Opinions On Leash Laws - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Opinions On Leash Laws

I know most places have a leash law,but my particular city does not. They do have an ordinance about nuisance dogs though,and your dog must be under verbal control if offleash. I would like opinions on if you think the law should require ALL dogs be leashed regardless of training or should it be a case by case basis?

The only issue that I see with the current law in my city is that there is no detail to outline what is defined as verbal control according to them. Most people who are truly responsible and dog saavy understand what it means,but a lot of people do not. Fortunately there aren't too many instances of dogs running at large,and most people that I have seen use leashes anyway.Even though two of my dogs will heel off leash and won't be a bother to anyone,I still use a leash when I walk them downtown.

Boy I really need to turn my brain off at night so that I don't think so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

Where do you live? I want to move there!
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Crowned Member

I feel there should be a leash law. I think the percentage of dogs who are 100% obedient under all circumstances is next to none. And as someone with a very dog reactive dog, I would be a nervous wreck trying to decide if every off leash dog I saw was a potential threat to my dog or not.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Actually I think it is covered in a sideways fashion under state law by how "at large" which is illegal is defined.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile

Such is the law, the realities of enforcment are probably different and there are expemtpions for offlead hunting dogs

State Parks are pretty agressive and, technically, a lead no longer than 6 feet is allowed.

Hunting dogs are allowed to hunt offlead though and it is one of the few states that has a season for deer hutning using pack dogs.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Air Scent Dog in Training
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Crowned Member

I live in an area with no leash law and wish there was! You can spot a responsible dog owner with an off-leash dog easily. Unfortunately, that has probably happened twice in the time I've lived here.
Nuisance dogs are defined as those that are aggressive to humans or attack livestock. However the onlu recourse is to shoot the dog. There are no fines (except paying for property loss) because ot's legal for dogs to roam. You can't call animal control about stray dogs in your yard. Or dogs pooping in your yard. Or loose dogs running in the highway.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Master Member

The state law says that I can have my dog off leash unsupervised but when it's night time, they have to be supervised. Then the county leash law says I have to have my dog leashed at all times unless they're in a fenced in yard or invisible fence. Then my apartment complex says I have to have my dog leashed at all times.

My neighbors have their dogs off leash all the time. On some occassions, I'll be walking Abby and the run towards her. Luckily, Abby doesn't react aggressively.

I wonder who would be liable if a leashed dog attacked an off leash dog?

Abby - Jan. 1, 2011 to Dec. 27, 2013
Bandit - Sept. 17, 2012
Rogue - Feb. 14, 2014
"A tired dog is a happy one
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM

I think leash laws are fine. We have a 6' leash law here. I would never walk my dogs around loose in high traffic, even the dogs that are trained and titled.

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Elite Member

im actually visiting paris right now and not everyone uses a leash here!!!!
generally, the dogs here are well behaved and stick with the owner, but it makes me so frightened that the dogs will get hurt. i do love how dog friendly this city is though, people bring their dogs to the cafe, park, shopping, EVERYWHERE. i just wish more would use a leash. i am for a leash law where there is a lot of traffic to avoid smushed puppies. but on a backwoods trail, of course i want my dia to explore the smells

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

I like my cities leash law. The dog *must* be on leash, but they don't have a length. I frequently walk my dogs on 30 foot lines in parks and the like.

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD
Scruffy the woofing terror

Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Knighted Member

Our island has leash laws. Dogs must be leashed or fenced. I can still train off lead in the training field where folks bring their dogs to play frisbee or chase balls and no one cares there but I would never walk my dog off lead near the highway or around places where things can happen that you can't plan for. Too many people ignore the laws and then their dogs get hit and the children or the dog pay the price.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page