmers. They treat their dogs like livestock as do places like Hunt corporation. Only way to eliminate these types of breeders is to eliminate their market and thus take away their ability to make money. Only way to do that is to hope we can educate enough people so they stop buying these puppies.
And we hope this forum will help do that,educate educate ,educate,,,,

Kai 2013-
-
Zola 2012-

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.