German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog Parks - Good? Bad? Indifferent?

43K views 163 replies 109 participants last post by  Bentwings1 
#1 ·
A poster on another thread had posted about an incident at a dog park and did not want her thread turned into a bashing thread. Perfectly understandable.

Dog Parks are a hot issue, not just for dog owners that want to socialize and exercise our dogs but also for municipalities that have them.

I live in a small town and we do not have a dog park. Nearest park is 100 miles away, so I would not use one cause I cannot regularly use one. I have on occassion stopped in when in Tulsa and it is very quiet.

Would I ever be a regular user? Probably not. They scare me.

I have 3 GSD's.(would never take more than one a time if I went). They are large dogs and they have a reputation as a breed. My dogs are well socialized and very well trained as evidence by the titles in front and behind their names (not bragging). They get along with other dogs and other people. They are not aggressive.

I think the idea behind dog parks is sound but sometimes the philosophy is not. I would be so afraid of other dogs causing issues adn my dogs getting caught up in it and thne being blamed due to breed. I would also not want to see injury if above happened - to my dog or another.

I have always found friendly dogs for my dogs to play with. They do play with friends dogs pretty often. They also have each other and a large yard.

I think for people that have no other options a well run park might be okay but I am not sure I want my dogs there.

Any one else??

See less See more
#108 ·
No for me. Newlie can be reactive, although not always. I think it has something to do if he feels challenged or not. But even if he wasn't, I don't think I would take him. It seems to me that things are always fine and everybody has a good time until suddenly, one day, it's not. And there is no going back once something happens, whether your dog is the aggressor or the other dog. And it won't matter if a smaller dog is biting your dog's face off, if your dog reacts, he will get the blame.

#109 ·
I think there is a tendency to make a standard of behavior that is acceptable with respect to our dogs and if dogs fall on the other side of that standard, then there is a flaw in them. This is not necessarily so.

Not every GSD dislikes dog parks, some can do very well running and playing with other dogs. But, that does not mean those that just do not care for the ramped up activity with strange dogs are flawed. It is kind of like me saying that if you do not like roller coasters, or bicycling, or roller skating you are flawed. But I am not flawed if I don't like running or playing basketball or tennis. Some dogs just don't care for that scene, just like I don't like night clubs.

And then there is the rest of it where you can't tell about other owners, and their dogs and all that.

#110 ·
A local animal control officer told me in no uncertain terms that most dog parks are full of idiots that can't control their dogs, and suggested that it's in my own best interest to walk my dog elsewhere.

There are times I go to dog-friendly parks (ie. trails), beaches and the like, but never again to an enclosed "dog park."

#113 ·
The dog parks I go to are full of mostly wonderful people with very well trained and socialized dogs. We have professional dog trainers, people who train their dogs in IPO and PPD and people that just have good dogs that are well behaved and well disciplined frequenting the local dog parks. People who don't watch their dogs or have dogs that are wild and out of control are a near myth in my area regarding dog parks. The dogs have a great time and are well exercised. Anytime there is a problem, it can normally be traced back to toys, treats or Pit Bulls.

After many years of successfully frequenting many different dog parks, I would not hesitate to recommend them. I would not pay much attention to all the negative responses of people who have never used dog parks vs the many who actually have extensive experience with them.
I think these things have to do a lot with your location. In our location, an animal control officer does not need any education or experience with anything save our county alone. Our county doesn't even have a dog park. So, listening to an animal control officer here really doesn't mean you have someone who knows what they are talking about on the subject. But if they do, it could be just for the area they are familiar with. We do not even have any government subsidized shelter here.

Other places have parks and recreation that put money into dog parks, and shelters and probably have requirements for an animal control officer, like some police training, conflict resolution, animal behavior, etc. You may also have parks that have stricter controls on who uses them and what behaviors will get you removed, and then they may actually enforce that.

I think it just depends, neighborhood to neighborhood.

#111 ·
The dog parks I go to are full of mostly wonderful people with very well trained and socialized dogs. We have professional dog trainers, people who train their dogs in IPO and PPD and people that just have good dogs that are well behaved and well disciplined frequenting the local dog parks. People who don't watch their dogs or have dogs that are wild and out of control are a near myth in my area regarding dog parks. The dogs have a great time and are well exercised. Anytime there is a problem, it can normally be traced back to toys, treats or Pit Bulls.

After many years of successfully frequenting many different dog parks, I would not hesitate to recommend them. I would not pay much attention to all the negative responses of people who have never used dog parks vs the many who actually have extensive experience with them.

#117 ·
my experience at dog parks have been positive. people clean up after their dog, no disease traced to dog park and have seen a nice variety of breeds. no issues in close to 15 years. feel free to google wantage nj dog park. as for the article, most every neg listed can happen on a dog walk.

#118 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cesar recommends dog parks? On what basis?
Millions of folks watch his show! I don't know that he has actually "endorsed" Dog Parks! At the end of most episodes they conclude with the now friendly rehabbed dog running in the Dog Park and happily playing with other dogs!

"Kinda like "Monkey see Monkey do," Alpha Rolling anybody??

For the record I did hear he regrets having endorsed that technique, although most likely he not endorse it for his followers to do themselves?? (note the disclaimer.) Still they have to put stickers on hair dryers so people dont use them in bath tubs!

But what happens when the next bad owner comes in with an equally out of controlled dog and get's into with one of Cesar's rehabs?? Does he make a return call to them if the rehabbed dogs has a relapse?? Am I the only one in America (the world??) that ask that question?? To both I have to say ... I don't know???

If you base your opinion on dog parks on the ability of JQP to control their dogs, then please explain to me the difference between JQP taking their dog to a dog park or JQP allowing their dog to run free or walk their dog on the streets? If JPQ can't control their dog at a dog park, then surely they lack that ability when in home territory, even if it is going out to get the mail and the dog slipping out the door as you walk by. A dog attack is a dog attack regardless of where it occurs.
Yes ... I would luv to see me make that argument also??? Unfortunately I cannot.

JQP is nothing if not consistent, in there "inability" to control "problem dogs!" My utter content for the "ignorant" is well founded! My second puppy Stewie Boxer/APBT 12 weeks at the time, was on leash on the sidewalk to my right. We were walking along and I was doing what I do scan forward and behind, look for open garage doors and people in there front yard and keep my ears open, I am actively looking for loose dogs! Oh yeah and two houses from home!

We were walking by another house, when I "hear" people yelling and a front screen door slam open?? I turn and I see a 90 lb APBT making a beeline for my puppy! In one smooth motion I sung my puppy behind me and faced that dog down! He was not getting to my puppy without a fight!! He paused confused not really seeing me, he was locked on my puppy, and I blocked his target! That gave his "clueless" owners a chance to scoop him up!

I think the guy kicked the dog as he got him back into the house?? Most likely that guy and that dog were regulars at the Dog Park in San Jose??? I have no idea, I did not know where any local Dog Parks were??

I'll grant that perhaps that author is doing a bit of an over reach??
But by and large most of the "hard core" no Dog Parks no "unknown dogs" folks are primarily concerned with aggression in unstable dogs being owned by unstable clueless dog owners, who do take those dogs to "Dog Parks."

Dog Parks are an avoidable situation. A dog out of the blue on a local walk may or may not be?? The price to keep your dog safe is "constant vigilance!" And "not" putting them at risk of the ignorant helps out in that regard. I have no problem with that myself.

In the past year, I have had three attacks on my dogs, one right in front of my house, one in a dog park, and one in an ON leash area in a park. I know it is deeper than that, but based on those attacks, two out of three did NOT occur in a dog park but in other areas being portrayed in this article as safe. I think not and to say so is not just misleading but potentially dangerous. It gives people a false sense of security.
Think I just covered that??
Anyone that has a false sense of security ...won't now!

Besides, what makes you so sure that another dog is determined to bite your dog unless the dog is a) possibly dog aggressive so is not a dog park candidate (among many other possibilities, of course), or b) my biggest concern would be a problem owner.
I have no idea what the other dogs intent is?? Not really my concern, my intent is that they don't reach my dogs without my "assessment" first. The "other" dog is what determines my response.

And of course a Dog Aggressive dog should not be at a dog park! I posted a link to "Three Dogs who should not be at a Dog Park" most likely the people that most need to know it, only discover it, after a problem, if they care at all! The victims will look for solutions the habitual perpetrators won't! My dogs are not going to be stepping stones on someone's path to self awareness!

By default if a dog is out of control and being put in a position where he can practice bad behaviors the "owner is "unaware." My "goal" is to help others avoid them. Staying out of Dog Parks is a pretty good first step. :)

It is no secret among dog park enthusiasts that a leashed dog in an unleashed area is usually attached to a problem owner, not the other way around.
No doubt and depending on where you live those would likely be owners with Concealed Carry Permits?? Dogs aren't the only danger in Dog Parks!

Out of the Boxer encounters you mention"We" shattered that! : :)ed, I would be very curious about the circumstances. Where there treats involved? How about toys? Seriously, how did a dog come to lose both eyes in a dog fight?
The dog that was blinded was at a Dog Park. I know because she said so! I remember that one because it happened before "I" posted my warning! I hesitated for a day or so because I did not want to be a PIA! I went to post it, and I saw what had happened! I took that one personally! :(

The second one I just saw on face book! A go fund me to raise the funds for the surgery. One eye lost and skull damage! No details, other than a dog attacked her puppy. Don't know if it was a Dog Park a Stray or a "I thought my dog was friendly" encounter gone horribly wrong??

When people have had there dogs maimed they don't really want to talk about it. :(

*** Post over 3000 words long!! Truncated by ADMIN ***

#119 · (Edited by Moderator)
Millions of folks watch his show! I don't know that he has actually "endorsed" Dog Parks! At the end of most episodes they conclude with the now friendly rehabbed dog running in the Dog Park and happily playing with other dogs!

"Kinda like "Monkey see Monkey do," Alpha Rolling anybody??

For the record I did hear he regrets having endorsed that technique, although most likely he not endorse it for his followers to do themselves?? (note the disclaimer.) Still they have to put stickers on hair dryers so people dont use them in bath tubs!

But what happens when the next bad owner comes in with an equally out of controlled dog and get's into with one of Cesar's rehabs?? Does he make a return call to them if the rehabbed dogs has a relapse?? Am I the only one in America (the world??) that ask that question?? To both I have to say ... I don't know???

Yes ... I would luv to see me make that argument also??? Unfortunately I cannot.

JQP is nothing if not consistent, in there "inability" to control "problem dogs!" My utter content for the "ignorant" is well founded! My second puppy Stewie Boxer/APBT 12 weeks at the time, was on leash on the sidewalk to my right. We were walking along and I was doing what I do scan forward and behind, look for open garage doors and people in there front yard and keep my ears open, I am actively looking for loose dogs! Oh yeah and two houses from home!

We were walking by another house, when I "hear" people yelling and a front screen door slam open?? I turn and I see a 90 lb APBT making a beeline for my puppy! In one smooth motion I sung my puppy behind me and faced that dog down! He was not getting to my puppy without a fight!! He paused confused not really seeing me, he was locked on my puppy, and I blocked his target! That gave his "clueless" owners a chance to scoop him up!

I think the guy kicked the dog as he got him back into the house?? Most likely that guy and that dog were regulars at the Dog Park in San Jose??? I have no idea, I did not know where any local Dog Parks were??

I'll grant that perhaps that author is doing a bit of an over reach??
But by and large most of the "hard core" no Dog Parks no "unknown dogs" folks are primarily concerned with aggression in unstable dogs being owned by unstable clueless dog owners, who do take those dogs to "Dog Parks."

Dog Parks are an avoidable situation. A dog out of the blue on a local walk may or may not be?? The price to keep your dog safe is "constant vigilance!" And "not" putting them at risk of the ignorant helps out in that regard. I have no problem with that myself.

Think I just covered that??
Anyone that has a false sense of security ...won't now!

I have no idea what the other dogs intent is?? Not really my concern, my intent is that they don't reach my dogs without my "assessment" first. The "other" dog is what determines my response.

And of course a Dog Aggressive dog should not be at a dog park! I posted a link to "Three Dogs who should not be at a Dog Park" most likely the people that most need to know it, only discover it, after a problem, if they care at all! The victims will look for solutions the habitual perpetrators won't! My dogs are not going to be stepping stones on someone's path to self awareness!

By default if a dog is out of control and being put in a position where he can practice bad behaviors the "owner is "unaware." My "goal" is to help others avoid them. Staying out of Dog Parks is a pretty good first step. :)

No doubt and depending on where you live those would likely be owners with Concealed Carry Permits?? Dogs aren't the only danger in Dog Parks!

The dog that was blinded was at a Dog Park. I know because she said so! I remember that one because it happened before "I" posted my warning! I hesitated for a day or so because I did not want to be a PIA! I went to post it, and I saw what had happened! I took that one personally! :(

The second one I just saw on face book! A go fund me to raise the funds for the surgery. One eye lost and skull damage! No details, other than a dog attacked her puppy. Don't know if it was a Dog Park a Stray or a "I thought my dog was friendly" encounter gone horribly wrong??

When people have had there dogs maimed they don't really want to talk about it. :(

*** Original Truncated by ADMIN ***

#121 ·
Depends on the park and size of area. The smaller area ones with lots of dogs can be a real problem. Too many loose dogs unsupervised can lead to dog fights. Fights can turn into dog aggression problems with your dog. They can be bad. I forget the parks names now, but the Mississauga area had several large parks that you could be off leash at. One near the lakeshore was huge and fully fenced. It was spread out maybe 100 acres. You could be alone and let the dogs run around. You might bump into a dog or two loose, but it wasn't a dangerous pack. A big park that allows off leash dogs can be good. I just don't like small areas with packs of dogs.

#122 ·
Always, always depends on the park, people certain people (and types of people) gravitate towards certain parks. There is one that is probably 1/4 mile from one of the interstates that I have to pass often and I always see about 20-30 dogs in a 1 acre area. While the location sounds terrible, the spacing sounds terrible, from the looks of it (I've never been inside this particular one myself) people just keep everybody leashed up and it's mostly just a spot for people to go and talk among themselves and dogs are kept close to their owners, everybody always looks relaxed (or so it seems from a distance), and it's really not a place to run around and play, just, meet.

Then you have a couple other parks that are huuuuuuuuge around here, if your dog took off like a shot, even though there are tall fences, there are spots where you will probably be searching for him/her because of all the brush. You see people bring their dogs in, unleash them, the person sits down and the dog takes off like a shot; and to no surprise there are some aggressors in there and the big dog is more likely the one they will blame something happens.

Yeah, there are some good ones, even good small ones. There are just some places that I will avoid. Do you research, act accordingly.

#123 ·
Like everyone else has said, it all depends on the park. We have a dog park at a state park that's near by. It's actually 2 fairly large spaces, with tall chain link fencing around it. It's subdivided by a chain fence, with small dogs (under 40 pounds) to one side, and everyone else to the other side. Fresh water is provided on each side. The people I meet respect the park and keep it clean.

Also, the park behind my house welcomes leashed dogs and provides doggie poo bags and receptacles for disposal. Dog training is conducted every Tuesday at the pavilion. They're currently setting up the drive through Christmas decorations, but we walk it every year with our dogs. The people taking donations at the exit always have doggie cookies for our guys.

#124 ·
I know this is going to sound bitter but I personally hate going to dog parks for the social aspect of it. There are some great parks that I have found where everyone is in the same boat as me and just wants to enjoy watching their dog play and work on their socialization all I am saying is be prepared to meet some nut bars and bad dogs.

I can't go to one park because of a regular who brings his little Boston Terrier mix who goes after my dog every single time.

I also have encountered a lot of dog walkers who bring dog's into the park they don't really know and on top of it all will try to promote their business by schmoozing with you. The same applies to some dog trainers, some are really cool and will give you tips but others will just be there to show off their work and tell you whats wrong with your dog but give you no insight on how to fix the problem. It's just a matter of finding the right park that works for you and your dog. Good luck! :)

#125 ·
there's one a few blocks away thats more of a touristy dog park, i tend to keep mine out of there unless there's less than 5 dogs in there. also not a fan of community water bowls. twice i've had expensive vet visits, 1 for catching roundworm and the other for coccidia. roya seems to be more interested in me playing with her than other dogs playing with her anyway.

#126 ·

I love this article posted on Leeburg.com

Using Dog Parks to Proof Obedience with Michael Ellis

Dog parks can be dangerous but they can serve a purpose. We use dog parks as distractions in order to proof our obedience exercises. In this video, Michael Ellis demonstrates how to utilize dog parks for this without putting his dog in harm's way. Watch as Michael works his dog, Pi, on positions and heeling while 2 dogs are running and fence fighting right inside the park. Michael never goes inside the dog park, instead he stays outside the fence and uses the other dogs to proof his obedience through distractions.​
Introduction

This article will detail three topics concerning dog parks:

1. The original purpose of dog parks
  2. The problems and dangers of taking your dog to a dog park.
  3. How to prepare for a dog park
  4. How to handle and protect your dog while in the dog park

The Purpose Of A Dog Park

It would seem pretty obvious that a dog park is a place for people who don't have a lot of personal space to take their dog for exercise. The perfect example would be apartment dwellers or people who live in big cities.
The second and possible more common reason (which I disagree with) is that a dog park is a place for a dog to socialize with other dogs.
The Dangers of Dog Parks

Every couple of days I get an email from someone asking about problems with their dogs being attacked when they are on walks or running loose at one of the local parks that many cities setup.
People also question me on how to deal with overly aggressive dogs that belong to other pet owners. They also question me about their own dogs not trying to defend themselves when approached by a seemingly aggressive dog. Some people want to know if they should just let the dogs work these problems out themselves.
I want to go on record as saying that the concept of "Dog Parks" was well intended but a bad idea, especially when dogs are allowed to run off-leash. The main problems all stem from people who don't understand and have not established pack structure with their dogs. This means their dogs are out of control.
The average dog owner does not take the time to understand much less install pack structure. They don't know how strong the pack instincts are in their family pets. These drives can and often do click into high gear when a dog is taken into a park with strange dogs.
When a new dog comes into a park that other dogs visit every day the new visitor is often seen an an intruder into "the personal territory" of the regular visitor. More often than not they are not seen as new found friend. This often leads to either to territorial aggression, dominance aggression or fear aggression.

Leeburg.com

#127 ·
Hey some new "anti" Dog Park stuff I have not seen! THe trainer thing is pretty hysterical.
And rather off putting I would imagine??

Never thought about the water bowl, thing and I have not seen that Leerburg article before?? Nice observations and advise there.

I have nothing to add Dog Park wise, clearly they vary by location but as MAWL so accurately pointed out most "situations" occur close to home!

So far for me it's been seven in total (non contact) they don't get past me thus far. But "Rocky" seems to be a stray dog magnetic?? 5 attempts in the last few years and four "attempts" in the last eight months!

The last one was my neighbors dog who ran across the street and got in Rockys face! Non conflict, the dog was just poorly trained and judging by the look on her face when she got "really" close?? She questioned her "choices" as "Rocky" must have looked a lot smaller from across the street?? :)

But that was today and a two week ago's a ****zu made a suicide run at Rocky! Door dasher, I tried to spin Rocky to the outside towards the street but at 116 lbs that did not happen! But at some point that dog rethought its choices and slowed enough for the owners to scoop him up! As usual "Rocky" was like no big deal but I don't like being charged by strays!

Long way of saying ... keep your guard up near home!

#128 ·
Leerburg wrote: "The main problems all stem from people who don't understand and have not established pack structure with their dogs. This means their dogs are out of control."

Despite his experience and his videos dedicated to establishing pack structure and dog training, I actually find it amusing that Leerburg also states that his personal dogs very rarely ever let loose and when they are, they always have an e collar on.

It would appear that some of Leerburg's philosophies are fundamentally flawed.

#137 ·
LAPD trains their K9s pretty well and they are all required to be wearing e collars due to the litigious nature of our society.

Working dog trainers use e collars a lot. I don't know why Ed's personal dogs wear them, but I don't think that alone is an indictment of his training methods. There are plenty of other reasons to be critical of Ed, but I don't think the e collars are evidence of failure.

#130 ·
I like dog parks myself. But I admit, a lot of them are not maintained very well. As long as the dogs that go there are pretty friendly, it's a great place to let your pup socialize. Just wish some owners that do have aggressive dogs would keep a better eye on their own to better help prevent some of the fights you see.

#135 ·
Love this thread. I don't go to the dog park anymore because of two reasons. The first being the amount of horribly trained dogs with owners who are just as bad. If my dog gets attacked by one more little fart of a dog I'm going to loooooose it. The other reason I stopped going is because of this weird open invitation to come up to other owners and talk their faces off. I don't mean to be rude, but I have just finished a long day of work and I just want to enjoy my coffee and watching my dog have the time of his life - Telling me about how you discovered your gluten allergy for an hour instead of letting me enjoy my dogs company only makes me hope that you eventually end up eating gluten.

We don't go to the park anymore...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.