German Shepherds Forum banner

Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer

63K views 256 replies 208 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
This question applies to all dogs,not just those with PPD training. I like the fact that Casja will alert when someone is at my door,but I know that she would basically give anyone the grand tour if they wanted to take something. So I don't feel 'safe',but don't feel 'unsafe' either if that makes sense.

How much more secure do you feel with your dogs?

#3 ·
With a 130 lb. 32 inch high GSD very secure:). I had to laugh when I had some remodeling done last spring, I had the door unlocked. So one day the carpenters came early (and my Sting who knew them had let them pet him) - well they opened the back door and the growling/barking started - I heard the door slam shut, and came out to find Sting standing by the closed door and the 2 carpenters respectfully standing outside. After that, they always knocked first and waited for me to come to the door if they came early.

#4 ·
I am a single girl living in the city, I live in a good neighbourhood but there is a mall near me so lots of different people.

I walk a lot at night due to my schedule at work so I do feel a bit safer with my 2 dogs with me.

They are a deterrent, for sure. People give me a wide berth when I am walking around the busy streets.

Stark would probably shut down if someone came at us or run, but I know Zefra would relish in the fight... LOL. I also feel a lot better knowing that Zefra has done some hidden sleeve work and real life scenarios in training and will listen to a recall or a bark and hold if I ask, and if necessary.. a bite.

I protect my dogs first, but they definitely make people think twice. :)

#5 ·
No.
If someone entered my home, I would fear for Kira's safety. Since she is a GSD, most would expect her to be protective, and may try to inflict harm on her.

On a bright note.... She would alert me, and give me enough time to choose between "Smith & Wesson" or a "louisville Slugger" :)

#6 ·
Oh, and wanted to add... I usually walk at night with a friend of mine (Wild Wolf on this forum) and her dog Hunter.... so it's us two girls and our 3 German Shepherds..... yeah... people think twice... or three times for that matter. ;)

Reactions: Arathorn II
#24 ·
Oh, and wanted to add... I usually walk at night with a friend of mine (Wild Wolf on this forum) and her dog Hunter.... so it's us two girls and our 3 German Shepherds..... yeah... people think twice... or three times for that matter. ;)

Do you live near conestoga mall or fairview? Love the pic!

As for the question do I feel safer having gsd's. I know for a fact that Piper would not let anyone she didnt know into the house and if you are that unlucky someone coming unannounced into my home I wouldnt want to face my girl. I dont believe she would ever bite anyone but she sure looks like she would!( barking growling, hackles up, baring teeth) Zeus is a social butterfly and would allow anyone to come into the house. But I feel safe because i have two large gsds with me and know that alone would deter people from doing anything bad. I live out in the country and behind a cemetary so I dont think anyone would want to come to my house anways lol.

#7 ·
As much as being around people makes me feel safe, the fact I have two sets of keen noses and ears makes me feel even safer :D.

It doesn't hurt Delgado can back up his bark with a nasty bite if needed ;). Though I'd never ask him to :)

#8 ·
All of my dogs are my first alert. We (hubby or I) will take care of things after the initial alert.

Nothing says, "You are NOT welcomed here!" like four madly barking dogs.

#10 ·
Yes. People on the street will usually give me the wide berth as I am walking with Bear. Also Bear is very sensitive to sounds in close proximity to the house and lets us know if something is up.
Not too long ago my daughter came home from college to surprise us, she came through the garage and was having a hard time with the lock. Bear went ballistic because someone was trying to get in, he couldn't hear my daughter's voice because he was so worked up, needless to say my heart was racing a mile a minute because I thought someone was trying to break in. He finally heard it was her and calmed down.
I think if anyone heard his bark it would definitely be a deterrant.

#11 ·
Yes, I feel more secure as my boy's sight and hearing day or night can alert me to any problem that may occur, and then it is up to me to address that problem by any means that is necessary.

#12 ·
Very, very secure.

People avoid me and Hunter, most cross the street. Very secure doing our late night walks just me and him (midnight to 2am range usually).

People who don't know him are afraid to come in the house. He will not allow entry without me allowing the person in, but will sit and watch them intensely when in the house.

If I ask him to defend me, he does so confidently and very enthusiastically.

#14 ·
Yes. They absolutely do...even if I KNOW they wouldn't do anything.

Case in point: One evening (during my college days) there was a random knock at the door and my shepherd started going off as per usual. I couldn't tell you why I did it, it was really stupid, but I just opened the door. There on the other side of my glass door was a very large man. A complete stranger.

He made eye contact with me then proceeded to look down, made eye contact with both of the dogs. A glance to my left. A glance to my right. Made eye contact with me again, and promptly said, "Uh, sorry. Wrong house." He then quickly turned and walked away. I was left standing in my doorway thinking, "Oh, ok. Sure."

Later I realized how stupid a thing I had done. However, it goes to show that most people avoid you when you have large, intense dogs whether you're on the street or in your own home. My shepherd will stare down anyone she sees. I know she just wants attention and scratches, but no one else knows that. They just see a large, black german shepherd staring them down from across the street. I'm more than ok with that. In fact, I love it.

#15 ·
At home, yes.

She is a derterent.

She will bark at people at the door, and she has different barks depending on the person's actions. (she can see as my front door is full patterened glass and they can see her, although more difficult).

Walking, I've never had the need to want to feel secure with or without my dog, but, if I were to meet a questionable person I'd want her with me.

#19 ·
Absolutely. We were the victims of a home invasion a couple of years ago and our two older boys alerted my husband that something was amiss downstairs in enough time for him to handle the situation before any harm could come to us. They absolutely make me feel safer when my husband is not at home, which happens pretty often with his job in the military. I don't think we'll ever not have a dog (or two, or three) in the house.

#20 ·
at home, no, my male aussie is the alert button and wouldn't hesitate to corner a male intruder he wasn't familiar with. Masi, nope, "come on in" is her motto, tho if salesmen come to the door, she will stand there staring at them which can make a stranger nervous for sure:)

Out in public, yes I feel very safe, walking/hiking, whatever. THo she's never been in a situation where she's 'had' to defend me, she is very very stand offish, aloof, does alot of staring if I'm stopped talking to some"stranger",,but she does make me feel safer out in public.

#21 ·
Yes I feel safer. I would definately not go hiking or riding my bike deep in the trails by myself, with all 3 dogs I have no problem heading out in the dark.

#22 ·
Yes.
Right now I have a labrador, a great dane and a toy poodle.
The lab is a love bug, came from a neglect situation, the great dane is old and came from an abuse situation, and the toy poodle is your typical neglected yappy dog..... but the fact alone that they're there makes me feel safer.
I wouldn't expect my lab to protect me, I've seen the great dane show aggression towards certain people, before her health started declining... and the poodle...well, she'd maybe bit their shoe laces... but their presence makes me feel safer.

#23 ·
Oh they sure do.

3 GSDs that are not particularly thrilled about strangers during walks (especially at night) is pretty intimidating. I walk often at night because of work and the weather here. During summer months it's just WAY to hot to go further then the end of the driveway. Although our neighborhood and general area is very nice.... it's not gated, and anyone can walk through. You never know who could show up one night.

For the most part, people usually avoid using even the same street as us. lol! If anything was to happen, I would at least have a warning to do what's necessary. I would protect my dogs first, but I know Duke would bite (probably wouldn't hold... but he would rip a good chunk out), Zira would freak out and probably just bark... or run away peeing herself. However, Storm lives for the fight, and the more you go at her... the more she fights back and the stronger her bites are. I have a feeling, as an adult... Storm will have no problem protecting and staying in the action.

Even without them doing anything, I feel they are a good deterrent. I don't understand why anyone would pick a fight with a person and 3 large GSDs. Joke would be on them anyways, I don't carry cash and I never wear any jewelery when I workout or go for walks. All they would win is a hospital stay. lol!

#26 ·
That's awesome..would be neat living so close to a mall..Sorry if I've creeped you out lol..I work in Kitchener at a vet clinic and am there 5 and a half days a week. Also used to live in Waterloo when I was a kid until I moved out by Innerkip/Bright area...Was just curious :) I love your pups..beautiful dogs :)

#28 ·
Yes my dog makes me feel safer, it is hard to sneek up on a dog at night. So a good warning system. She makes sales people go away fast though she only gives one alert bark and sits by me when I answer the door. They don't know the danger of all the licks they might get if she could get to them lol She is a people lover. Only once did she go crazy at my door when some man knocked and I did not answer because I trust her judgement and one time she really barked at a man walking down the street and this is in only times the year that I have had her.I am glad she does not bark at every pasery by but alerts when they come on my property.

#29 · (Edited)
My one GSD is working line. The other day two fellas came to install my new HVAC. I was absolutely not thinking and let my two out to greet them. Off leash, Ziva would not do anything initially but hide behind me. However, Jethro took off at high speed and penned the one guy against the side of the house with his best Schutzhund bark. I swear he loves to see people jump! He is not Schutzhund trained but has seen dogs work. Note to self: do NOT allow my dogs to greet people off leash for awhile, especially if they are wearing cold weather coveralls, which could be mistaken for a bite suit.

My two are good about 'alerting' me to strange noises outside. Not the same as being 'yappy' at all.

Do I feel safer? Most definitely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.