German Shepherds Forum banner

If you could change 'anything' about your dog, what would it be?

51K views 163 replies 140 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
I am just curious, and I thought we may be able to help each other with behavioral problems. However, it can be ANYTHING, no matter how big or small. This includes physical traits. Like how I wish Tazor didn't turn into a saddleback...I loved his blanket, but whatever..haha. I also wish his prey drive disappeared as I don't like how he chases my cat in the backyard. Anyway, just wondering.

#118 ·
I wish my Raven was a little less of a drama queen - I feel so sorry for her during thunderstorms - she panics and tries to get out of the house. I've tried Thundershirts, Xanax, holistic remedies - nothing really works - she almost needs to get "knocked out."

#120 ·
I wish my Raven was a little less of a drama queen - I feel so sorry for her during thunderstorms - she panics and tries to get out of the house. I've tried Thundershirts, Xanax, holistic remedies - nothing really works - she almost needs to get "knocked out."

How about trying to condition her to storms via thunderstorm recordings...Use melatonin about an hr. before...you would start off on the lowest setting on stereo, barely audible, ignoring the sounds, work on training and positive reinforcement, playing, treats - whatever works...that way she can have a positive association....the melatonin will help put her in a more relaxed state.

Do this for 1-2 mins, a couple times a day, then up to 5 mins. then turn up the sound slightly, but only when she is comfortable at the first level.

Just a thought

#122 ·
It would be great if Hunter stopped burping his raw meat burps in my face affectionately after every meal. This morning was raw ground duck... it was pretty offensive.

#140 · (Edited)
still my thing as well...hate to see the dog age/though I love seniors, just want my dogs with me longer than what their lifespans are. I can't imagine life without Karlo in it. And I wish Gambit would stay a baby puppy for more than a blink of an eye.

#129 ·
I would love it if Dasher could use his hidden off switch a bit more frequently. Maybe he is drivey, but I really feel he is more just high energy. He needs to be told firmly to lay down. After a 3 hour hike. At age 7. He has a fantastic temperament overall and Im very happy with him. But....I would really like him to be much calmer when I would like to pet him or we are just relaxing in evening.
If I could change one thing about Sasha, it would be the whining. Its not constant, but I really dislike whining. Big reason I chose a male puppy!
Dasher is much more high strung than her, but rarely whines.

#137 ·
My guy is a rescue from a native reserve so he has some possession issues with his water bottle at the dog park and tasty long lasting treats, we are working on it but it's one of those things that takes awhile but he has gotten a million times better. Other than that, the shedding! Sooooo much haaaaaairrrrrr

#141 ·
If my dog could lose 4 to 6 inches in height and 15 to 20 pounds. I keep him lean, I wasn't expecting him to grow to such a big dog. Oh, and perfectly behaved ALL the time - we're working on it. I don't so much mind the shedding, the alternative would be a bald dog.

#142 ·
For Dash, it would definitely be a better off switch. He needs to be told to settle often and even so is not in a calm relaxed state. Also wish he could be calm and gentle when I pet him. I tried not petting him unless he was calm, but he would get overly excited and very rough pushing against me each time. So I only give him a quik pat for affection and he gets brushed regularly.
Sasha I would like if she was less food obsessed! And the excited whining I could live without!

#146 ·
I've only had my German Shepherd mix for about a month-and-a-half I really wish you would stop biting my feet. All of my neighbors think I'm an awful when I put her in her crate because she either barks or cries unless I'm in the room with her. Because we are still working on basic commands I cannot do everything with her because of my disabilities and sometimes I need to create her until I finish a task that she hasn't been trained to do yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.