Opinions On Leash Laws - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am glad we have a leash law.

I do walk early in the morning on our bike trail and allow Benny off leash although he does have on his e-collar ( is that considered a remote leash?) I always have his leash with me and clip it on when another dog is approaching or a person who seems fearful of him. Benny is known by most of the people we pass on these early morning walks and some even bring treats for him.

I wish flexi's did not count as leashes! I get frustrated with people who let their barking dogs all over the place, in Benny's space on the flexi, while I have to get off the path and create distance.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

My neighborhood has people letting their dogs off leash on walks sometimes. I do as well. Everyone keeps close watch of their dogs and when other dogs approach, we all leash up or bring the dogs close. I've only seen well behave dogs off leash. So it works out well. I've been impressed by how courteous and understanding our neighborhood is.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

From a liability standpoint, leash laws are good. From a public safety standpoint, leash laws are good. From a dog safety standpoint, leash laws are good. However I would hate to live somewhere where there were not plenty of off-leash dog areas.

I come from Ireland (countryside) where dogs wander freely in the country and small towns. Problematic dogs don't last long. The smart/mellow ones survive well. These are mostly mutt pets, small-medium sized dogs. I don't think most folk would be happy seeing full sized GSD's roaming around.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm fine with leash laws--what I don't like is the way many towns will ban dogs from public beaches/parks just because one dog messed up. If my dog is on leash and I'm cleaning up after him, why is it such a problem that I walk him down the beach on a rainy day?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Near roads and lots of action my dogs are on leash. When we hike or mountina bike she is lose. She is very good with other dogs and listens well. I find around here only well trained social dogs are off leash. The dog that I see leashed on hikes are often on leash because they are not well trained of socialized.

I find off leash dogs I see one hikes are better behaved then dogs I see at the dog park.

Dogs should not be let to just roam with no owner. That's not good.
Pepper311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I vote for leash laws. I agree, my dogs are well trained but there are too many potential dangers with the highway etc.

URO3, UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/20/03)
UAG1,URO3, UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/4/07)
UAG1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,RN,CGC, (4/4/12)

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #47 (permalink)

I dislike leash laws, but in cities, with so many other dogs, people, cars...it is probably best to have dogs on a leash. One reason why I do not live in a city and would not have a dog if I did.

It is such a different experience to be able to just walk out along back roads, through woods and fields, with the dog trotting along, constantly looking back and making eye contact, smelling things and stopping when it wants, chasing squirrels up trees, jumping in streams...
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #48 (permalink)

Leash laws are an excellent idea and should be obeyed.

I was recently walking our new GSD pup on a leash, when a loose Lab came after her. I did not know the lab's intentions and my dog did not like it, so I ended up kicking it in it's rump in order to chase it off.

It ran away, only to come back a second time. This time it got several kicks in the ribs before it ran off. I noticed a teenager came out of a house, I guess after all the noise. I warned the teenager that if that dog comes after my dog again it will be shot.

I work in law enforcement and always carry when off duty. PA also has a regulation that lets a person kill another dog if it is chasing other domestic animals, farm animals or people. The owners of the Lab came outside and tried to give me crap about threatening their dog. I told them to obey the PA leash law!

My wife and I are animal lovers, owning numerous cats and ferrets beside our GSD. But I will defend my dog.
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

IF and that's a HUGE IF ... people REALLY did have the control over their dogs that they thought they had, I'd support no leashes! But the reality is, people don't.

I see more people being walked by their dog than I see people walking their dog. THIS is why I agree that we need leash laws.

I'll admit, I LOVE to show off just how well behaved Kyleigh is ... We go downtown regularly. I just place the leash around my shoulders, so the loop is kind of hanging beside my neck (if she's on the right, the loop is on the left of my neck) and we walk.

I only have to touch the loop every now and then to keep in place - it moves from me walking. She was THIS awesome downtown from the time she was 9 months old.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the compliments that we get when people stop us. WOW ... how old ... and I LOVE LOVE LOVE to brag about how young she is, and how well behaved she is, and how much she loves to be in the city, exploring and checking things out.

I get so many people that are absolutely STUNNED when they see how well behaved she is ... but it's so awesome to see how some of them come around from being terrified of a GSD to standing beside one (albeit, one that really could care less about them LOL), but they're calm.

I've even told people ... when you see someone that has a dog that is walking them ... seriously, cross the street. This is NOT a dog that the owner can control. Don't "wait" for the "what if", avoid it. Save everyone the trouble.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

We have a leash law and I wish people would obey it more. The law states that outside of a physical fence, all dogs must be leashed (leash must be 6 ft or less). Unfortunately, too many people think because we're in the "boonies" the law doesn't apply to them (some family members seem to think this too -.- ) and it irritates me to no end because almost every single loose dog I've come across has been ill behaved. Between people just opening their doors and letting their dogs loose and people dumping dogs they don't want anymore, I don't walk my dogs in our neighborhood anymore. I go to the parks close to town because closer to town the fewer roaming dogs there are. But if I do walk in my neighborhood, I walk one dog at a time and carry a baseball bat that I have and will use to protect my dogs.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.