Dogs and Jobs; does yours??? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfie takes the trash barrels out to the street on Wednesday nights. He also grabs the other end of the recycle bin and helps me carry that out to the street. Then he brings them back the next day. He gets crazy excited to do this. He is also checks every room of the house at night before we go to bed. I tell him " Wolfie go check" and he goes and searches every room in a certain order then goes to bed.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
My dog's current job is to make sure nothing in the house is free from his teethmarks. Household Residents, Appliances, Clothing, Furniture and everything else included.

In the future, I hope he can settle on a more productive line of work.
Lol! That is hilarious how you put it!..I can currently relate.
cwedge11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwedge11 View Post
Lol! That is hilarious how you put it!..I can currently relate.
Glad I could amuse! Yeah...Gabe is a little whirlwind of teeth and puppy fuzz right now. Although, unfortunately, he seems to have finally taken notice of the cats, and it is his firm belief that cats belong in the kitchen at all times.

I now have a little cat herder on my hands.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #34 (permalink)

Do self appointed jobs count?

Phoebe has decided that the light that crosses the wall when a car goes by outside is a threat to the family...she will sit and stare at the wall, and when she hears a car go by, she's on her feet and charging, barking furiously (unless her mouth happens to be full of a toy). When the light leaves, she trots over to my husband and I, wagging her tail and head held high - she has succeeded in chasing it away once again. Thankfully, we live in a very small village with little to no traffic, or she'd be a nervous wreck.

Eva is very serious about protecting the house. She makes her rounds, checks windows and doors, and checks every bedroom about once an hour at night.

Once everyone is at full health, we're expanding their area to take up the vast majority of our two lots, and we're going to be putting up an agility course for them. The only one we won't have is a wall...we do NOT need Phoebe knowing how to climb any more than she already does.
Phoebe - 1 (GSD)
ladywolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #35 (permalink)

My bogo isn't fully employed however he once had a job being in charge of the wedding rings at my brothers wedding.He looked very smart, he was freshly washed, brushed, and wore a very lovely black leath colar that had the rings attached to it. He was very calm and couldnt stop wagging his tail from the excitement on the day!
Everyone made a very big fuss and gave him lots of treats, a family day to remember
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
DWP

Default Many jobs

They patrol the back yard, the bark at strangers when they get close and check every room when they come in.

One is very adept at tapping any foot or hand that is left unnattended and ensuring it is employed petting and the other makes sure that I am never, never, never, absolutely NEVER left alone while at home!

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #37 (permalink)

Not yet, although I'm coming up with ideas. I'd like her to be able to find my daughters shoes, herd the cat into the house (done once) and put her toys away. We'll see if any of this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

C's most important job is to brace my leg on bad days when I get dizzy and might fall. Her other work mostly involves keeping me company when I have trouble sleeping. She was about 7 years old when she came to this career, and does an excellent job of it.

Z started work a bit earlier in life. She was about 16 weeks old when she began her career as a "service puppy." Currently, at about 2 1/2 years old, she does an excellent job around the house and is beginning to pursue career advancement in a public-access role. (The delay in public-access training was due to my limitations, not hers.)

Her current tasks include:
  • alerting me to phone calls (and helping me locate the phone)
  • alerting me to people at the door
  • telling me when I've left something burning on the stove
  • general smoke alarm duties (though she hasn't been called on to act in that role, thank goodness)
  • alerting me to timers going off
  • reminding me to wear sunglasses when I leave the house
  • prompting me to take meds PRN
Her hobbies include retrieving, "freestyle" tracking, and recently, AKC-style obedience. And general mischief.
JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssandslinger View Post
fun police with the cats.... :/ thats all he wants to do

hahahahaha that was funny..thats what most GSD's do..fun with all the species smaller than their size..
Christiansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Master Member

Interesting thread. We are figuring out that our 10-month old GSD likely needs a job to do. We run and run and run him everynight but it never seems to be enough. He's still very unsettled and doesn't crash until we go up to bed at night.

We have some private training sessions coming up starting this weekend, so one of the things I'll be looking to her for is some suggestions on jobs for Jake. We are trying to introduce toys that he has to think about or has to work to get food/treats out of but once he figures them out he tends to get bored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.