German Shepherds Forum banner

If you could change 'anything' about your dog, what would it be?

51K views 163 replies 140 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
I am just curious, and I thought we may be able to help each other with behavioral problems. However, it can be ANYTHING, no matter how big or small. This includes physical traits. Like how I wish Tazor didn't turn into a saddleback...I loved his blanket, but whatever..haha. I also wish his prey drive disappeared as I don't like how he chases my cat in the backyard. Anyway, just wondering.

#2 ·
These are kind of silly things, but the biggest thing would be I wish she was more cuddly. She's very independent and likes her space. I also wish she had some sort of interest in playing fetch.

From a temperament perspective, I wish she wasn't so fearful.

#3 ·
While I love Jazmyn to the max, there are a few things I wish were different:

- She's easily overstimulated & reactive to people & dogs (more so dogs)
- She is a mouthy little diva (I am currently sporting an arm full of bruises)
- She is not very cuddly, and enjoys her space when sleeping

#5 · (Edited)
I love Gaia to death and her little faults just make her that much more special...I'm sure my parents said this about me growing up too but in saying that if I could change anything I'd make her less nosey. I know it's an innate behaviour of hers but it would be nice, just once, to be able to try to sneak to the bathroom in the middle of the night without her waking up and getting tangled in my feet as I feel along the walls so she can follow me and make sure the boogie monster isn't going to get me.

Other than that my little diva girl is perfect in my eyes, there are some small things but those will change with more training.

#8 ·
I'm the opposite now...about once a week, he doesn't go to the bathroom with me..I'm offended that he will leave me unguarded with the toilet monster, its also lonely, haha.

I see a lot of cuddle issues. Tazor is independent so..when I open my arms and say Hugzzz..he obeys..lol. kind of like when you corner your husband in a hallway. Tazor also knows 'dance'. He jumps up feet over my shoulders and eye to eye..so far..just a waltz.

#7 ·
Pyrrha is such a sweetheart and she has hardly any vices at all, but I wish she was more confident in general.

Specifically, I wish that:

* She wasn't still timid and fearful around my husband.
* She was more relaxed and happy around small children.
* She wasn't so scared of other dogs we meet on-leash.

#9 ·
:cry:Tazor: I had to laugh about this, because I have this daily. I would feel fortunate if I could at least get a few times a day being able to tackle the toilet monster by myself. LOL. I have two pups a lab and a gsp that think they need to race me to the bathroom and compete on who is going to be able to be under Mommy's feet while she is on the toilet. Then on those very special days - LOL they grace me with both of them joining me and making me feel so protected with them both being under me. I had to add a picture of this- You can see the toilet and then one is on each side. lol.
This would be my top on the list I wish they would change.
I also wish I could have a phone cord and a computer cord out without thinking it is going to be destroyed by a GSP. - I have went through 3 phone cords and 1 computer cord in 6 months so far,

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Face Hair Black Eyebrow Skin

#11 ·
I wish Delgado was more confident with other dogs. He's handled malls, people, gun shots, outdoor concerts, and even fireworks without flinching but put him cold turkey in a group of 5 dogs which he doesn't know and he either runs or gets defensive

If he's introduced one or two at a time no issue, or if already knows one or two it's fine but if they're all strangers he doesn't like it. Still working on it...

#12 ·
I wish Stosh wasn't so confident. He seems to have no fear or sense of caution so I worry that he'll hurt himself [like when he hurls his body off the 5'ft high deck] or get into a dangerous situation [like when he flushed wild hogs out of the brush]. And when we're herding, he's so confident that he knows best that he doesn't always want to do it my way. He's very cuddly and affectionate so I lucked out there.

#14 ·
I love my boy Xerxes and my girl Jasira to death but:
1) I wish Xerx would quit picking up and eating junk outside. ( He eats the pea gravel in his outdoor kennel so i can't put him out there.)
2) I wish Jas wouldn't lose her mind sometimes and take off running when out exercising.She ran across a busy road again./sigh

#17 ·
Ooooh..boy...Tazor just destroyed our dryer vent.. its mangled. And he pulled the foil-ey hose out and turned it into a 8 ft wire with shredded tinfoil streamers....I would like to add...be more selective when choosing toys. He is also digging a giant hole next to the basement door. I would stop him, but now I am just too curious as to what he is looking for...waiting for a skull to pop out from between his legs. :) Still looking for excuses to give my husband who hasnt seen it yet.

#19 ·
With Kya I wish she was more cuddly. She is always by my side, and follows me everywhere but when it comes to snuggling, NO way. She will not be on the furniture with you, bed with you, if you sit down next to her she moves a little farther away. She will come up and get her "loves" then go lay down.

Milla is pretty good I just wish she would focus a little better (she's young I know she will get there) and leave my cats alone! She thinks everything/one wants to be covered in her kisses, the cats DO NOT appreciate it.

#20 ·
I love Rio but she is very trying at times :eek:

If I could change anything about her it would be:

- Stop her whining
- Get her to recall off lead (we're still on the long line!)
- Stop her following the kitten around constantly

That would make life a whole lot more enjoyable for the both of us.

#25 ·
Seizures. I wish that she didn't have them. The meds make her suffer from Ataxia (loss of muscle contol) and she's not got the stamina like she should.
But, she's a fun, fun, dog......we still get "flying monkey" days....even at 5.

#26 ·
Change? Her finicky eating habits and her nervyness (particularly around adults, which has improved, but is not yet where I want it).

She is very vocal and opinionated and passive-aggressive (insists on walking a head length ahead of me, even tho she knows good and well what "heel" means.) But this is endearing, and falls under that "pick your battles" rule for me, so I let it go.

My wife would want her to be more cuddly. Liesl is independent, and definitely prefers me to my wife. My wife says when I'm not home Liesl sits around morosely and whines softly at the door.

#27 ·
I wish Bailey wouldn't startle as easy as he does, especially in the dark. (We need to get out at nighttime more often, it seems.)

I wish Tucker wouldn't act so crazy. He scares people, but he is incredibly sweet and loves people.

I wish Suri didn't think she must be pack cop.

I wish Dolly wasn't almost completely blind. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.