German Shepherds Forum banner

Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer

63K views 256 replies 208 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
This question applies to all dogs,not just those with PPD training. I like the fact that Casja will alert when someone is at my door,but I know that she would basically give anyone the grand tour if they wanted to take something. So I don't feel 'safe',but don't feel 'unsafe' either if that makes sense.

How much more secure do you feel with your dogs?

#30 ·
I am very hard of hearing, so it was nerve wracking for me not having GSD's in my house. Grim still doesn't bark if someone's at the door, but the girls do. He just hangs there... and waits. I think that's more intimidating (for me anyway) and something my bitch used to do. He's always been more 'alert' on night walks, which I really like. Now that he's 'found his bark' it's even more fun, LOL! Nothing like a dark faced GSD barking at you. :D He has no fear, either. Even at just shy of 7 months, I feel MUCH safer with him here. The hotel on our one side is blocked by a tall row of bushes. The other side is nothing, especially after the hardware store down the way closes. Behind us is a UAW hall. So we're really isolated, and this isn't the best small town. However, I wouldn't hesitate still to walk him at night here. He's handler protective already...so my biggest fear is someone hurting him when he's trying to protect me. I hope we're never in that situation. Over all, though... yes. He makes me feel very safe. :wub:

#32 ·
Oh definitely yes! At home, if my husband is out with my male dog Niko, Rosa is on high alert and she lets me know if anything is going on outside that I should know about. There is NO WAY any of my neighbor's cats will go through my property without me knowing. ;)

Niko is really perfect for me as a running partner. I run in a very rural and secluded area, I very rarely see anyone on the trails I run, and if I do they are just driving through as a shortcut to somewhere else (unless it is hunting season). If someone wished me harm, my habits are pretty regular so it would not be hard to hang out and wait for me to go by. But with Niko and a canister of pepper spray and my cell phone always with me, I don't worry about being assaulted. Not that I think Niko would protect me, but I know he mistrusts strangers and he looks intimidating. He has a very loud bark and is kind of reactive, so it doesn't take much to set him off on an aggressive display unless I am actively managing him.

#34 ·
Kaiser definitely makes me feel safer. Whether or not he'd actually engage a threat is questionable, but looks alone are a good enough deterrent. It also helps that his bark is deep; if he weren't my dog I'd be scared of him, lol. That's part of the reason I chose to own a GSD, since I am a single female and used to live by myself.

#35 ·
Yes she does, even tho she's only 7 month's everybody think's she's older and will protect me, cause if somebody "new" come's in or somebody she dosen't really know she'll just stare at them and sit by me. On walk's it's great I must say. Anybody that see's her will get off the sidewalk and walk by rather fast, or cross the street :) Even when i have her off leash and she see's somebody going by she'll just run over to me and watch them walk by lol

#36 ·
My oldest one(non GSD) generally likes everyone, so if she barks or shows signs of not being comfortable, I know something is wrong. The golden thinks he's a rott, he really loves everything, but one wouldn't know that if they tried to approach me..he is probably the best deterrent vocally. The GSD is quiet, but will stare someone down and she doesn't let up until they are gone. Most people are afraid of her, but she isn't a mean dog at all. If all three of them are together in the house and barking, I can't imagine who would be stupid enough to try to come in. So yes I do feel safer with them, even if all they do is alert...most of the time that can be enough.

#38 ·
Sort of, because of all of the noise she makes when someone is at the door. It would seem it would be foolish to enter my house the way she carries on. But, she tends to be lab-like once we let them in. Out on walks, not so lab-like, but hasn't had to act tough.

#39 ·
as of right now shes a puppy so...to me..not really. but as she grows she will be more intimidating. Its not really for me its more for my gf, I work nights so shes home alone at night 5 days a week. I dont intend on doing PPD with her so shes really just a show of force.

#40 ·
Even a friendly dog gives you the time you need to react. So definately feel safer with my dogs. If I have been asleep for 3 hours, the warning from the dogs gives me time to clear the cobwebs & do what's needed. i m sure they would do what they need to also. The world is changing. No more unlocked doors, etc.

#42 ·
I live in a cul de sac about 3 blocks from a drug/prostitution corridor. There are also a lot of homeless and car dwellers about plus a large low income housing project around the corner. Havoc is a huge comfort and deterrent and he is somewhat discerning. Most sketchy people simply assume that he is a ppd and his aloofness adds to that impression. Quite a few questionable folk call him the "K-9" and avoid him. On the other hand, he is very happy to see some the homeless folk that he's known since puppyhood.

#44 ·
Absolutely feel safer with Stella and Ruben. Don't know if they would actually do anything, but a GSD and a big black 120 lb newfie mix look pretty intimidating.
Although a dog is no guarantee. A lady in one of my dog classes has a big barky dog. She was a victim of a home invasion. The 2 invaders basically said control your dog or we will shoot it.

#46 ·
The reason Onyx was brought in was for deterrent/security. My 11 yr old daughter was having issues with the neighborhood and was very fearful. One of our neighbors was murdered(13 yrs old) by another transient neighbor a year before and then there was a weird van canvassing the hood.
We live in a fairly safe place/cul-de-sac, but crazy can happen anywhere. So DH thought a GSD would make daughter feel safer.

I always had family gatherings/parties and our house was the place everyone gathered. Since GSD's entered the house, the parties/gatherings and drop-in company has all but dissappeared.

Even with obedience on the dogs and knowing they are under control, people are too intimidated to visit. I feel bad, but it is what it is.
DH carries so if really necessary, the dogs alerting will be enough. I don't expect them to protect me, just be a good deterrent/alert system.

#47 ·
Most definitely. Ever since I moved out on my own I've had a dog. I don't like not having one around--they hear, sense, and smell much, much more than I could ever. Every dog I've owned so far has made me feel like, while they might lose the fight, or back off if a human ever fully engaged them, they'd at least make the attempt. And with a wild animal that was rushing us? For sure. As that bond develops, you just know when to trust their instincts. I still feel many areas are my job to protect him, and as he ages someday into a senior, his senses might diminish. But still....dogs are dogs.

Rocket used to bark more all last fall and winter and spring as he was going through puppyhood at little noises in the night, but it's steadily gotten less and less until now, he rarely barks at all. And when he does, we get up and look. (This is during daytime too). He hasn't barked in the middle of the night for several months now, which shows me he's maturing and able to discriminate now between "normal" sounds outside, deer, moose, etc and stuff.

Also, I've met several people who've come up to me in the grocer etc and said "Say, don't you run in our neighborhood?" and then make comments about him--usually along the lines of "Well, keep HIM with you and you'll be alright! He sure is intimidating looking!" That's a big part of it. Deterrent. I don't necessarily tell them he's a pretty friendly dog. First, because he's still young, second because I don't know exactly how he would react if someone rushed me, and third, reputation is everything. ;)

#48 ·
Very much so. We always had dogs growing up, so I don't feel comfortable without n 'early warning system'. Right after we moved, someone kicked in the front door and walked into the living room. Finn let lose a torrent of 'big boy' barks and growls while standing his ground and the intruder turned tail and ran. When I walk him, the questionable folk don't come anywhere near us and I doubt he'd let them, even though Finn doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

#49 ·
Of course I feel safer but not because she is a dog, but because she is a GSD and doesn't like strangers especially if they come near the house. Whenever there is a nock at the door she goes crazy, barking and running ahead of me to the door, then she inhales trying to smell the person through the cracks in the door (so loud lol) if somebody new comes to the house the dog has to be crated or else.. the other day my husband was working in garage and one of his friends came over and the dog was hanging out with him, he was sitting with his back facing the street so he didn't see who is coming, anyway the dog went NUTS lunging at him and snapping, glad she was tied. His friend is now terrified of our dog and she is only 9 months old. It just comes natural to them to protect their property. Even hubby said that he feels safer with the dog whenever he is working in garage cuz you never know who can sneak up on you while you aren't watching.I am alone most of the time, we live in bad neighborhood...And I don't know about the rest of women here but I am scared to take a shower when I am alone, now that I have a dog I feel much safer because if the water is running I can't hear the intruder and Im naked!! I definately hear dog's bark if there is ANYTHING suspcious. I don't care if anyone thinks its silly, things happen. When I didn't have her I relied on my beretta only....now I have my girl alarming me and I will take care of the rest... As far as walks, let me tell you I wouldn't walk at all if it wasn't for my girl... just not safe at all... When we go for a walk I have a knife on me, pepperspray and Im working on getting concealed weapon permit...you can never be too safe when it comes to walking alone with dog at night...you can't have too much protection for your life.

#52 · (Edited)
I went to one shutzhund session to watch so far. If someone doesnt submit to the barking they are certainly have bad intentions. These dogs are scary. Ive had my girl 8 days and shes barked 3 times, once to potty while I was upstairs, and 2 at a sqeaky snake toy in the bathroom when I turned the light out. I was surprised how dang loud her bark is at this age! The neighbors gsd arent trained and they just bark all day at nothing so ill be happy if she stays quiet.

#53 ·
This question has me laughing honestly. We presently have five dogs in the house. Two hound mixes, two GSDs and a GSD/Border Collie mix. Riley barks his head off at everything, the hounds are followers and bark whenever someone else starts barking, Shasta is generally pretty quiet but likes to "sing" when the other dogs get going and Zena is old and grumpy and usually leading the charge even though her hearing is going. Simple answer, No, I don't feel safe actually. None of them bark when its actually necessary so I don't trust the barking for anything but giving me a headache. When Zena was my dog and in her right mind so to speak, yes I felt safer because she'd proven a couple times she'd go after an intruder. She's the only one who would. BUT anyone thinking on trying to get into this house would be an idiot. A deer could fart in the next county and it would be cause for a barking spree but when the doorbell rings, nothing. Not a peep. Kind of defeats the purpose of alerting....

#57 ·
My opinion for what its worth......Certain breeds are natural deterrents often by reputation deserved or not. Whether a certain GSD is actually trained to any degree or not, I think their reputation earns them respect and in that a certain caution by most people even idiots whose intentions are not good. Unless one has a dog that cowers or otherwise has shy behaviour, most would be troublemakers would be wary.
Now add the natural instincts of GSD to be protective or even territorial of its surroundings, I feel my dog makes both me and my wife feel confident she would step up. She is also interestingly discerning about who comes around the vehicle when she is in it. Acts different when confronted by different kind of "vibes" (my description).

#58 ·
Wife worked in Medicare Fraud investigations for a few years. With successful fraud prosecutions came threats on her life and on the lives of her colleagues.

It's been years now since she left that field, but, the mental imprint of those threats wears on. Until you and your children's lives have been threatened by someone anonymous but seemingly quite sincere you just haven't any idea what it can be like.

Since then neither she nor I take any chances either at home or at play or at work. Grudge holding inmates released from prison have a well-deserved reputation for revenge.

At home, at least our primary defense is me, an ex-Marine with plenty of experience and with no hesitation whatsoever to confront and shoot, as necessary. But I'll admit I'm getting older now and that I sleep more soundly now than at any time in my life, particularly more so than when I was in the service.

So, the dog is a welcome addition to the security plan. He will, at least, give me those 5 seconds I need to be up and armed. And, HIS security perimiter seems larger than the property itself (suburban home) which would probably be mine. Healerts at people and vehicles at least a house away. It's comforting.

We bought a GSD not because of their reputation for security or their threatening looks or their ability to train to protection dog status. We bought him because they're so darned smart and so beautiful. The loyalty didn't hurt any either.

But really, our Laborador, God Bless Her Soul, was a great alarm bell too when anything was amiss at night.

It's like I say about fishing, the fish doesn't know the quality of rod and reel you use as long as the bait or lure is spot on. Same with alarm dogs. The bark is the deterent, not the breed necessarily, particularly if the bad guy can't see the dog.

But as many have said here, the real threat to an intruder or vandal is the homeowner. That's certainly the case here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.