Things you didn't know about GSDs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cool Things you didn't know about GSDs

Until you owned one... I'd love to know odd and some mainstream facts that people just did not know about GSDs until they own one.

I'll start - the whining! I was told when researching the breed that they are not big barkers and usually only bark when they feel its necessary. I can attest to that as my dog really only barks when there's someone at the door or when those **** delivery guys slip menus under the door whereas my neighbor's sheltie seems to just bark its head off out the window and seemingly nothing...

What I wasn't told is the whining . not whining dogs who learned whining will get them what they want but whining as most GSDs do - being vocal, whining when excited, whining when I make funny noises, sometimes just whining out of nowhere (not including health issues that we do not know about that's causing them pain or something) - German shepherds are just big vocal dogs that love to "talk" ... I did not know that until owning one but once I did and asked other shepherds' owners they all pretty much said "oh yea that's a GSD for you" lol

so, what did you not know about until getting a shepherd?
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

the bitting when a puppy!! I thought Molly was aggressive but I learned that GSD's are very mouthy as puppies!
Miss Molly May is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I didn't realize how intelligent they were. Not only to learn tricks, but how fast they learn who is easiest to take advantage of, when to take advantage, etc.

My dad's dog never tested him. Its only thought was "food food food".

I swear when I teach Rocky something he thinks it over in his head...

"Hmmm...Should I do this? What will my reward be? Chicken...sounds good. But I'm going to sit as slow as possible and leave my butt one inch off the floor so that I'm not really sitting but I still get the treat. HAHAHA stupid human. I know mommy doesn't like to correct the petsmart people so I always get to cheat on my tricks."

OR

"I want to pull so bad to sniff that pile of poop. But mommy will get mad and I've been so good lately. OH WAIT! OH MY GOD! There is another human walking our way!! Mommy won't correct me loudly when another human comes because it embarrasses her. TIME TO RUN FOR THE POOP!"
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Also, he bit and scratched me for the first two months I had him. I literally couldn't pet my dog. I would hide on the bed so he couldn't get me.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How nosey & curious they are!

I was getting a tote from under my bed last night, all of a sudden my boy is laying flat with his head under the bed sniffing...wanting to know what I'm doing! lol
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just how Velcro-like they can be. I knew they were watchful and followed their owners around but not being able to go to the bathroom alone ever again or sneeze without them jumping up out of a dead sleep looking for the threat to mom or dad... wow. lol.

Also the back-talking. I've never had a dog around that would back talk when told to sit or down or something.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
How nosey & curious they are!

I was getting a tote from under my bed last night, all of a sudden my boy is laying flat with his head under the bed sniffing...wanting to know what I'm doing! lol
Haha yea somehow no matter what I'm doing I can turn around and see his little whiskers and nostrils moving around Always trying to "help"
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
the bitting when a puppy!! I thought Molly was aggressive but I learned that GSD's are very mouthy as puppies!
What SHE ^^^ said. We thought we had a problem dog on our hands but she was just a normal GSD pup. Also didn't know how smart they are. Abby's a rocket scientist compared to previous dogs. And talkative ... my wife calls her our interactive dog. One thing the breeder said after listening to our complaining was, "I don't really like my GSDs until they are around a year old. Then they always prove that they were worth the trials they put me through."
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I didn't know how goofy and playful they can be. They look like such serious dogs but they can be total clowns when they want to be.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
I didn't know how goofy and playful they can be. They look like such serious dogs but they can be total clowns when they want to be.
Yes, this is a good one!
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.