German Shepherds Forum banner

Owning A Dog Pack

109K views 70 replies 60 participants last post by  ADogCalledQuest 
#1 ·
Do you think that the average person should own more than two dogs,as far as having the ability to control a pack? I know a lot of us up here have way more than two,and manage it well. I have seen a lot of trainers/behaviorists recommend that most people shouldn't have any more than two dogs as pets in their home. I am guessing it's because of all the issues that they encounter with people who can't control their dogs.

#33 ·
I have four and wouldn't do it again. It really is just too much. I love them all dearly, though, so it is what it is. They're all well provided for, health care needs, nutrition needs, exercise, etc... but my needs aren't met. :) I used to be a pretty social person... agh, not so much anymore. I don't have time.

I say have as many dogs as you can manage, provided they're taken care of properly. Even a dog that doesn't get the "proper" amount of time, is a dog not in a shelter facing euth.

#35 ·
With those with more than 3 - how to manage financially (don't answer if you don't feel comfortable) with providing adequate health care and nutrition? I can't imagine paying for more than 3 dogs - especially large dogs!

I fed raw, so even just storing the amount of food needed for all those dogs seems like a big job to me!

Also, with those with multiple dogs in different training venues - how do you manage - time wise (with work and your other dogs?)?

I have one in herding, one in schutzhund and the one in schutzhund is also starting agility in a few weeks... all my time (and money!) is going to this lately or gas money to get there. And now that one is trialing, money is spent on fees and gas to and from trials. I can't imagine doing this with more than 1-2 dogs.

Kudos to those who do it - it's a dream to have more than 2-3 dogs, all involved in different sports, etc... just can't imagine actually doing it right now - especially with working full time.

#36 · (Edited)
I can't feed raw because we barely have enough room in our fridge for people food, let alone bulk orders for 3+ dogs. I use kibble and it costs about $100 a month depending on the brand (I use California Natural, Fromm, and Earthborne Holistics). That feeds three large males ages 2-6. For me the added expense and work of feeding raw is not worth it because all my dogs are healthy, active, don't smell, healthy coats, no tummy problems or allergies. I also feed table scraps and give them raw when it's available (people give me their old venison). To me it's not worth the food costing so much more *and* having to buy a new freezer and deal with storing bulk orders when my dogs can't be any healthier than they already are. Also we travel a lot and raw is not feasible, the dogs would be on kibble every weekend anyway. I don't have room for large coolers in my van since we're already hauling 4-5 dogs and 3 people and where we go does not have coolers/freezer chests either.

Training-wise, the expenses don't really matter because Schutzhund and flyball cost the same whether I have 1 dog or 2 dogs. Only entry fees cost more for multiple dogs. It takes the same amount of gas to get there and back and the same hotel rooms for 1 dog vs 2, 3....

I don't take my dogs to the vet unless they need to go. I do my own heartworm preventative which again costs the same regardless of how many dogs I have because the bottle expires before I can use it all whether I have 3 dogs or 10 dogs.

For the most part, my dogs don't really have their own gear other than they each have a collar with ID plate and their own prong collars. Pan's flyball harness used to be Kenya's and Nikon's flyball harness was Ike's. The dogs "share" leashes, lines, tabs, toys.

If I had less than 3 dogs the most noticeable different would be food cost.

I also foster puppies and might be getting a new foster puppy next week. though they typically come with their own food.

#37 ·
I spend 200 a month on natures balance dog food with 6 . I only have one right now in obeidence classes/agility and that's 110.00 every 6 weeks. Vet bills are the highest cost about 150.00 a month for checkup's and preventivites. That's without anyone having any issues. Toys I buy a couple different things every weekend so they have a box full. Antlers are pretty expensive but last a long time.

#38 · (Edited)
I say have as many dogs as you can manage, provided they're taken care of properly. Even a dog that doesn't get the "proper" amount of time, is a dog not in a shelter facing euth.
This is my feeling. All ours are s/n and taken to the vet if something needs addressed.
I do my own dentals and keep the dog's teeth up, brushing as necessary too, so they don't have to visit a vet for those things.
We are at 9 personal dogs (6 Dachshunds, two are long term fosters due to health issues) and right now, 3 fosters living in our home.
Only two of our dogs are over 20lb, Libby and Ruger.
We feed Kirkland Signature unless we have allergic dogs, then they get Natural Balance and/or Taste of the Wild Pacific stream.

They keep each other company and enjoy one another, but they do need daily snuggles.
Three sleep on my bed, 1 slept on my son's until he moved out, now he's with my daughter who has 3 on her bed now and one on the floor in her room.
That helps us give individual attention at night time, anyway ;)

interrupting behaviors that can lead to problems,
You definitely have to know triggers! Food/begging is the worst here. When we get lazy and let them beg, things can go haywire. Now we stop it before it starts. Breaking their routines helps, if the start to get ocd about something, for instance.

#39 ·
Agree with Liesje. The biggest issue is dog food and treats. I probably spend 300$/month on just food/treats for my 3.

Training isn't an issue because I spend the same time/money to bring one that I spend to bring 3. It's more cost efficient if I bring more! That's my reasoning at least :p

Also the time spent training goes up dramatically. It's not easy with studying, work and life commitments. I definitely put my social life in the back seat. I don't go out as much anymore and don't spend as much time with friends. But I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm trying hard to get my two GSDs their BH and SG before the next one comes along.

As long as you can provide for and support your dogs, there is no reason for anyone else to tell you how many you can and can't have. If the animals are cared for, safe, happy and thriving, who is to say how many is too many? I'll add as many as I feel is right for me.

#41 ·
As long as you can provide for and support your dogs, there is no reason for anyone else to tell you how many you can and can't have. If the animals are cared for, safe, happy and thriving, who is to say how many is too many? I'll add as many as I feel is right for me.
100% agree with this! It's a personal choice and opinion. Everyone is different and everyone's income (and how they spend it) is different. One person's 3 dogs may be another person's 1 dog. I am comfortable with multiple dogs, where as one of my co-workers is stretched with just her 1 dog.

I surely don't want anyone getting into my business with my dogs. Everyone's fed better then most kids out there, they are at the vet when needed, on the best flea/heartworm prevention every month of the year, in training classes with one of the best trainers here in central FL, and are kept very safe and loved like they were our children. I don't believe myself and people like me (and most of us on here) can be compared to joe hoarder with 10 dogs wildly out of control on and off his property producing 5 litters a year. However, for those that wish for tighter controls on this.... that's what will happen if that is set in motion. I don't like the idea of having my life monitored and controlled anymore then it already is.

#40 ·
I have 6 dogs and honestly they are a piece of cake for me, BUT, I am also heavily into horses and have my own horse property so I don't have to exercise my dogs every day, they get plenty on their own just following me around and playing with each other, I have 2 German Shepherds ( one is currently on loan) 3 terriers, and a Chihuahua, when Gavin my show German Shepherd is home we do Schutzhund and hit shows, the Cairn Terriers do occasional Go to Ground competitions and the other Shepherd goes on trail rides with me. I feed my dogs Fromm Gold and buy usually a bag every 5 to 6 weeks, less now that Gavin is gone, I also feed EVO canned meat and one can is split up between all the dogs in their kibble, they also get a plethora of chews, bones and treats, so I spend probably between 200-300 a month. I vaccinate my own dogs as needed and do most of my veterinary care on both my dogs and horses, I don't use Vets unless I need to, I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle basic care, injuries, scrapes etc..

If I didn't have the lifestyle I have, there is no way I would have as many dogs and certainly not the breeds I have, but since I have always been into horses and the outdoors the breeds compliment my lifestyle perfectly, they all get along and I have absolutely no complaints or regrets, I love having multiple dogs, more to love. :)

#42 ·
I don't feed raw because I can't fit an extra freezer in my house, lol. My dogs eat waaaay better than I do. When I worked in a pet supply store the manager loved giving me my paycheck because half of it would go straight back to her! :p

The world of dog sport is an excellent way to buff up on your bartering. I trade work and management for fees; everyone wins. Need someone to set up the lure course field at 4 am in the rain? I'll do it! If you'll eat the cost of my entry and a fun run or two. Need those mats unrolled and the ribbons sorted at 6:30 before vendors arrive? No problem! How about comping my conformation entries? The only thing I haven't been able to barter is use of agility equipment, which I totally understand.

I'm also just a crazy dog person. My life revolves around them. Where I live, what I do (or how many hours I have to be away from them to do it) is all around them. It doesn't work for some/most people to live like that, but it sure does for me. And you don't have to be a hermit to do it; people just seem to understand that if you're going somewhere with them your first question will be 'can I bring a dog?' :)

#43 ·
At one time I had 5 personal dogs,but with my current work schedule I think having the 1 full time dog plus 1 to 3 fosters at any given time,that is enough for me.I am considering adding another personal dog,but that won't be for another few months at least.

Some of my fosters are more needy than others and require more time for training and socialization. As far as food goes,I feed Flint River Ranch and supplement with raw every now and then, so that runs me between $70( if it's just my dog at the time) upwards of $150 per month if I have a few fosters.

Right now our house is a little more quiet with our personal dog and one foster,but that usually doesn't last too long. I try to take a break for a week or two before I take in a new foster,unless it's a true emergency.

#47 ·
It was tough there for a while for us with four dogs and one cat, but ever-since the youngest one, Trintron, got past the six-month-to-one-year-six-month-old super-brat-stage, things have turned out even better than hoped-for. We don't do crates but we do practice NILIF (not hardcore or anything like that).

All of our girls need lots of exercise (physical and mental). On a daily basis, GM and I seek out lots of new challenges-positive outlets for their energy, otherwise we'd be knee-deep in [Beeep] to have them with such a small home and even smaller not fenced-in yard---so training is on-going and kept interesting and most of all: fun. We would all go nutso if there was no fun! All dogs do tracking, agility, obedience, in classes, etc., and we even enrolled in "tricks class" just to keep them challenged in a positively-absolutely-fun way!

We get the comments...you know the kind...."must be a lot of work." And yes it is work....BUT it's not work when it's fun! Here's a photo of Cris (old dog learns new tricks), and Trintron (young bratty princess tilty head), and it's showing how happy GM and I are:

Yep lol that's me and 'good-mikey'.....and just want to add that as much as we get the ...."must be a lot of work" comments...we get even moreso...."They are such great dogs.":wub:

#48 ·
I have 2 and a half dogs.... 2 big dogs, Bailey and Wendy and one small min pin. I also have a 2nd GSD male that stays frequently while his daddy goes TDY.

I can walk all of my dogs by myself anywhere and have them completely in control. They listen and know what I expect. I in turn reward them with chatty banter and lots of yum-yums while we are out impressing the Heck out of all the strangers.... I am 5'3' and skinny - so it's impressive. My husband doesn't get the same reaction when he has them - he doesn't get the control that I have..... But I honestly have worked hard with each one individually to get here... and I put Bailey on a prong collar - she is pig headed and doesn't listen all the time - so the prong collar reminds her I am in control.

Bailey is always looking forward to meeting new people, she is a happy choco lab - so she tends to pull in the direction of people, and I have to watch that - esp. with 2 GSD's walking next to her that can scare most people just by existing!

I only have as many pets as I can handle. If I start to lose control, we have to re-evaluate the situation!

#49 · (Edited)
i found gsds way more work and more expensive than the other breeds i have experience with like pitbull labs, husky but also found them more rewarding, a pack would be really amazing but it would be like owning a horse or something lol would be a dream though.

Would probably be easier with less maintenance breeds i'm guessing.

#51 ·
We have 9 permanent dogs in two homes. Some times more because we occasionally foster, and the wife is always bringing in strays that we care for and re-home. Its a little more than I would like but we are guilty of trying to help them all, almost half are rescues. All dogs are well cared for and see the vet regularly (scheduled check-ups). My only regret is not having enough personal time for all, we of course do what we can to ensure we spend as much time as possible with them :) Props to those out there who also do what they can with rescues and other assistance.

#52 ·
We had 4 dogs until just recently, a German Shepard Lex who we laid to rest about a week ago. A Rottweiller who's 4 years old and a black lab along with a rat terrier mix with something else. They all got along very well except when the little one growled at my Rott, She would explode in rage and tear him a new one. Financially we did it very well. They all are like our kids they are indoor/outdoor dogs mainly indoors. We just stagger their shots each month when they are due. We ffed them kibble and rice and veggies so our bill isnt that bad. But to me If we could and my wife had her way we would have every stray in our town at our house, We are huge dog lovers and ours are basically our kiddoes. They get treated the best possible way we can. And they treat us like royalty.

#53 · (Edited)
I don't know, maybe it's just having 3+ GSD's or GSD like dogs that is more of an issue but we've had 3+ dogs for almost 9 years, two males and two females and have never once ever had a problem.

Our pack has always been two big dogs and two small dogs(all different breeds and some were rescued adults and some were acquired as puppies), maybe that makes some sort of difference I don't know but we've never had a fight and except for a rare air snap they've all just ignored each other. Though four and also our city law is my limit, lol... Just because of space, money and time. Maybe we've just been lucky. :shrug:

I don't think it's my place to tell someone how many dogs they can have... I just probably wouldn't recommend 3 or more to a novice dog owner... It's a huge time and financial commitment.... I mean, I don't work and we don't have kids and they still exhaust me. :)

#54 ·
I think havingmore than two dogs at time would be too much for my household as it currently is ( we have 4 kids ) but if I had older or no children then I think I would be able to devote more time and energy to the balance. Dogs need so much so for me each of our dogs is like having an additional child, they are very demanding but rewarding at the same time.

#55 ·
Could not imagine owning more than one GSD, unless the second one was magically trained in all aspects. Even then, the costs of maintaining the training, good food and vet care is probably too high for this phase in my life.

Pup cost $1500, but since she came home, I've easily spent twice that on her in the last 9 months I've had her. Food every month is $90, and will double with each dog. Training ranges from 20 a lesson to 50 a lesson. Toys and treats are all expensive, but won't increase with dogs.

#56 ·
We have a limit of four here in our city, and I never even intend to approach that. :) Two is my limit, and only one "time and money" consuming breed like a GSD. ;)

But, then, I can't imagine my life without that "one," either. :wub:

#57 ·
Own as many as you want so long as you can provide for them and keep them in check.

My buddy has a "WALL OF DOG" 6 blue heeler. They are all well trained and taken care of. Nobody, not even the Grizzly and wolves will be stealing cattle from him and his family.

If you can't handle one, don't get another.

Kinda simple. Like having kids. If you suck as a parent and can't provide, stop breeding! It's common sense. Too bad it's not so common anymore.

#58 ·
If I didn't have 4 cats, I could afford to feed 3 dogs a month at $65 a dog, so about $200 a month. I have cats though so I could only afford to feed 2 dogs on my own.

I like to envision life in 14+ years, my cats will have passed on and I will not get anymore. I love my cats, the oldest is 6 and the youngest is 1 but the amount of destruction they cause is overwhelming not to mention that my youngest doesn't like to cover her poop in the litter box. :sick:

I would eventually like to just have dogs, either 3 big ones and 1 little one or 4 big ones running around peacefully in my yard. :wub:

#59 ·
I personally find it interesting watching a group of dogs turn into a pack. My family has five pure bread shepherds, and we wouldn't trade them for the world. I take care of my dog Diesel but it can get a little expensive. We live on 20 acres so our dogs have a huge yard to roam around in. I think it depends on where a person lives and how responsible they are at taking care of animals. It shouldn't matter about a number.

#60 ·
IMHO this is a question that has no real answer ... what's right for me might not be right for another person!!!

I consider myself an average dog owner, and I've had up to seven GSDs at one time. Having 7 GSDs at the same time was UNPLANNED, just a set of unforeseen circumstances that happened shortly after I moved down to Florida with three dogs (Yukon, Too & Niki). I knew before I moved that I would be adding baby Ringer, dog number 4, to the family when he was old enough to leave his mama.

However, within a few weeks I also ended up with not only with Ringer, but JR, his 5-1/2 year old sire and his litter sister, Honey, making six dogs ... Kelly the 7th was added about 6 months later when a friend of mine gave him to me as a house warming gift.

This group ranged in age from 7 year old Yukon down to 3 month old Kelly ... the last one of this group. :wub:

Luckily I didn't have any behavior issues, however, I had two HUGE problems, the first being financial (something as simple as boarding them when I went on vacation cost about $85 a day with the multi-dog discount and taking 1 or 2 of them with me). The biggest financial burden came when the 3 youngest guys became senior citizens ... I got into a lot of debt that took years to recover from.

AND the second issue, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM, was the emotional upheaval, the depression, I went thru by losing three beloved dogs in the short time frame of 9 months (Ringer, a month before his 13th birthday, 12-1/2 year old Kelly, and Honey who was 3 months shy of her 14th birthday!!! :teary:

#61 ·
I currently have 3 GSD's one of which is my senior 14 yo GSD. It can be tough to deal with at times, but as I read in one if the replies what might work for someone might not work for others.
If you don't have the pack leader mentality it won't work well for you. Not even with 2 dogs.
Other than being the pack leader you have to think about outdoor/indoor space, food, grooming, and vet bills.

As for me I think three is my limit due to the financial obligation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.