German Shepherds Forum banner

Is it bad to allow your GSD to sleep in your bed with you?

153K views 263 replies 204 participants last post by  Gaia 
#1 ·
First post, dont hold back :p

My 5 month old GSD has his own bed, and uses it most nights, however some nights I need to go to sleep and he just isn't getting bored or comfy, If I let him in my bed with me he goes right to sleep. Now Im aware this might not be the best thing down the road. But if i continue to do this, is it really going to haunt me in the future?

#207 ·
Off!

I am in the no dogs on the furniture camp.

My 10 month GSD bitch turned out to probably be the dominant puppy in the littler. When I went to pick her out at 5 weeks, she came and got into my lap three times in a row. I thought how sweet, she likes me and put my collar on her and claimed her. Well, it turns out she was saying I do what I want. Dominance is in their genes, you can suppress it but not train it away. So firmness and pack leadership of the humans is constantly maintained. She is a great dog, a tough dog. As they say a 'hard' dog. She is from Eastern European working lines.

She a dear sweet girl but is always angling for dominance.She sleeps in her crate, eats after we do, goes out the door last after sitting or downing. For instance, the other night after I had gone to bed my man said Melissa, come look. Inga was in my chair and looking at him with great big loving eyes and her tongue hanging out. I said Off! and she went to her rug with the most sour and disappointed look on her face it was funny.

I meet people at the dog park who are clueless about pack order in the family- dogs biting the children for instance. I have noticed that invariably, they let the dogs on the furniture. Dogs are pack animals. Many people think they are like children but it is basically about dominance and submission. They are dogs!

All my previous dogs in my life were sighthounds- Greyhounds, Whippets and Borzois. They are 'soft' dogs. This German Shepherd is my first what I would call a Real Dog. They have to be trained and given a job to do or they deteriorate. People with softer dogs I'm sure will disagree.

#208 ·
My dogs are well behaved with children, never show any aggression toward me, they go on the furniture when they are in the house. They like the sofa, and are fine with my bed.

You have to be smarter than the dog though, and always have a plan. If the dog managed to get soaked with mud, he will think nothing of jumping up on the bed or on the couch the moment he comes in. So you have to have a plan for that, have a towel ready and towel him off. put a lead on him and tell him OFF when he get's near the bed (on route to the tub), it isn't rocket science.

I have never had a dog become dominant because I let them on the bed or couch. Not happening. For some reason they all think I am greater than chopped liver, and wherever they are in their doggy pack order, I am the human which just happens to trump doggy pack order completely. The dogs are smart. They know I am not a dog. Maybe it is because I walk on two feet. Not sure. But, I am not struggling to stay on top of them. I don't need to. They can go out of doors before me, they can eat before me or after me, or even, sometimes when I am eating I will toss grizzle and fat their way. Not once have they jumped up and stolen the food off my plate. And they aren't obnoxious about begging either. Well, Babsy does have deep eye wells that seem to talk, but she isn't pushy about getting at my food. In fact, she is the one that generally gets the fat and grizzle, etc, and I had thrown some skin away the other day, top of the garbage, when she came in, she looked at it, and I told the puppy "Leave It" and then went in and took a shower. 15 minutes later, neither she nor the puppy touched that delectable dainty, and that is what I expect from critters who can share my couch and share my bed.

It's funny, but people have every kind of gadget and correction collar on their dog, and are tripping through keeping them off furniture and walking through doors first, and training them daily, and the dog is still out of control. Why is that? I think we make this business of raising a dog way too hard. I know a guy that lets his pups grow up first, at 10 months he teaches them obedience, takes about a week. Done. I do it a little different, usually taking them to a puppy class and maybe obedience classes, not to train them, but more for the experience with other people and other dogs, and yes, we put the training in there too. 6 months or a year later, they still have it down.

#209 ·
What about all the dog hair and the smell in the bed? Someone said 'ruins your lovelife'. The amount of hair I brush from my German Shepherd dog each day could clothe an adult rabbit.

#210 ·
Aww geez! Well that explains it!! Though I think someone other than me would actually have to see all the dog hair on my bed to be turned off by it. Dang it, thought I had answer.

Reactions: lalabug
#212 ·
Basically I am a shallow person, I don't want the dog on the sofa unless invited because it's leather and the claws scratch it. My beautiful late dog was not allowed upstairs or on the beds, again, unless invited. Usually when the kids asked if the dog could put them to bed. She was a long haired solid black and i was grateful not to have to hoover upstairs everyday like downstairs. However towards the end, she would only settle if she slept along my side of the bed which I had no problem with. But jeez, between her snoring and my husbands, not to mention her prowling, and bless her, the large amounts of water she had to drink and her black fur everywhere, lets just say, my 5 month old pup is back downstairs in a crate.

#213 ·
It's up to you. Dog's do fine sleeping in crates or on the floor. It doesn't hurt them. Not being on the furniture is up to you.

I really only object to the idea that it is unhealthy or unsafe or unwise to have the dog sleep in the bed.

#217 ·
I don't see it as a bad thing at all Nikkia has slept in bed with me for the past 9 years. Kavik sleeps out with us on the weekends/vacations but sleeps in her kennel during the week. She has developed a nasty habit of wanting to initiate play time a 3 am even after a pre-bedtime walk or training session. We are working to eliminate it but it's not something I have wanted to "deal with" when I have to get up for work the next morning. Haha So for now bed time with us is a weekend treat. :)

#220 ·
We recently started letting our 6 month old pup sleep with us about a month ago. I was highly against it at first. This being our first GSD I worried about it creating dominance issues since most of what you see on google advises against it. She doesn't display any dominance towards us so we haven't had any problems.We make her sit and wait until we are both under the covers before we give her the "OK" just to be safe and make sure she knows she can't just jump up as she pleases.
I did read an article later that highlighted the benefits to letting them sleep with you. They have a higher body temp so you definitely stay warm (although I prefer to stay cool). Since dogs are pack animals they do everything together, including sleep. It can also give both the dog and human a sense of security knowing that someone else is there to keep an eye/ear out, and over all it's a great way to bond. That sense of security can also help to ease anxiety thus letting you sleep better.

Of course, as posted before it really is about personal preference. I was highly against at first but my boyfriend wore me down and I'm glad he did :) My only rule now is she does not get under the covers with us, but stays on top of the comforter/bedspread.

#224 ·
My dogs have always slept in bed with me, I've had a dog with me even as a young kid. Both of my dogs are crate trained but have always slept in the bed at night even as pups, I'm a light sleeper and I'd keep them close to me so if they needed to potty I could get up to take them out right away. I actually think this helped housebreak my boy pup as well and quick as he did. I feel lost and lonely without a warm, cuddly fur bag next to me. I do believe it is great for bonding, and who can feel unsafe with a large dog (or two) resting by your side?

I have never experienced any kind of domineering attitudes from any of the dogs I've had throughout my lifetime due to sleeping in bed, but that just may be how they are. I think IMO if a dog displays dominance it probably has more to do with their personality than simply sleeping with you, but again I could very well be wrong (shh it's only happened once or twice hehe). To each their own and I understand why people don't want their dogs on their furniture/bed but for me... I wonder how anyone could pass up a large, warm, cuddly, soft, fluffy, loving bundle of a living body pillow. :)

My pit bull even has her own pillow, she lays her head on it like a human.

#226 ·
Yes i do. To each his own, but i get annoyed when people say "You shouldn't let your pet on the bed or furniture".. For 1, it's my dog and i let her go where i want, and 2, if you really love them, let them have the same luxuries you do. If you are so worried about hair on the couch or the dog being dirty.. well, they have these things at the store called cleaning supplies and dog shampoo... give them a try! ;)

#236 ·
I agree with this. If we truly love our pets, then why on earth should they too not have the same luxuries as us? Our dear Shih Tzu Chrissy has slept with us for a decade, and it is such a natural, beautiful thing to have her share our bed. I admit things will soon get a bit tight when our new GSD comes home, (two more weeks) but I would be crazy to think that I would ever expect her to not be included in our little nest also. I get a bit bothered by folks who claim it isn't natural, or that it is "dirty" to share our beds with our four legged loved ones, but to each his/her own. It's either we really do love our pets or we don't. Well, no outside doghouse for MY babies, that is for sure!

Glen
Fogo Island, NL

#227 ·
I have to admit both my dogs sleep on the bed with my husband and self. The shepherd, Jake, sleeps on top of the covers and my little Bichon sleeps in the covers between us. Some family think we're crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way. The only thing I wish is that we had a king size bed instead of a queen.

#228 ·
There is an old saying I learned from my mother. "He who lieth with dogs riseth with fleas." While she was referring to the choice of company that people keep, I think it is pretty funny when taken literally.

No dogs in my bed or on the furniture. My house, my rules. I brush enough hair off my GSD each day to clothe an adult rabbit. I SURE don't want all that dog hair in my bed.

#229 ·
There is an old saying I learned from my mother. "He who lieth with dogs riseth with fleas." ONLY IF YOUR DOG HAS FLEAS. While she was referring to the choice of company that people keep, I think it is pretty funny when taken literally.

No dogs in my bed or on the furniture. My house, my rules. I brush enough hair off my GSD each day to clothe an adult rabbit. I SURE don't want all that dog hair in my bed.
It's kool, no one thinks you're a freak if you don't let your dog in the bed with you, or on your furniture. It's highly individual. Maybe, just maybe those who don't allow the dog on furniture or beds are less likely to suffer from blurring the lines between what is canine and what is human. Maybe.

#230 ·
At first Sam slept in his crate as he got older and able to jump on the bed I let him sleep with me. However I wanted to be sure he understood this is my bed not his. He will nap in my bed lay in there and play with a chew toy or cuddle with a cat. If I say down he immediately gets down and if I am in my bed he ask permission before getting on the bed. So he obviously understands this is mommy's but I can use it whenever I want and if she is laying there first I have to ask her to join. And GSD's are great space heaters lol.

#231 ·
First post, dont hold back :p

My 5 month old GSD has his own bed, and uses it most nights, however some nights I need to go to sleep and he just isn't getting bored or comfy, If I let him in my bed with me he goes right to sleep. Now Im aware this might not be the best thing down the road. But if i continue to do this, is it really going to haunt me in the future?

All I can say is once he or she is given the green light to climb aboard "it's over -- you will a 80 lbs.+ GS sleeping partner and if he nibbles on you to get space -- that's not fun either!" Titan enjoys laying in between the wife and I and then he makes his way to the foot of our bed and eventually find his way to the floor --- however I would like to believe that he knows he has a spot on our bed if the floor get's too cold. From my last post --- what King do you know sleeps on the floor?

Attachments

#232 ·
If you're working on training your dog for you to be pack leader then you should not allow them to sleep on your bed. If they are not a dominant dog that is constantly fighting you for the leadership position then it is acceptable for them to be allowed to sleep at the FOOT of your bed but this doesn't apply for more dominant dogs. This way they will respect you as their leader

#238 ·
This depends on the dog. I suspect most dogs don't have the issue of sleeping on the bed = boss of the household. If the dog is pig headed I would imagine that there is more going on than just bed sleeping. The family has to establish that the humans make the rules. They are the benevolent dictators and it serves the dog well to follow the rules.

#233 ·
I'm not going to lie. I can't wait for Scarlet to be old enough to get up and down off the bed safely so she can sleep with me. She's just four and a half months old, so it's going to be awhile.

#234 ·
Ah HA ha ha ha Selzer you beat me to it. Laying down with the dogs only gives you fleas IF THEY HAVE FLEAS. There is no reason in this age for a civilized dog to have fleas.

This morning my alarm went off and my boy crawled up on my chest and gave me the sweetest kisses and then laid on me with a big contented sigh. It was so comfy and nice I snoozed for another half hour with him, eventually he was upside down with his front legs across me in the crook of my arm sleeping like an angel. I love it. It is worth it to me to brush his teeth, make sure his butt is clean, groom him regularly and change the bed a little more often than I might if there weren't dogs using it too. It was the best half hour and the beSt way to start the day, with my sweet hearted boy hugging and kissing me.

#235 ·
I do draw the line at the Pomeranian sleeping on my pillow, which is her preferred spot. This really grosses me out. Especially because she has an uppy tail so I can't get the idea of her bare a** where I put my face BLEH. I do not tolerate this. She knows better than to try and be the princess on my pillow anymore.

#237 ·
Babsy is too old and too fat to climb up into the bed and be my bed warmer. So she has her own bed next to my bed. Quinnie has taken over as the dog who can curl up next to me in bed. I have yet to be offended by her breath, though I have never brushed her teeth. She is young and eats hard kibble and she has pearly white chompers. I leave her butt alone and she leaves my butt alone, and so far, there hasn't been anything negative in that respect. As for hair, well, shepherds shed. It is a fact of life. And when she blows coat, I will have to brush and brush and brush and wonder how the bed managed to get full of hair anyway. I have never heard of dog hair killing anyone, so I am not going to lose the benefit of a 50 pound bed-warmer/cuddle bug, because there may be a hair in my bed. Now if she brought a hare into my bed, we would have to have words.

On that note, Babsy did once. Not a hare, but a hairless baby mouse. She was trying to mother the little thing. It was still alive!!! That was gross. My brother has a cat and his cat lost its bedroom privileges for killing a mouse and bringing it up to the bed, and my brother reached down when he felt something in the bed, and there it was. I asked him, "Did you praise her and tell her what a great hunter she is?" He was not amused. He did NOT praise her for catching and killing the mouse.

Oh and while we are talking about cats, they will recognize the danger of a hornet in the bed and vacate. But they will not warn you of your peril. Monster Kitty wouldn't stay in the bed one night, and just after I started to drift off, I got stung in the ear by a hornet. The darn cat knew it was there. One thing about GSDs, they might try to rescue and foster a mouse, but they will murder bees of every variety.

#239 · (Edited)
My 7 month old male GSD, Sitka, is incredibly attached and likes to be right next to me at all times, including the bed and bathroom! He is in his kennel all day while I'm at work, so I don't mind him sleeping out of it at night.

He usually jumps into the bed when he sees that's where I'm headed. He'll start out beside me and move to the foot of the bed. Usually though its too hot and he is panting like crazy, so if he doesn't jump down on his own I'll give him the command (or a little push :p) and he'll sleep on the floor next to me or in his kennel.

In the morning when he hears me rustling around or sees my phone light up he jumps right back up and usually flops down beside with his head on my body somewhere.

I haven't noticed any dominance issues at all, though he's never been a very dominant dog. I think he just likes to be near me. I am very quick to establish that it is my bed though - no spot stealers here!

I'm single now so it's just Sitka and I 99% of the time... it will be interesting to see what happens if I get into a relationship and there's another male in bed...

Has anyone encountered dominance/jealousy issues from this (ie: new human partners)?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.