German Shepherds Forum banner

If you could change 'anything' about your dog, what would it be?

51K views 163 replies 140 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
I am just curious, and I thought we may be able to help each other with behavioral problems. However, it can be ANYTHING, no matter how big or small. This includes physical traits. Like how I wish Tazor didn't turn into a saddleback...I loved his blanket, but whatever..haha. I also wish his prey drive disappeared as I don't like how he chases my cat in the backyard. Anyway, just wondering.

#31 ·
Both my dogs have issues that have taught me a lot more than if they had been perfect. So I would not change anything about them, except for one thing. I really, really wish Niko would leave my cat alone!!!! :( Can't seem to get through to him that the cat is not interesting, does not taste good, and is not fun to follow around and try to lick.

#32 ·
shedding

i would change the fur shedding

no matter how much i brush, no matter how often i sweep, no matter how many rules i make (no kitchen/no couch/ no bed) every day i find a ball of fur in a corner somewhere ._. and every day a piece of fur will fly into my food (ugh)

#33 ·
i would change the fur shedding

no matter how much i brush, no matter how often i sweep, no matter how many rules i make (no kitchen/no couch/ no bed) every day i find a ball of fur in a corner somewhere ._. and every day a piece of fur will fly into my food (ugh)
Ain't that the truth... goodness. I just moved and before Titan even came to the house there was already his hair every where from just moving furniture in.. ugh.. I would change the shedding FOR SURE! haha

I would also change some little things:

-his tail chasing.. he's neurotic sometimes and it's obnoxious. MUCH better than when he was a puppy.. but still does it when he's anxious or excited.
-I would lower his prey drive a little. I wish he wasn't so obsessed with fetch. It's his crack and quite possibly the only thing he lives for. Haha. There's not a moment in time that he is not up for a game of fetch or not trying to get you to play with him.. so he is toy restricted, now..
-I would also change his manners on when we meet new people. Tries to rip my arm off to meet them and high pitch whines if I don't let him meet them (we are working on that, ha!)
-The final thing is, I would change his perspective on my BF. Dan has so much love ot give him and Titan wants none.. he doesn't like attention. Just fetch. It makes Dan sad when he isn't able to give Titan attention.

#36 ·
The only thing I would change about mine is her jumping. She has improved greatly and its still a work in progress. But she still will jump on my dad every time she sees him and all she wants is kisses:)

#38 ·
I would change his age back to 1 yr. old again (when I got him)
This so I could have a "do over", to correct the defiencies and illness and imbalances before they could happen...this to undo all the discomfort that he has lived with that he couldn't tell me. To give back the time to him lost fretting over his health and researching and researching and researching. To give him laughter with belly rubs, not tears begging him not to be sick. To give him better emotional balance so he didn't feel the need to be strong for me.

If I had taken what I my gut instinct was at the time (almost 7yrs. ago) and listened to it and did what I do and know now...I could have prevented a lot of heartache, unnecessary expence and maybe disease/illness. At least I could have prevented the time I have lost looking for answers.

1 yr. old - soft stool, mild winter itch - Fed Kirkland (Costco) lamb or chicken (never liked either - would barely eat.

1.5 yr. old - convinced to vaccinate (incl lepto) when brought in for soft volumous stool, Heartworm prevention started (end of July) - vet claims chicken allergy

2 yr. old - soft stool - winter itch worse- fed Nutro - didn't like - barely eat
approx. time occasional vomit yellow bile - vet claims chicken allergy, Hills script diet for hydrolized protein

2.5 yrs. - switched food to Royal Canin German Shepherd (for hydrolized protein), likes it - stool firm - winter itch starting sooner - Heartworm prevention

3 yrs. - toe infection from cut under nail - winter itch worse, minor trauma/fur loss to backs of ears - poop good, 3 rounds of amoxicillion at 3 weeks each (stopped third round when vomited), 1st round for toe infection, 2 and 3 for supposed "prevention of secondary bacterial infection from scratching ~ SOFT stool starts again, $75 for "special cream" for ears re: secondary bacterial infection" and a steroid shot to the butt...vet claims time for vaccination and is perfectly fine to administer at same time as Steroid shot, 3 rounds of antiB's, just came off Heartworm, has diarreah, winter itch and yellow bile vomit (occasionaly) - appetite so/so...Vet claims allergy to "Chicken" and to switch to Hill's script. diet (which is chicken)...or try Limited Ingredieant Diet (L.I.D.)

3.25 yrs. - search is on for an LID...landed on NAtural Balance - Potato & Duck - fed for 1 year. Diarreah returns large, vomiting yellow bile, still winter itch, skin of inner thighs and groin turn black - hates food but gains 20 lbs., Super edgey and mistrusting of most people and all dogs - Angry dog. Sick dog. Given Heartworm protection in the spring...Basic blood work _ HURRAY! (says vet) blood values are good! but still a Sick dog.

3.75 yrs - (fall 2008) stool check x 2 tests, no worms, Diarrhea medicine (Tylosan) 1 month - no improvement - vet suggets another drug. I suggest deworming anyhow re: goose poop. Still on Heartworm meds. Vet says vaccinate - I DECLINE! - Investigation of symptoms w/o vets help, start Digetive Enzyme, MSM, Kelp, and multi vitamin and mineral suppliment - Black Groin starts to recess (black is symptom of Thyroid issue), Almost back to flesh tone within 3 months (KELP!)

Jan. 2009 - 4.25 yrs old, Had decided screw the food roller coaster ride. Went to Holistic (integrative) Vet...30 yr. Veteren and DVM.
Advises...switch to Raw - super low fat, no grains, no potato, NEVER vaccinate again, DO NOT use Heartworm treatment, keep up the kelp and add astragalus root to boost the immune system and change d-zyme from plant based to a pancreatin blend.
POOP, 75% improvement immediately. Looses 20 lbs slowly over next year, attitude better, no black groin, likes to eat, no more vomiting...on the path to wellness.

2012 - Well it still isn't perfect, still gets winter itch not as bad though (scabby ears treated with $5.00 bottle of witch hazel, still has trouble with digestive tract, but different (other causes - likely giardia damage to small intestine - working on repair, a friends stupid move).
Cause of winter itch (?), likely the inability to uptake and utilize fats (including fish body oils), Suggestion from another Holistic Vet - use coconut oil, digests differently than animal fats (incorporating). Possible EPI or Pancreatis and/or hypothyroidism(? not sure - ran out of money to test)...Managed with diet and suppliments.

Note: had been on fish oil all along. The only natural suggestion from the conventional vet.
Turns out fish oil is not right for him.

Lesson: trust your gut, never vaccinate a sick pet (soft stool, itchy skin or any other signs of illness), never vaccinate multi's, never vaccinate when on any other type of medication including Heartworm, never vaccinate if you are bringing your dog in because "something just doesn't seem right"
Drug companies put inserts in the box - that insert for VETS, says do NOT use at signs of illness...if your VET insists it's fine - Walk (run) out of there!!!

I wish I knew then what I know now

#39 ·
Forgot to mention in all that...
Each brand of dog food (I found out after switching to Raw)
Kirkland,
Nutro,
Royal Canin,
Natural Balance
In his first 3rs. with me had all been on the recall list at some point in that time

I still haven't found a fresh chicken and vegetable recall yet...and its been 3.5 yrs.

#40 ·
If I could change ONE thing.... I would change the Shyness out of Wendy. She is so shy around strangers and strange environments. We try take her everywhere with us - and she still shies away from friendly strangers and kids. She won't even eat when we are out. Doesn't want to come out of the truck when we get somewhere. Is so scared of STROLLERS!

We took her to "World of Pets Expo" in MD and in VA and let her explore, sniff, meet, and relax... She explored, and met other shepherds - but didn't take treats or affection from anyone that wasn't my husband or me. Wendy's trainer was doing a demo and we stopped to say hi - she got no love from Wendy.

She is a hellion at the dog park and has a party during Puppy Play hour at the training center...

I don't even worry about the Pano (growing pains).... That will pass as she finishes her growing, and it gives me a break from the LOOOOONG walks 2x a day!

I just wish she wasn't so shy or timid.....

#42 ·
Less shedding

Less barking. Working on that. ;)

Don't think I can fix the shedding though. If I rake out any more of her coat, she's going to be naked. :eek:

#48 ·
Yes, lifespan! Felix is only 2 and I already don't know what I'll do without him!

Other than that, his shedding. His hair is EVERYWHERE!! His fear of thunderstorms. And his recall. He's getting better though. He very much has "Shiny object syndrome" during training.

#52 ·
I guess I'd also add Felix's inability to realize that he doesn't work for roadside assistance or the car inspection agency. Every time we're driving and theres someone stranded he whimpers as though we need to stop. If there are stationary cars he does a wheel well, door and trunk check free of charge. Not to mention that he barks as individuals that pass us for driving too fast. *SIGH* I love m knuckle head. Ever the worry wart!

#54 ·
Hogging the bed every night. ....You know that feeling when you are half awake and feel like you are about to fall off a cliff.... All my Shepherds have shared the bed, but Jazzy at 5 months takes up the entire bed somehow and I end up having to get her up and repositioned so that I don't get kicked off. Guess she got too much of the snugly bug genes.

#60 ·
You aren't kidding, I woke up with a sore neck from sleeping wrong yesterday morning, while my dog was all sprawled out, resting comfortably! lol

I'd change my dog's health issues and her dog reactivity. I've worked so hard with her, but it just doesn't seem to get any better. I know I'm not the strongest handler, but I don't think it's supposed to be this hard. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.